Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama - Page 17
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama

Excellent work, as usual, if possible i would like to know a bit more about your technique. Last time you told me that you are spending a long time on the base coat, which makes lots of sense... But for all these nice blending on top of it, which technique do you use? Repeated thin layers of paint? Or wet on wet blending? Or both?
    i would also like to know how long do you spend on one mini to reach this level? And for example how long did you spend on one legging for your copper TMM?

I know that's lots of questions, but i really appreciate your painting style and i would like to know more for my future improvements.

What Boubi said goes for me too. Tell us your secrets gowaan gowaan gowaan gowaan gowaan. Er sorry too much father Ted.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by boubi View Post
    Excellent work, as usual, if possible i would like to know a bit more about your technique. Last time you told me that you are spending a long time on the base coat, which makes lots of sense... But for all these nice blending on top of it, which technique do you use? Repeated thin layers of paint? Or wet on wet blending? Or both?
    i would also like to know how long do you spend on one mini to reach this level? And for example how long did you spend on one legging for your copper TMM?

I know that's lots of questions, but i really appreciate your painting style and i would like to know more for my future improvements.

Almost all of my painting is done with repeated thin layers of paint. I work this way with regular paints, foundation paints and washes. I usually dilute my paint right down to something like a wash, about the consistency of skimmed milk. It's important to make sure each layer is dry before applying the next as such thin layers can lift off if its not fully dry before you apply the next!

I don't work wet on wet - that's just my personal preference.

I always spend far too long on each mini I paint and a lot of that time is spent literally watching paint dry or planning my next move! Something like one of the copper leg guards would usually take me between one and two hours to paint. As a very rough estimate I've been working on the Tomb King for about 20 weeks now and on average I manage about four hours painting time a week so thats a total of 80 hours. Believe it or not I've become quicker over the years!
    Last edited by Sproket; 10-09-2012 at 08:59 AM.

I was guessing that you were using this technique, i am, myself practicing it and start to get better. I am sometimes too impatient but you gave me the motivation to take my time on the mini i really like. But from what i can see with your miniatures is that the hard and long work is really paying. You are a great source of inspiration and i would like to thank you for sharing it with us...

I had a really productive day on Saturday and finally finished painting the Tomb King!!! I've got a few scenic bits and pieces to paint up for the base and then I need to pull everything together for the overall composition.

Name:  TombKingBase32a.jpeg
Views: 818
Size:  563.3 KBName:  TombKingBase32b.jpeg
Views: 824
Size:  309.2 KB

Wow. That's some serious talent.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

ooooooh yeah, reeeeally sweet.
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Outstanding work sir, please can you give me the address of the demon you sold your soul to in exchange for your painting skills

Oh and your photography is spot on also.
    Last edited by 10 ball; 10-15-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Outstanding as usual!!!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

hat's off, sir. A pleasure to behold, as always.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Lovely work good sir lovely .
    Visit my Hobby webstore at http://battleroadhobbies.com/ . Also I am available for commission just shoot me a pm.

Really good stuff! Mind if I ask how you did the blood drops coming off the parchment? Thanks!
    My Rank -

Top notch painting, any more tips, appreciated

Chapeau sir!
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Excellent work!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Outstanding work sir, please can you give me the address of the demon you sold your soul to in exchange for your painting skills

Oh and your photography is spot on also.

Any crossroads. A Crossroads Demon is typically summoned by burying a container of ritual items, including a photograph of the summoner, graveyard dirt, a black cat bone, and possibly yarrow at the center of a crossroads.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Blog Entries

Sproket,

Simply Amazing.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Thanks so much for all the comments guys. All the feedback has really helped me to bring this project together.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Really good stuff! Mind if I ask how you did the blood drops coming off the parchment? Thanks!
    The drips are built up with GW water effects (mixed with red gore,and tamiya smoke) over a supporting hair.

There is a tutorial for the method on my blog:
    http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co...slime-and.html

Lovely blood affects thers and as ever your painting is sublime. Just a quick question were the hieroglyphs drawn on or painted on? I find it very difficult to paint on lettering and keep it in proportion and tidy.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Lovely blood affects thers and as ever your painting is sublime. Just a quick question were the hieroglyphs drawn on or painted on? I find it very difficult to paint on lettering and keep it in proportion and tidy.
    Hi Andy, the hieroglyphs are painted. For any sort of freehand detail I find it helps to lightly plan out a few initial lines/strokes rather than going straight in and trying to paint a hieroglyph or letter in one go. Sometimes I do this with a diluted version of the final colour but I often use a sharp but soft pencil, both take a light touch. There is also a lot of going back in with the background colour and neatening up the edges.