Non-Bleached Bone bone

Thread: Non-Bleached Bone bone

Default Non-Bleached Bone bone

Hi all. I'm painting some GW ghouls but have run into a small problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. The skin colour I've chosen is a bleached bone base with sepia wash and purple glazing (to tone down the yellowness of bleached bone). The problem is that they are carrying various bones and skulls and I've done my bone painting with bleached bone for years and it looks too close to the skin colour. Can anyone recommend a colour recipe for bone that doesn't use Bleached Bone (or equivalent) as a base?

Thanks in advance.

try starting your bone with GWs Iyaden Darksun. Its one of the "foundation" paints. Then wash with a dark brown. Scorched is ok but if you have P3s Umbral or Vallejos Dark rust from their Panzer Ace line these seem to work better.. then come back in with the Iyaden and work your highlights with your Bleched bone or Reapers Ivory . This will make a very nice Yellowed bone that will stand out nice with your purple bone skin tones.. try playing around with the Iyaden and tone it more yellow or less. hope this helps.

Blog Entries

P3 Trollblood Hilight is a very sweet color to use, it's sort of a bone/grey mixture. Trollblood with any dark brown mixed in for shades and any bone/khaki for hilighting would be sweet, methinks Even Trollblood Hilight + White would work just as easily.
    Please feel free to check out my hobby blog, IMMATERIUM PRESS. Rumors, hobby articles, community building and tournament organization. Many thanks

So many recipes available.
    Bone can be all differing colours due to how old it is and where and in what it's been buried.
    You could use combinations of Dheneb Stone and Snakebite Leather, Dheneb Stone on its own, Dheneb Stone and Skull White. That's assuming you are only using GW's paints.

If you have access I'd suggest considering Vallejo Model Colour Deck Tan or Iraqi Sand or Dark Sand. Add Burnt Umber as shades.

Edit: If you want to do a Google image search, don't just type in BONES, like I just did, all I got was the TV series.
    Try Skeletal Remains instead gives a much better range of bone colouration to work from.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 09-04-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Edit: If you want to do a Google image search, don't just type in BONES, like I just did, all I got was the TV series.
    Was looking for some reference photos one time, and typed in "Bear Muscles" with safe search off... needless to say I won't be making that mistake again! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Was looking for some reference photos one time, and typed in "Bear Muscles" with safe search off... needless to say I won't be making that mistake again! ;D
    Still laughing at that while typing this...

I 2nd the suggestion earlier to go for a yellowy bone color as that will indeed play off of the purple tones in the skin since yellow can be a direct complement. My yellow bone starts with beasty brown followed by desert yellow then you can just add white to that. Wash it near the skin and joints with a little Ogryn flesh to give it that "meaty bones" look (another topic I wouldn't want to plug into google images right there for sure!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Try Skeletal Remains instead gives a much better range of bone colouration to work from.
    Yep Wife did an image search on Detest Ikea.............Not Safe for Work, Maiden Aunties or Nuns.
    Be warned.

Safe and topic related search Forensic Anthropology, Archeological Skeletal Remains.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Hey, speaking statistically, there was a 5% chance you'd actually like the results Beats the time I was researching ruminant vision and GIS'ed "goat see".

@ Benihana - *shudder* i feel your pain.

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone! I tried a couple things but finally settled on a grey/brown highlighted up to almost pure white. I think it turned out pretty well. Here's a quick pic of how it turned out (along with the rest of the model). Cheers!

A new recipe I've started using for TT stuff:

Menoth White Base
    Black Wash
    Ogryn Flesh Wash
    Menoth White Base- cleanup from the washes
    Menoth White Highlight
    pure white if neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by No Such Agency View Post
    Hey, speaking statistically, there was a 5% chance you'd actually like the results Beats the time I was researching ruminant vision and GIS'ed "goat see".
    yikes. just the word can strike fear in those who have been exposed once.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.