Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama - Page 21
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama

All looking nice. I think the chaos circle could look great if the middle spikes were removed entirely and you turned it into a portal through which the DE are emerging. Eldar use portals all the time, they are linked to slanesh so it all ties in having a little chaos influence in there.
    " This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

Eldar are linked to Slaanesh, but only inasmuch as they universally hate and fear him/her. Even dark eldar won't touch Slaanesh with a barge pole. It's Slaanesh who is sucking the souls out of all the dark eldar, and thus the reason they go around torturing folks do much. Any kind of worship or even respect would be rather unfluffy, although its entirely up to sprocket whether he wants this piece to be fluffy or not.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Long time no post - time to catch up!

The chaos wheel/shrine thingy is out of the picture. I really don't know what I was thinking as it's just too fussy and (most importantly) fought with the minis for attention. So thanks for all the good advice on that account. I finished painting the base just before Christmas so that is now ready and waiting for the minis and a layer of ice & snow effects.

Name:  base paint1.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  464.3 KBName:  base paint2.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  415.6 KBName:  base paint3.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  416.9 KB

Following a Christmas painting break I started painting the third Scourge mini. Progress has been really slow as I've struggled every step of the way with this one! I'ts been a long time since I last hit such a rough patch and I think my mojo must still be off on holiday. I came very close to giving up on it and on a few occasions I had to down tools and put the mini aside or risk doing some serious damage. I've finally got the mini's head to a stage where I'm not ashamed to show it and I can move on and paint other parts of the mini. I might re-vist the head later but I'll wait until I can be more objective about it.

Name:  Scourge Head3.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  131.0 KBName:  Scourge Head4.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  87.6 KBName:  Scourge Head2.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  95.8 KB

Nice to se some progress. Head looks fine to me but then again i'd be happy with half the ability you have :P Eager to see how you approach the snow and ice for the base. Will you use the bi-carb method for the snow? I'm just wondering if it may look a bit heavy if that makes sense.

Awesome looking hat, keep up the good work !

Newbie, please be gentle DistortedMe's Avatar

awesome! love the different hue's on the helmet! Keep it going!

Thanks for the comments Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by secretpaintgeek View Post
    Nice to se some progress. Head looks fine to me but then again i'd be happy with half the ability you have :P Eager to see how you approach the snow and ice for the base. Will you use the bi-carb method for the snow? I'm just wondering if it may look a bit heavy if that makes sense.
    I made some tests with snow effects some time ago and based on those I'll be using a mix of materials. There will be some bi-carb (for frost) but I'll mostly be using crushed glass (to be handled with great care!) and water effects. I'm going for more of a bleak, cold, wet & icy feel rather than a snowy winter wonderland look. The snow & ice will be very patchy.

Here are a couple of links to the pages on my blog that deal with my ice & snow experiments.

http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co...your-snow.html

http://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co...g-icicles.html
    Last edited by Sproket; 01-28-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post

I made some tests with snow effects some time ago and based on those I'll be using a mix of materials. There will be some bi-carb (for frost) but I'll mostly be using crushed glass (to be handled with great care!) and water effects. I'm going for more of a bleak, cold, wet & icy feel rather than a snowy winter wonderland look. The snow & ice will be very patchy.

Here are a couple of links to the pages on my blog that deal with my ice & snow experiments.

Great examples, I have also tried some diffrent solution, since I have a small child (5 years) running around in my hobby room. I have opted for snow effect that you can buy. I use diffrent glues and varnishes to get diffrent effects. Might also be something for people to try out. No fancy home page for that stuff thou

Otherwise the crushed glass is really looking like wet snow can do. This is due to that wet snow is a bit transparant and therfore the galss helps out with that effect.

/Kretcher

This is the first project where I've attempted to paint more than one of the same type of mini and a nasty case of Scourge fatigue set it but at the moment I'm over it & happily painting away. I've made a start painting the Scourge's legs and although it's going slowly (nothing new there!) I'm pleased with what I've done so far.

Name:  3rdscourge4a.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  328.2 KBName:  3rdscourge4b.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  324.0 KBName:  3rdscourge4c.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  365.9 KB

Something that did cause a little trouble were the new(ish) Citadel washes. The old ones dried with a matt finish but, on this mini at least, the new washes were drying with a very nasty patchy sheen and I had to go over them with a few layers of the old washes to get a flat finish. This was a disappointing result from a product that I'd previously been very happy with!

I've had the same trouble but with the old ones?
    Baal red always leaves a shine, right pain.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Could a layer of testors dull coat sort it ?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post

Nice! Will have to keep a eye on your blog too from now on!
    I had the same prob with the new washes. Shame as I really liked the old ones and I was half way through a tank when i ran out of old and had to swith to new. Lost my temper in the end and abandoned the mini for now

Quote Originally Posted by secretpaintgeek View Post
    Shame as I really liked the old ones and I was half way through a tank when i ran out of old and had to swith to new. Lost my temper in the end and abandoned the mini for now
    That's a bit extreme reaction, you can add a little drop of matt medium vallejo or other to correct it easily...

Sproket, your dark eldar diorama is looking so good, cannot wait to see it finished.... Good luck!
    Last edited by boubi; 02-05-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by boubi View Post
    That's a bit extreme reaction, you can add a little drop of matt medium vallejo or other to correct it easily...

Sproket, your dark eldar diorama is looking so good, cannot wait to see it finished.... Good luck!
    Hardly extreme, At least by my standards. So many little projects going it dont take much for me to move onto something else :P

It's (sort of) reassuring to hear that others have had some issues with the washes. I'm sure that dull coat would fix the problem and once all is done I'll probably be using it to even out the finish anyway.

My main irritation is that the shiny finish makes it much harder to see if I'm getting a smooth transition with the colour. I wonder if part of the solution is dilution. When I've used the washes before I've diluted them right down and built up lots of thin layers. I was working with less dilution when I got the shiny finish so maybe that is the answer. There's only one way to find out!

I found adding a touch (I mean a really small amount) of lamina medium to my washes really helped take the shine off. It does make them flow a bit differently though but might be worth a try.

Hey Sproket. Dillution seems to be the thing for me with washes. Less dillution = shinier imo.

Cheers
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Look what Ive found, whos a famous Sproket!!

Name:  40k.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  1.48 MB
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

That tank thingie is really CUTE. Reminds me of some childrens program. Nice to see the talked about golden deamon win.

That takes me back...way back!

Cute .... Cute! Actually you do have a point.

In some ways I miss ye olden days. These days there can be such an obsession with realism that it's easy to lose sight of the fantastical nature of our subject matter. I love the developments in realism and techniqe that have come into the hobby and wouldn't want to go back but it can all get a bit literal minded sometimes. I've always had a soft spot for a bit of whimsey.

As I've come over all nostalgic (and I've nothing new to show for myself at the moment) I'm going to get all retro and post a few oldies from the early 90s.
    Attached Images Attached Images