Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama - Page 20
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama

original bg for me. BTW great work on the latest Dark Eldar~
    My Rank -

Amazing work - been a little while since I viewed this thread. The bleeding heart a few pages back is superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Consider yourself quoted!

Here we go again - time to start a new mini!
    I want this third Scourge to match the first one I painted, but not to be identical so a little conversion is called for. I'm using the head option with the ponytail again. I really prefer it's sleeker look to the punk feathers on the majority of Scourge heads but I've swapped the ponytail with one from the wych box.

I also wanted to change the way the Scourge is holding her spear. As the Scourge minis only have one option in the box I've done some chop and swap with a Hellion to get a two handed grip on the spear. This has also enabled me to create something of a mirroring of the Scourge's positions. This will come into play on the diorama as the two of them will be roughly on either side of the 'Scourge Witch' and I think this will help to create an interesting symmetry.

The wings haven't been fixed on properly yet. It will be a lot easier to paint them separately and then glue them in place.

Name:  3rdscourge1.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  476.7 KBName:  3rdscourge1c.jpeg
Views: 1206
Size:  518.7 KBName:  3rdscourge1a.jpeg
Views: 1202
Size:  454.0 KBName:  3rdscourge1b.jpeg
Views: 1205
Size:  441.6 KBName:  3rdscourge1d.jpeg
Views: 1200
Size:  440.8 KB

This project (and all the intermediate projects in between) is truly amazing. Awesome painting and modelling and helpful tips at every page.

Black backgrounds can be perfect to bring out OSL and lighting effects, and obviously frame the mini very strongly, but it seems you're getting better results on these particular minis with brighter, more natural backgrounds.

This log is a pool of inspiration. I've paged through it, but will take better time later to really learn from it. Thanks!
    Latest endeavour: OSL Wyrd Pere Ravage

Practicing human skin and faces - Summer - Almira
    Space Hulk OSL Diorama
    OSL AoW Orc Shaman

love the conversion, can't wait to see it painted. just a quick quiestion on the pie clown from ages ago, how did you do the posters?
    i'm very curious, because i want to paint a back alley scene like that.

Blog Entries

This is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by meaty_nosebleeds View Post
    love the conversion, can't wait to see it painted. just a quick quiestion on the pie clown from ages ago, how did you do the posters?
    i'm very curious, because i want to paint a back alley scene like that.
    The posters are real circus posters downloaded from the net. Much reduced and converted to greyscale in photoshop. I printed them off gave them a good soak in water (it makes the paper softer and also helps it to absorb the washes) before sticking them onto the wall with dilute PVA. They are then tinted and shaded up with the same washes I used on the clown. The washes really make a diference and tie them into the whole piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    The posters are real circus posters downloaded from the net. Much reduced and converted to greyscale in photoshop. I printed them off gave them a good soak in water (it makes the paper softer and also helps it to absorb the washes) before sticking them onto the wall with dilute PVA. They are then tinted and shaded up with the same washes I used on the clown. The washes really make a diference and tie them into the whole piece.
    thanks for that man, it is really helpful. i was going to try and sculpt and freehand mine, but your way sounds a whole lot easier. i'll definately give it a go

Now I've a better idea of how the Scourge minis look in situ I've decided that the base for my Dark Eldar diorama needs to be a little more dramatic! This applies in particular to how the overall piece sits on it's plinth. It's not that there was anything particularly wrong with it, it was just a bit boring. Time to reach for the superglue, cork and earth!

Name:  base3-1.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  803.7 KBName:  base4-1.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  836.1 KB

The process has developed in a very organic way with both the paint scheme and the base undergoing continual adjustment. The picture below shows the state of the base at the time of posting.

Name:  base1.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  594.4 KB

The uber awesomeness continues ^^

Superb basing yet again, do you polish the plastic prior to priming?

The base is looking very good, and I like the angled earth. One thing that seems out of place is the big spikey chaos-looking wheelmebob. It just seems a bit too brutal to say "dark eldar". I appreciate DE are pretty horrible people, but it's a refined horribleness. The wheel thing is just a bit too "Chaos" to my mind.

*edit* it might be a curves thing. The eldar spikey bits are all curved. The wheel spikes are very straight and no-nonsense.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

As usual knockout painting sir. You put the lighting and edge highlights just in the right, love it.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I hate to say it, but I'm with me_in_japan on this one. I think that the outer spikes would look better if they mirrored the curved spikes on the rest of the monolith. Of course, the paint job will not doubt blow me away and prove me wrong! Keep up the good work. It's good to know that there is at least one other person out there who takes as long on these things as me!

Very cool. I like what you're doing with the base. As cool as the chaos wheel is (where'd that come from btw? Looks like part of a kit but I don't recognize it), I agree with the others. The style of the spikes should match the rest of the base... right now it just looks out of place. I'm not sure they need to be curved, but they should have those cut outs like the other dark eldar blades.

By the way, having followed this thread for a while I finally broke down and bought some scourges. Seeing what you've done has been very inspiring. GW should give you a commission on the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by krom1415 View Post
    Superb basing yet again, do you polish the plastic prior to priming?
    I usually wet sand the surface with a really fine grade of emery paper. I find wet sanding gives the smoothest result with plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    As cool as the chaos wheel is (where'd that come from btw? Looks like part of a kit but I don't recognize it.
    The wheel comes off the new Chaos Warshrine.

With regards to all the comments on the suitability of the straight chaos spikes as opposed to curved Dark Eldar blades - they've given me something to think about. On the whole I'm not too bothered by the straight spikes as I think once painted they will feel more a part of the whole thing. However I do agree that the wheel would look better of it had more of a Dark Eldar look to it than it currently has.

I think the solution is to find Dark Eldar elements that match the wheel's existing look and character. As opposed to adding curved blades and trying to force the wheel to look more Dark Eldarish.

What follows are photoshop lashups but they show very roughly what the solution could be. I think the elements off the Talos manage to match the look and feel of the wheel but also bring more of a Dark Eldar vibe to it.

Name:  wheel 1.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  356.8 KBName:  wheel 2.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  306.7 KB
    Last edited by Sproket; 12-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.

The DE bits definitely help, but it still feels a bit too chaosy, in my opinion. Still, I learned something new today: the curvature of a set of Talos back spines exactly matches that of the chaos war shrine icon. Whoda thunk?

Meh, don't mind me - I'm just nitpicking and applying my own aesthetic principles. When all is said and done, it's your piece, and it's a truly beautiful piece of work. When it's done, please enter it into a GD. If it doesn't win I will eat my shoes. It's that good

*edit* sorry - one last comment. The chaos icon is quite large and solid looking. This contrasts with the generally vertical forms of the rest of the scene. The vertical structures convey a sense of height and grace, which is desirable for a scene depicting scourges. The icon is a bit top-heavy looking. It's almost...too busy for the scene?

Ok, I'm done. I'll shut up now. *kowtows and backs away. Kowtows some more. Backs out of the room, kowtowing*
    Last edited by me_in_japan; 12-12-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

I agree with me_in_japan (though it feels strange that I dare to criticise a master who makes my humble effords seem like the works of a 3-year old ;-))
    The whole ring is too cluttered and will probably distract from the scourges, even when blended in more though painting. The addition of the Talos bits has imho only made things worse. As a piece of scenery it would be totally kick ass, as a base to set of the winged ones.. not so much.
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

I'm agreeing that the ring doesn't "fit" into the general aesthetic of the rest.
    Everything else looks geat

Damn Fat fingers and touchpad with PMS!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 12-14-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Bloody touchpad's thrown a wobbly, can't see what I've typed.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

The ring could work compositionally though if you'd put a scourge right in front of it, co-centric circles and detail do attract attention, which can then be used to your benefit.

But yeah, I agree with the general consensus here, a bit more simplicity in design can contribute to general clarity and possibly aesthetic quality of the piece wherein the focus lies on the beautifully painted scourges.
    I personally think removing the 'grouped' spike sections would improve it greatly (the ones with all the obscure doodads).
    I wonder though...are those microphones on the ring?

Idea, if you're really daring. You could even go a little further and turn it into an assymetrical 'C' shape, with the opening at the top. It would require some redesigning and reshaping of course...but it would open up the shape a little more, lighten it and make it slightly more vertical.