Vote Sniping... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote Sniping...

you'd have to try harder to offend here!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

The voting system is what the voting system is.
    I guess this site it was set up at roughly the same time as a lot of other "rate my ...." websites ( insert your own word, really anything, and there will probably be a site for it). CA did a great job and to start with the voting system worked because it was new, there were not quite so many regular users and to be fair it's a bit niche. Nowadays the site - well the voting system suffers because of the popularity this site has gained. There are now over 8000 artist listed. That's pretty amazing. Now OK not all of those listed will have posted a pic and some will no longer be used but that's still a great achievement.

Unfortunately the voting system is open to all of the public. Thus you get snipers - mostly kids with nothing better to do with there time but to vote one on everything because " it's fun to screw with the system". You will also get fan boys who vote 10 for everything, the difference there is that they may actually think that everything that a particualr artist does deserves a 10, even if it doesn't in your opinion deserve it.

The only really fair way of having a voting system would be to have a core of say 50 people who are the only people who can vote. That way you could guarantee consistant scores. That, however, would mean starting the site again ... not going to happen .... and it would tie up a lot of time for those 50 people having to make time to vote on everything that is posted... also highly unlikely.

So yes the voting system is flawed but it's staying and we just have to live with it. Accept the score you get with a pinch of salt and be happy with the work you are doing. If you still want to improve, post on the forums.

Keep painting and keep posting.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Quote Originally Posted by nels0nmac View Post
    Unfortunately the voting system is open to all of the public. Thus you get snipers - mostly kids with nothing better to do with there time but to vote one on everything because " it's fun to screw with the system". You will also get fan boys who vote 10 for everything, the difference there is that they may actually think that everything that a particualr artist does deserves a 10, even if it doesn't in your opinion deserve it.

The only really fair way of having a voting system would be to have a core of say 50 people who are the only people who can vote. That way you could guarantee consistant scores. That, however, would mean starting the site again ... not going to happen .... and it would tie up a lot of time for those 50 people having to make time to vote on everything that is posted... also highly unlikely.

So yes the voting system is flawed but it's staying and we just have to live with it. Accept the score you get with a pinch of salt and be happy with the work you are doing. If you still want to improve, post on the forums.

Keep painting and keep posting.
    And even having just 50 people voting is unfair. Voting is purely subjective. Look at the Oscars - a selected bunch of people who pick all of what they view as the best stuff for the year (which I disagree with a lot lol). It would be the same way - those 50 voters would have their own voting tendencies, which may or may not agree with how you feel about the minis they vote on. I learned long ago if you base happiness on your score, you won't ever be happy. You can always score a little higher, or your mini deserved better, etc etc... in the end the only thing that matters is if you love what you have produced, and if you are a commission painter, that your customers are very happy.

Snipers and vote padding are very annoying, but it is what it is /shrug It's the internet, what can ya expect!
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    Well I think the voting system is a fun thing, I do personally love the voting system, I vote sensibly, as most people here probably do. Unfortunately there are always a few people who spoil it for the rest. Thats a pretty universally applicable fact right there. As I say, use it for fun, but I wouldn't attach great importance to it. The serious painters and players here certainly know a good model when they see it and won't think any less of it because of a low score.

dfb

ps - waffleman - I left a couple of comments on your pics.
    Yes, thankyou for this (and others who commented because of this thread) i have taken your advice and will now be the better painter for it, I will also repost them with better pictures (hopefully :L) and with 'improvements' as it were .

Quote Originally Posted by uglybug View Post
    +1 for a GW mini
    +2 for a space marine
    +1 for cool backdrop
    +1 for good photography
    -1 for a game system mini that's not GW
    0 change for non game mini such as smart max (studio mcvay use to enjoy this status but will no longer due to sedition wars)
    -2 for warmachine
    -2 if you have fewer then 200 posts
    -1 if you ask for feed back
    -2 for small photos
    -2 for bad lighting
    -3 for bad camera focus
    Please follow the standard format. Deviating from this grading system will result in being ground into a resin compound to be used in making GW fine cast
    Hey, that's not bad! I could think of a few additions but most of those look pretty much dead-on to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post
    Everyone who posts is in the same boat and yet some people still manage to score over 9. How could this possibly be with all those nasty snipers?!!!
    The compensatory fanboy vote for one. 250 imaginary voters (literally no exaggeration in some cases) who vote it a 10 for another.

Quote Originally Posted by nels0nmac View Post
    Accept the score you get with a pinch of salt and be happy with the work you are doing. .
    Words to live by.

Einion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    you'd have to try harder to offend here!
    Doodie head. >: (

See what I did there? The mean face makes all the difference, it shows I meant it. never underestimate the power of emotes...
    Slandering Tim aside, yeah. It does annoy me when I see really excellent works minus voted into oblivion, i've seen easy 9's sitting at 6 before now believe it or not! What encourages people to trash a vote? No idea. Fact is though, should we care? Yeah, ok, it's annoying, but there are still going to be people that really dig what you're about with your work and will be there to encourage you/ give advice/ constructive criticism. People looking to do commissions can still refer people to their gallery, i'm fairly sure they won't be looking at the scores to confirm what their eyes are looking at. Unless you're me, but i'm a pedantic little bastard.
    But not really.
    Or am I...
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Doodie head. >: (

See what I did there? The mean face makes all the difference, it shows I meant it. never underestimate the power of emotes...
    Slandering Tim aside, yeah. It does annoy me when I see really excellent works minus voted into oblivion, i've seen easy 9's sitting at 6 before now believe it or not! What encourages people to trash a vote? No idea. Fact is though, should we care? Yeah, ok, it's annoying, but there are still going to be people that really dig what you're about with your work and will be there to encourage you/ give advice/ constructive criticism. People looking to do commissions can still refer people to their gallery, i'm fairly sure they won't be looking at the scores to confirm what their eyes are looking at. Unless you're me, but i'm a pedantic little bastard.
    But not really.
    Or am I...
    somewhat disagree. alot of ppl are sheep and do need others to confirm what their eyes are looking at

Blog Entries

I suppose that is undoubtedly true in some cases, but it's a sad lonely state to exist in.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

@TBS How Dare you take my Old Location. Lol >

Blog Entries

I've always been there. You are underestimating my sneakiness ,sir! I am, vvvery sneaky.

White with black lining can be very effective. Ive seen minis get honourable mentions in white dwarf about GD entries.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by MrPickles View Post
    i think i found the best comparison ever. the white one is better. lol hahahaha
    I don't know, the black one's better in technique, but the white has conversions or at least rare parts that make it look more unique.
    Still as I've read here numerous times it's coolmini not coolpaintjob.com.
    If they both were offered to choose one to take I don't really know which one I'd choose. Probably still the black as I'm a sucker for dark colors, but the other has it's 'charm' too.

And at least for the registered part the scoring looks good, so no problems there.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    I don't know, the black one's better in technique, but the white has conversions or at least rare parts that make it look more unique.
    Still as I've read here numerous times it's coolmini not coolpaintjob.com.
    If they both were offered to choose one to take I don't really know which one I'd choose. Probably still the black as I'm a sucker for dark colors, but the other has it's 'charm' too.

And at least for the registered part the scoring looks good, so no problems there.
    oh ya, sorry. i forgot that any marine with a forgeworld maximus helmet instantly gets +4 score. my bad.....

i would probably pay 5 bucks for the white one so i could pop off and strip the maximus helmet.

(goes to ebay looking for cheap maximus helmets)

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    And even having just 50 people voting is unfair. Voting is purely subjective. Look at the Oscars - a selected bunch of people who pick all of what they view as the best stuff for the year (which I disagree with a lot lol). It would be the same way - those 50 voters would have their own voting tendencies, which may or may not agree with how you feel about the minis they vote on. I learned long ago if you base happiness on your score, you won't ever be happy. You can always score a little higher, or your mini deserved better, etc etc... in the end the only thing that matters is if you love what you have produced, and if you are a commission painter, that your customers are very happy.

Snipers and vote padding are very annoying, but it is what it is /shrug It's the internet, what can ya expect!
    This is what Im gonna aspire to, as long as Im happy and you guys like it then thats what all I can ask for......if i can just get this blinkin cape to look right...

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    White with black lining can be very effective. Ive seen minis get honourable mentions in white dwarf about GD entries.
    rly huh? so white spray primer + badab black = 80+ dollar marine.

profit? i could speed paint those in like half an hour. i'm skeptical on the actual value tho.

Im getting the impression you don't agree with some of the other opinions about different styles of painting. Art in all forms is a subjective matter, whats good to some is not to others.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by MrPickles
    i forgot that any marine with a forgeworld maximus helmet instantly gets +4 score
    could be added to that list from uglybug.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPickles View Post
    rly huh? so white spray primer + badab black = 80+ dollar marine.

profit? i could speed paint those in like half an hour. i'm skeptical on the actual value tho.
    if that's what the people need, why not? If I'd be sure about that it works like that I may do it instead of my job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Art in all forms is a subjective matter, whats good to some is not to others.
    There is an exception to that rule, it's called the Tate Gallery. I have a great idea for my own piece of conceptual art which I have no doubt I could get into the Tate and even stand a chance of the Turner prize. Here is the idea, its very simple - excuse the crudeness they have exhibited cruder though most certainly.

Step 1
    I create two pieces of signage 1) "This Way To The Greatest Exhibit In This Gallery!" and another which says "The Greatest Exhibit In This Gallery"

Step 2

I get a load of those little cordon things on bases to guide the public directly to the exhibit and place sign number 1 at the beginning of the cordon sectioning and create a direct corridor to the Gents toilets.

Step 3

After much curry, spicy food and sweetcorn the night before I pay a trip to the lavatory of The Tate and take a number 2.

Step 4

I place sign number 2 over the newly created exhibit and proceed to the main gallery where I meet and greet all my adoring fans and hand out autographs on bog roll.

Step 5

DFB wins turner prize and becomes an uber rich mega artist, buys Rackham and hires the worlds top sculptors under one studio to create the greatest miniature company in living history.

And just for the record I hate conceptual art.....

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    There is an exception to that rule, it's called the Tate Gallery. I have a great idea for my own piece of conceptual art which I have no doubt I could get into the Tate and even stand a chance of the Turner prize. Here is the idea, its very simple - excuse the crudeness they have exhibited cruder though most certainly.

Step 1
    I create two pieces of signage 1) "This Way To The Greatest Exhibit In This Gallery!" and another which says "The Greatest Exhibit In This Gallery"

Step 2

I get a load of those little cordon things on bases to guide the public directly to the exhibit and place sign number 1 at the beginning of the cordon sectioning and create a direct corridor to the Gents toilets.

Step 3

After much curry, spicy food and sweetcorn the night before I pay a trip to the lavatory of The Tate and take a number 2.

Step 4

I place sign number 2 over the newly created exhibit and proceed to the main gallery where I meet and greet all my adoring fans and hand out autographs on bog roll.

Step 5

DFB wins turner prize and becomes an uber rich mega artist, buys Rackham and hires the worlds top sculptors under one studio to create the greatest miniature company in living history.

And just for the record I hate conceptual art.....

dfb
    lollll i agree. throw some unpainted forgeworld parts ontop of that number 2 to get an even higher rating. lol.

anyone want a tattoo? iv never done it before and have no clue wtf i'm doing - uhhhhhh, i mean, it's a new style, very conceptual. trust me, you'll love it.