Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama - Page 18
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama

Cheers for letting me know just going to have to neaten up my lettering.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    Thanks so much for all the comments guys. All the feedback has really helped me to bring this project together.

The drips are built up with GW water effects (mixed with red gore,and tamiya smoke) over a supporting hair.

There is a tutorial for the method on my blog:
    http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co...slime-and.html
    Awesome thanks a ton!

Can't wait to see this guy on his base
    My Rank -

I finally glued the King onto the base together with the pile of skulls he is resting his foot upon. I always find this stage pretty nerve racking as it just takes one miss step with the superglue and you are in for a world of pain! I made a point of having several glue free practice runs and viewing them from all angles before committing. I then used the garden soil/superglue combination that I'd textured the mummy pit with to cover up the joins. I am really very pleased with how the mini now looks on the base.

Name:  Skulls_zps504e8923.jpeg
Views: 957
Size:  69.9 KB

I've always planned to incorporate the undead vulture from the Tomb Guard standard into the piece so I set about painting it up. Although the painting went well something felt wrong. However I ignored my doubts and pushed on.

Name:  vulture1_zps970be078.jpeg
Views: 958
Size:  80.7 KBName:  vulture2_zpsb761d242.jpeg
Views: 954
Size:  86.6 KB

Another new element for the base has come about as a result of some feedback I've received. The initial idea was that the papyrus scroll was quite literally bleeding but it's very difficult to convey the supernatural origin of the blood in a static mini! Sure enough the first piece of feedback I had on the bleeding scroll questioned exactly that. On the whole I have to agree but rather than removing the blood as sugested I've decided to provide a source for it within the diorama. The first idea I had was simple and unobtrusive showing a source for the blood with no more than a single drip. Then I had another idea and pursued it with enthusiasm. The result of this burst of 'inspiration' can be seen glistening in the picture below.

Name:  heart_zps3986da84.jpeg
Views: 957
Size:  79.4 KB

Surfice it to say that sanity (and good taste) eventually prevailed and I will not be using this particular element but have instead returned to my rather more elegant first idea. Neither will I be using the vulture as once in position it just didn't work as a part of the whole. These two element were simply wrong for the piece feeling both visually and tonally crude and although this means all of Sunday's painting efforts were largely wasted I can't help but feel I've dodged a bullet. That's no mean feat considering that I was the one shooting the metaphorical gun!

Superb, can't wait to see it in its entirety.

I would not say the time was wasted...just utilized to hone the creative juices

I'm with Krule. Also, those two pieces can fit in another mini in the future.

Thanks for sharing this, it helps to see the thoughts and trials on how things come together.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Lovely (and then it said message to short) now it should be long enough again. Still a lovely figure
    Last edited by Kretcher; 10-27-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Fantastic er voting link?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Hi Sproket, that is one beautiful bit of work, and I must thank you for the inspiration it has given me, and I'm sure many others.
    I know you've helped so many of us painting porpers already, however can you give some details on what mats you used on that great base.

Blog Entries

A great piece of work, loved watching this come about!! DOne and voted!!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Gorgeous...
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Extraordinary. Very Insipirng, Love your style. Again, great work.

Quote Originally Posted by krom1415 View Post
    Hi Sproket, that is one beautiful bit of work, and I must thank you for the inspiration it has given me, and I'm sure many others.
    I know you've helped so many of us painting porpers already, however can you give some details on what mats you used on that great base.
    The base was really enjoyable to make and it came out of an idea that sparked off the whole project. I started off with a 50mm resin cube. I used a dremell to carve a rough slope into it. This step is very messy and quite smelly – best done outdoors.

Onto this I glued a chunk of wood that I picked up walking home from work one night. It’s one of those lucky one in a million finds, I just looked down and there it was. I trimmed the wood to fit the base and glued it into place with epoxy glue. I then roughly filed in any gaps with greenstuff to make a better transition between the plinth and the wood.

Next I textured the ground surface with garden soil and super glue. Again this is best done out doors as the superglue/soil mix can give off fumes. I learnt this technique from Massive Voodo who have a tut here: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/...ith-earth.html

It’s at this stage that I also fixed the mummies in place.

Once I was happy with the soil I added a few areas of stones/rubble by gluing on some ground cork with PVA glue. I positioned each piece of cork individually by pushing it into place with a damp paintbrush

Name:  Mummy base4.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  403.4 KB

The base was then painted. I used GW foundation paints and washes for the most part. The basecoat was extensively (but carefully) dry brushed to bring out the textures. I then used a lot of washes to shade it.

Name:  Tomb King Base3.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  321.3 KB

The next stage was to make the cobwebs. I wanted them to look heavy so I used cotton wool. I took a cotton bud and un-picked it so that I could use the individual cotton fibres. The cobwebs are built up a few strands at a time and this needs to be done very carefully and cautiously to avoid creating heavy clumps. I’d advise doing a bit letting it dry and then repeating the process until you are happy with the result. They are glued with PVA and both this and the cotton fibres are applied with a fine paintbrush. The PVA glue I prefer is Evo-Stik weather proof Wood Adhesive for exterior use. You can dilute it with water, Its strong and dries to a matt finish.

Name:  TombKingBase5.jpeg
Views: 749
Size:  232.6 KB

To add a bit more interest and realism I used weathering pigments applied as a wash diluted with water. This helped to give a dry & dusty look to the ground and added some really nice earthy tones. Once the pigments were dry I fixed them with dullcote.

The tree is a piece of root I picked up while on holiday in Cryprus. The grass clumps are glued into place with PVA . The longer grass is made from an old decorators paintbrush. For the last touches I added a few more pieces of cork, a little light dry brushing and some more washes with the pigments to tie it all together.

Name:  Finished Tomb King4.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  545.0 KB

Voted!! Thanks for share it with us

With the Tomb King finished I've returned to my Dark Eldar diorama. I spent the weekend painting the inside of the wings on my Scourge/witch conversion. It's been a year since I painted the wings on the first Scourge so I've turned to my own Tutorial to make sure I follow the same technique. I've found that I need to take my time over these, painting a little and then setting the mini aside for a while before continuing. This helps me to take a fresh look at the paint job after each pause and asses the next step. There is a little bit of neatening & refining to do but they are nearly there and then I can paint the outside and the tattoos.

Name:  Scrouge-witch-10a.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  514.5 KBName:  Scrouge-witch-10b.jpeg
Views: 668
Size:  523.4 KBName:  Scrouge-witch-10c.jpeg
Views: 679
Size:  507.3 KB

If I keep up this heady pace I'll be in danger of finishing three whole minis in the space of a year!

I am blown away! The standards I see here just keep getting better. Your basing is fantastic and your painting is just as good. The wings on that scourge(?) are awesome! I'll be following your blog from now on for sure. Inspirational for a noob like me :P

Blast it sir, your a good painter.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg