Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama - Page 10
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Sproket's Dark Eldar diorama

Nice base indeed!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

I've painted up the spear shaft on my Scourge conversion so that just leave the wings to do.

Name:  scourgedio-3.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  321.6 KB

I thought it was high time I did a test fitting for the diorama with the two scourges I've (almost) painted. It's better to sort out any issues now rather than at the end when I've committed to the details. It was a bit of a fiddle and I had to drill quite a few holes to get the positioning right but I like how things are shaping up. The pictures aren't the greatest (bad light!) but they give an idea of how the diorama is looking.

Name:  scourgedio-1.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  299.1 KBName:  scourgedio-2.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  429.3 KB

This just brings it home to me how far I have to go with this project before it's finished. Once all the minis are painted and mounted on the monoliths I'll have to finish off the scenic detailing and add the snow & icicles.

great stuff the painting is just off the scale the chap who commissioned the big swooping hawk should commission you to paint it really epic.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Fantastic work Sproket.... Amazing work in all!!!!

tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    great stuff the painting is just off the scale the chap who commissioned the big swooping hawk should commission you to paint it really epic.
    Seconded, as that is just jaw-droppingly awesome!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Top titties! Breathtaking work

Kris

Super human work as usual sir.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I have to say I've seen better Sproket. I think I saw a spot somewhere that wasn't very good...might just be a smudge on my screen though!

I LOVE this diorama and of course was joking. I've followed this on your blog for ages, its a real labour of love and looks amazing. Well done!

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

You suck, why do you have to make me feel so inadequate. I think I have the painter's equivalent of penis envy

Oh boy....... * jaw drops* I can't add anything of worth besides what was said so I'll just pick up my jaw... and leave...

Blog Entries

Sproket, this is utterly amazing, its a candy for the eyes that even Willy Wonka himself could not make!! Great stuff mate. It will be getting a much deserved 10 from me.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

This was a ten back even before there were any minis on it. Now? The dial just doesn't go up high enough as for when it's finished? Yeesh - the mind boggles...
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

If we come up with a clever plot kidnap him, and find a way to extract his genius mojo and turn it into an elixir... we'd be rich, and all genius painters.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

More Tomb Kings!
    I’m trying out something slightly new (for me) with my colour palette. I’m using an ivory tone (Vallejo Ivory) rather than white for my highlighting. This should give an overall warmth to the highlights and help to tie together the colour scheme. The shadows will all have a little deep blue (Vallejo Dark Sea Blue) mixed into them as a part of the same approach. The Dark Sea Blue is a really intense colour and I think it will be very interesting to work with it.
    Once I finished painting the mummies I turned to the ground, pigments in hand. I've used a mix of MIG Pigments (Gulf War Sand and Dark Mud) mixed with water and applied as a wash. As it dried I added more pigment here and there to build up the intensity. I love how the pigments dry out to a dusty matt finish - very appropriate for a desert setting.

Name:  TombKingBase5.jpeg
Views: 1074
Size:  232.6 KB

Next up were the 'cobwebs' and doing this felt like I was taking a great big fiddly risk! I unpicked the cotton wool from a cotton bud and fixed it into place with PVA glue using a paint brush. The trick seems to be to use the very smallest amount of cotton and to build up the effect very gradually. The initial look is very white but this lessens as the PVA dries fairly clear. Once dry I added a little pigment and sand to dirty up the cobwebs a then layered on a few more strands of cotton wool. It took nerves of steel to use this effect as it felt like I was making a terrible mess at the time but I'm very pleased with the end result.

Name:  TombKingBase6.jpeg
Views: 1068
Size:  184.7 KB

The giant scarab beetles (from the GW Necrosphinx kit) were a lot of fun to paint! There are a few small touches left to do but it's nearly ready for the Tomb King himself who is going to have a bit of conversion work done to him.

top work sir. I think there would be more sand / dust over the skels but that would spoil the clean look of the painting so wise not to do. Just me but I dont like the scarab on top of the minis, it looks just placed on and not 'real'?
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

i love this! really like how you made the mummies look dull and part of the base and then had some points of interest, like the scarabs. are any of your projects for a competition anywhere?

Lovely work so far, really like the headpieces on the mummies.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Right you're just showing off now! lol great paint remember tho when your at the top the only way is down
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by Elric2k View Post
    You suck, why do you have to make me feel so inadequate. I think I have the painter's equivalent of penis envy
    Seconded. This is just... amazing, breath-taking, jaw-dropping and.... and... I lack further words.

Though I agree with Cassar, you're jsut showing off now
    "Without music life would be a mistake. I could only believe in a god who knew how to dance."

Just need to get a hold of a decent camera and there will be a thread. Presumably.

isnt showing off the entire point of this hobby?