Steveys thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steveys thread

stevey293

Default Steveys thread

Everyone else has one so thought id jump on the band wagon too. I've been painting for around a year now.

Here is my current WIP inquisitor Coteaz.

Its probably a while before any c&c can be given but i thought id get started.

Blog Entries

lovely highlighting on the collar. This is very promising.....I shall of course be watching.

There are loads of new people on this forum all posting WIP's which is really great to see! Keep them coming!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

I am not a real fan of NMM, particulary the sky/earth kind, however I think you have some of the basics down, that being said I think the blue is too blue, and I feel a stronger, darker line between earth and sky would be better.

Ashton

stevey293

Yeah i see what you mean about the sky/earth ive never tried it so im learning as i go along. Im going to start the armour again ot at least glaze more ice blue into it and same with lighter brown.

Thanks.

Hmmmm, the skye earth nmm is extremely hard to pull off. And im not really a fan.

But good luck

stevey293

Yeah looked easy till i tried it.

Im doing it as thin as i can so if i totally mess it up i can start again or change idea. Liking red if this dosn't work.

I really like the blue you have going. Doesnt work for SENMM, as I think its too deep/saturated, but its a really nice blue by itself. If you end up giving up on SENMM you should just do the straight blue.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

stevey293

Your not the first to say that. Thank you.

Tbh its a really big push for me and way out my comfort zone but you dont improve if you dont push yourself.

Im trying to lighten up the model as i type.

Looking around at some of the other nmm on here tells me i have a long way to go how many golden daemon winners are there on here?

stevey293

He failed a drop test ooops.

Its hard to see in the pictures but i've lightened the chest plate trying to get that right so i have something to compare to when i do the rest.

Ahh, the 2nd attempt is much more realistic looking I think. The lighter blue is exactly what you're after when doing SENMM, I think the brown should go darker still, but this is coming along great so far!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevey293 View Post
    Looking around at some of the other nmm on here tells me i have a long way to go how many golden daemon winners are there on here?
    Lots!! But I couldn't say how many post in this forum. Elly is your man for nmm, he has been posting on here a lot and there is much nmm goodness in his WIP thread if you read through it. I am sure a PM to him for advice if required would not go unheeded.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

stevey293

Another WIP shot not the best quality was being bullied by a baby.

The first blue is very beautiful but as others have said, a bit too blue for chrome senmm. The pictures after are looking better as you tone down the colors, but I still think you need to tone them both...blue and brown down a bit more to make it a bit more believable. That said, your blends are very nice and smooth. This looks like a nice project to bump up your skills on.

Also, I remembered from awhile ago when I was really doing a lot of research into nmm I ran across Ana's wolf priest done in chrome. Found the article over at Chest of Colors, if you're interested. Unfortunately she doesn't have WIP pics, but she describes her thought process and color choices pretty well I think.
    http://chestofcolors.com/how-to-pain...l-wolf-priest/
    -Aureo

stevey293

Thank you. Im starting to think coteaz isn't the right model for it. It would suit females in armour as they have more curves.

Update:

Bit more work. Im being told to lighten and darken the browns on the armour so im just going to do more to the rest and see how it looks then.

Face finished and started the gold used oils for the first time for this its so much easier for golds but still needs more work.

Last edited by stevey293; 09-10-2011 at 03:12 PM.

stevey293

The main body is now about 3/4 done bit more gold another white glaze on the armour and the legs which shudn't take long.

Eagle is going to be a pain and im a bit lost with the hammer.

Oh and now i've remembered the whites.

stevey293

Took a risk and tried something really new and a bit of a grey area.

Oil paints.
    I've always really struggled with capes so i thought i'd give this a try. Personally im really happy with it but i feel oil paints used run out after this and weathering tanks.

aah, senmm, cool. the effect can be really cool if done well. think you are heading the right way, but you have to carefully analyze every object how its affected. the breastplates work out well, but the shoulderplate shuld be slightly rounded. anyway pretty cool

again... i have to tryout oils soon!

stevey293

I wouldn't its STILL WET?!? From that picture.

stevey293

Still waiting on coteaz drying might paint white spirit over it and see if that does anything.

In the meantime dark vlad from enigma im sure you already know but he's a very good quality metal mini, to make it better still i think i got among the first of a new mould hardly a mould line on him nevermind defect.

Coat is still very much a WIP i feel it needs a little more contrast and deffo needs tidyed up a bit as the layers are still a little harsh. Im leaving the skin for last as i really have no idea what to do with it probably grey with red/purple recesses.

Update:
    Painted the head it was bugging me.

Tried painting the skin on the shoulders to look dirty they out shine the head though so i might need to dry a more dead looking skin to dull it down. Im trying to go for a very dull mini as he's ment to be a bad man.
    Last edited by stevey293; 09-17-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Adding another update.

looking good stevey. I like the head. looks good.

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno