Blood Angels Honour Guard/Veteran

Thread: Blood Angels Honour Guard/Veteran

Default Blood Angels Honour Guard/Veteran

Hi guys,

http://www.coolminiornot.com/287199

I'm looking for some tips on what you think I could have done differently on this mini. I painted it up 3 or 4 days before GD UK last year after my roving cat destroyed my initial entry (hes getting a habit of doing this...grrr).

I was originally going to do a 5 man squad of these for the same GD but shiny new minis caught my eye and I did that instead. I'm now planning to do the whole squad with a scenic base and save it for GD UK 2012 so I'm after comments and critisisms in the early stages so I have a good while to get it right.

As always anything you can give me information wise will be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Col
    Last edited by ColtheReaver; 09-14-2011 at 06:25 AM.
    GD UK '09' Finalist - 40k Single Miniature
    Hartlepool Old Gits gaming club
    My ranking:

really nice man.

i think your red is lacking a bit. see how in your picture on the chest it kinda pops out with the bright blood red colour. it needs more of that all over the model.

besides that, very nice.

Really nice! What is your recipe for that Gold? I can never get anything gold to look like gold...just ends up looking like brown paint!

Also, I dig that avatar...

Hi Supervike,
    The recipe for the gold is actually pretty simple. I basecoat with calthan brown then mix bubonic brown in with that and layer it on adding a touch of bleached bone with every layer. I wash it with a mix of vallejo yellow and vallejo brown ink that has been thinned quite a bit so it doesnt make it look too brassy. after that just pick out your main lightpoints with a mix of bleached bone and skull white and a dot of skull white for the final light spots.

Thats the same recipe om using on my GD UK entry for this year.

Hope thats helpful buddy.

Col
    My ranking:

For what it's worth, I've had my cat do the same thing several times. It is very annoying (to say the least, the first time it happened I literally chased the thing around the house for an hour) to come into your workroom in the morning, and find random items lying on the ground and what appears to have been a weed-wacker has gone through your collection. After threatening taxidermy to my wife, we made some changes. First, my workroom has a latch on it now, as somehow the cat has figured out door handles. It is her responsibility to make sure the door is latched at night, as it my responsibility not to kill her cat. Also, there is a spray bottle of water in the room, and if she or I even sees the cat coming near it gets blasted.

The upside of these efforts is that my cat hasn't broken anything recently. Plus it keeps the hair out of that room off my models. Downside is they're cats, and they know you don't want them in there, so that one time you don't latch it and fall asleep when you didn't expect, they will attack. Be ever vigilant!

Yup...I put a lock on the door that needed a key after that. What got my goat is the room I paint in has a very comfortable bed in it that is always made up in case my friends decide to crash at my place but the cat still chose to make a beeline for the shelves. And this cat isnt a little cat either...its built like a bloody tank
    My ranking:

nice work, i hate cats...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Nice work indeed....I too have an overwhelming aversion to cats. We have too many for my tastes. Finished minis are either cased or in one of two 7 foot double glass cabinets. The only issue now is the 3 year old grandson...lol
    Coolmini.............Cos I'm akward.

yeah I've got some glass cabinets on order from ikea...cat proof hopefully
    My ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by ColtheReaver View Post
    ...cat proof hopefully
    the furballs never have gotten into mine fortunately :0)

not to hijack but... what case are you using for display? I need to pick something up.

Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr23r View Post
    not to hijack but... what case are you using for display? I need to pick something up.
    I have some of the Ikea glass front cabinets myself, kept the cats out for the last 11 or so years ;0)

My ranking:

very nice....with all the new plastics you will never have to worry about the max shelf weight..lol