Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama - Page 16
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama

ah damn forgot it is 28mm scale -_-' I see how that would look just fine irl. my bad
    was just wondering did you use anything special for printing these posters? special paper or glue to hold these flipped edges?
    now show off some further progress!

The posters are just printed out on ordinary photocopier paper. I gently sanded the edges from the back to make the paper thinner and then soaked the posters in water to make them a bit more malleable. The damp posters were glued on with PVA wood glue and the corners shaped with a clean brush. I started building up ink washes before the paper was dry so it could soak in more easily. The ink & PVA help to strengthen the paper.

Hopefully I'll have some new pics at the weekend to show this weeks progress on the Tomb King.

A couple of pics to bring the Tomb King up to date. Nothing too dramatic here I'm gradually covering up those boring areas of base coat and working up the detail.

Name:  TombKingBase22.jpeg
Views: 1094
Size:  141.9 KBName:  TombKingBase23.jpeg
Views: 1100
Size:  110.0 KB

Damn, had forgotten how awesome that piece is
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Amazing piece, the turquoise stone is just a great idea!
    The NMM is ace, which red did you use? It seems like Dark flesh with some ivory for highlight.
    The base color layer seem so smooth, did you airbrush the mini? Did you use black basing with rough white highlight? I used this technique recently, and it seems simply easier to paint, less chalky highlight because the under layer is still there visible.
    The color selection is also great, bit pastel to emphasize key components by contrast!
    Final word, A really great paintjob!

Astoundingly great painting, I'm in awe.

Ahh yes got my sproket painting fix back! Damn fine work a blow by blow on colour choice technique etc would be good pleeeaaassee
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Top notch stuff. Glad to see you back in the saddle! Gonna be great when it's complete
    My Rank -

Quote Originally Posted by boubi View Post
    Amazing piece, the turquoise stone is just a great idea!
    The NMM is ace, which red did you use? It seems like Dark flesh with some ivory for highlight.
    I haven't used red but scorchred brown which has quite a lot of red in it. I made a tutorial for my blog a while back that explains my approach to NMM copper
    http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co...lustrated.html

The base color layer seem so smooth, did you airbrush the mini? Did you use black basing with rough white highlight? I used this technique recently, and it seems simply easier to paint, less chalky highlight because the under layer is still there visible.
    Name:  tomb king 13.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  330.6 KB

The base colour is painted with a brush. The trick is to paint several diluted coats and take your time. I probably put too much time and effort into painting a base coat but I think it's important as it sets the foundation for everything else. I vary the colour of my base coat depending on the miniature but most of my recent base coats have been brown. I rarely use pure black in my painting these days as it can sometimes deaden a colour scheme. In my case it can also contribute to the style of a mini looking a bit cartoony, something my painting style needs no help with. It's also fun to experiment with alternatives to using black.

The color selection is also great, bit pastel to emphasize key components by contrast!
    Final word, A really great paintjob!
    Thanks, I'm very pleased with how this colour scheme is turning out. I've been concentrating on calming down my colour schemes as my natural inclination is to use contrasting rather than harmonious colours and turn them up to the max! I'm trying to apply my colour sensibilities to a more natural/subdued palette.

This weekend I took a more focused approach and set myself a target. I decided to concentrate on painting the Tomb King's weapon to see if I could get it finished. In total I managed about ten hours painting time and as it's turned out the weapon wasn't finished but that's only because I decided to go back and rework the blade.

Name:  TombKingBase26.jpeg
Views: 2147
Size:  163.8 KB

I really disliked the orange areas of the blade. They were far too bright and looked ugly! I decided to knock them right back by creating a darker overall look for the blade with some washes and glazing. For the most part I planed to use a mix of GW scorched brown and Vallejo dark sea blue.

Yesterday evening I spent some more time painting the blade and I'm feeling much happier about how its now looking.

Name:  TombKingBase27.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  114.8 KB

Newbie, please be gentle Mike the bike's Avatar

This is amazing. Superbly painted and the base is absolutely stunning.

Btw: Your clown with the pie looked like something out of HBO:s tv-show Carnivalé. Really cool mini.
    Last edited by Mike the bike; 09-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Blog Entries

I liked the orange on the blade mate, that's probably because I just finished painting rust all over the place on my last piece.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

sproket, i love your style and this mini is coming along beautifully. cannot fault th change on the blade, i think you made the right call.

Superb!
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

The rust was very well done, but I see what you mean. The second version seems to fit better with the overall look. Great work as always. Can't wait to see more.

I personally like both blades! I liked the texture the first brought to the model and the style it was done it, very vibrant yet still obviously still worn. It was set apart from the usual due to that vibrancy. The second however is beautifully smooth and feels to me to not only fit the model a little more but your painting style in general, from what I have seen.

Keep up the great work, Shakes.

Thanks for the comments they have helped me get my head around what I want for the blade so... I've re-worked the blade on the weapon (again) to reintroduce a little of the rust I had on my first try. This time I've given it a more subtle stained/splotchy look by applying a thin layer of clean water to the blade then dotting on diluted orange paint and letting this colour bleed a little into the water. I've gone for a similar approach on the scale armour cloak the mini is wearing as it brings a bit more variety to the overall look without introducing something too new and different to the colour scheme.

Name:  TombKingBase28.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  375.5 KBName:  TombKingBase29.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  378.5 KBName:  TombKingBase30.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  388.1 KB

I've painted my last bandage and it didn't come a day too soon! This just leaves the back of the collar and the papyrus scroll to paint so I'm finally beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel!

It's all looking lovely. My only critique would be that although the highlights on the mini are pretty pingy, the blade itself doesn't look...well, "sharp". Maybe a slightly brighter extreme edge highlight would make it look sharper? At the moment it looks like he could club you round the head with it, but not cut it off. Still, that's just my personal take on it. Overall the mini is looking fantastic.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Absolutely amazing work. This kind of work is the reason I got in to figure painting along with airbrush art and building automotive models.

Quote Originally Posted by me_in_japan View Post
    It's all looking lovely. My only critique would be that although the highlights on the mini are pretty pingy, the blade itself doesn't look...well, "sharp". Maybe a slightly brighter extreme edge highlight would make it look sharper? At the moment it looks like he could club you round the head with it, but not cut it off. Still, that's just my personal take on it. Overall the mini is looking fantastic.
    The edge highlights were always a bit subtle but when I reworked the blade they got lost! Worst of all I hadn't noticed!!
    I've now gone back and made the extreme edge highlights lighter to get a bit more definition back onto the weapons edge.

Name:  TombKingBase31.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  291.2 KB

So beautiful. Almost there sproket.
    Cant wait to see this 100% finished.
    The edge highlights on the blade really made a massive difference.