Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama - Page 23
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama

I agree with Skel you have amaazing endurance and skills.

/Kretcher

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    ditto. they look fabulous to say the least. must say I admire your endurance Sproket. I tend to start complain a lot after just 2-3 months painting the same thing...
    I've always been a slow painter so I've learn't to be patient and settle in for a long haul but this one has tested my endurance to the limit! I've just checked and I've been working on this project since July 2011. I really want to see an end to it!

Having said that I've managed to have some quality painting time over Easter and as a result it really feels like I've made some progress on my Scourge mini.

The back pack, utility belt and one of the arms are now all but complete and with so much of the base colour covered up the mini looks a lot closer to being finished. I't been the usual mix of easy and hard with the belt being a joy to paint and the arm a total pain! I'll be very glad when I've painted the last bit of dark brown on the remaining arm as the colour has been a pig to get right.

A major improvement to the ease of the task came with the delivery of some new paint brushes. I'm still sold on sable but they don't seem to last me any longer than my old brushes. This may say more about me than it does about the brushes though! This time around I've gone for a slightly larger brush size using a 1 instead of my usual 0. I've been able to do this because the sable brushes hold such a good point and a larger brush brings the benefit of having a larger reservoir of paint behind the tip. I found that a 0 sable had an incredible fine tip for precise work but really held very little paint.

Name:  3rd Scourge5.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  229.4 KBName:  3rd Scourge1.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  233.5 KBName:  3rd Scourge2.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  230.6 KBName:  3rd Scourge3.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  233.0 KBName:  3rd Scourge4.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  237.0 KBName:  3rd Scourge6.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  238.7 KB

I've been following this project for a while now, and even though progress may be slow (in square inches of paint) I'm always blown away be the effort you're putting into the details and the intricacies in the blending and color/contrast building.
    Each of the minis is an amazing piece in and of itself and the whole diorama is going to hit out of the ballpark what almost anyone considers a great project once it's finished.
    I don't have a specific view on the composition of the base, but just considering the time and thought that has gone into deciding with or against the big ring, how high it should be and how it will be balanced with the minis attached I can say I'm very confident it will be exactly as good as it can be in the end.
    Thanks for letting us follow this amazing project and giving us something to aspire to!
    Latest endeavour: OSL Wyrd Pere Ravage

Practicing human skin and faces - Summer - Almira
    Space Hulk OSL Diorama
    OSL AoW Orc Shaman

Looking great, as always. Yeah, it can be slow going but it's been a blast to see the progress step by step along the way. Will this be the last mini in the diorama or are you going to add more scourge? Also, out of curiosity, are you sticking with the webbed wings for this one or are you going to use one of the feathered ones? I'm guessing you'll stick with the webbed wings so it will match the other two... but part of me is really intrigued to see what you'd do with those feathers. (Ah, looking at your earlier posts I see you had picked out more webbed ones. That makes the most sense).

On a side note, following this thread inspired me to buy a box of scourge minis a few months back. I look at a lot of the GW models and think eh, they're just okay. Then I see what can be done with them and realize with the right paint job they're actually awesome looking figures! I started painting one on Sunday. It won't be anywhere near as beautiful as yours, but for my first real attempt at NMM I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. Thanks for the inspiration! I don't think I would have ever tried one if it hadn't been for this thread.
    Last edited by Bailey03; 04-10-2013 at 12:18 PM.

I travelled up to London last Saturday for Salute and entered my first painting comp in 23 years!
    I came first in the Miscellaneous category with my Dr Who Diorama and first in the Fantasy Single Figure category with my Tomb King. The Tomb King was also awarded second best in the show!

In an effort to get my Dark Eldar Hellion ready for I went into a frenzy of last minute preparations. After several very late nights common sense prevailed and I abandoned the attempt. I was running a serious risk of ruining a good mini.
    Having come back to the project in a calmer frame of mind I can see that not all of my efforts were a waste. I’d made a scenic base and although what I came up with was wrong for the Hellion I think it shows a lot of potential.
    Like the base for my Tomb King this one is made from a half rotten piece of wood picked up on the roadside. The addition of soil, superglue, cork and a suitable paint job has helped turn my bit of wood into a rocky outcrop.

Name:  new base1.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  372.4 KBName:  new base2.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  365.4 KBName:  new base3.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  399.6 KBName:  new base4.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  372.2 KB

I’ve a few early thought on what will work with this base but need to give the project some proper consideration. I’ve gone and put the cart before the horse with this one but I think this base has the potential to be the beginning of something good.

Just stumbled over your thread: Great work - from the early 90's up to now
    Those Scourges look very very good, nice blending and smooth transitions, well done.
    That base isn't bad, neither, like it. For my taste perhaps just a bit too much bright orange. Perhaps I'd blend some small highlighted areas with well thinned light yellowish-orange (I suppose it is ment to be some lava/magma flow?); or give the rock a darker wash...?

Not to forget: Congratulations on your awards

Well done for those results! A rather successful, and well deserved, return to the comp scene.
    Base looks cool. Really like how you bring so much warmth into your work

Yep, that's a nice base. It's going to need some kind of leaping/ landing mini. Perhaps one standing on one foot at the very peak of the rock. I bet Bushido or Anima Tactics would have something perfect for it
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Your bases are beautiful. I think it's time for an article!

Your models looked even better in person just wish I could have spent the entire day starring at them, wasn't going to happen unfortunatly, congratulations on the wins
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

It's a really nice base! Sometimes being pressed forward helps to get the best out of oneself! Now, you just have to figure out which mini to add to it!

Damn, looks like the painting robot from the future is back!
    Next salute I will bring a bottle of liquid nitrogen to freeze him
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Your bases are beautiful. I think it's time for an article!
    This right here.
    Check out my blog at http://savantcreations.net

Lovely base and I definitely agree with the mighty chad you need to do an article for your adoring public. Er quick like they get vicious if they don't get what they want
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Congrats on the awards at Salute. Hopefully this is just the first of many competitions.

The base looks very nice. I'll be curious to see what you decide to do with it.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Lovely base and I definitely agree with the mighty chad you need to do an article for your adoring public. Er quick like they get vicious if they don't get what they want
    You have no idea.

Congrats for salute, if i realised who you were on the day, I would have said 'hi'
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Congrats for the Salute awards! Hope that brings you to more and better painting ( if that's even possible ) to our delight

Grats sprocket. Great lookin base, sure it'll go to a good home!
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Looks like I'd better got onto it then! Luckily I'm walking home tonight & it's not raining so I shall see if there are any interesting bits of wood lying around that I can use in an article.
    In the meantime ... I'm cracking on with my latest Scourge mini but I decided to start the prep on Chee-Chee from Infamy Miniatures at the same time.

Name:  CeeChee1b.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  282.1 KBName:  CeeChee1a.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  294.5 KB

I'm really looking forward to painting this mini as I've fancied having a go at something with a steam punk feel for quite a while. I like how this mini challenges my usual inclination to go light & bright as I'm getting a dark & grungy vibe with this one.