It Came From Outer Space and is Taking Over My Pond!!!!

Thread: It Came From Outer Space and is Taking Over My Pond!!!!

Default It Came From Outer Space and is Taking Over My Pond!!!!

ok its not really from outer space, its from the amazon and i have to grow it from seed that i start in the greenhouse back in march then i move it outside in June into a big pot. This is by far the largest i ever got this plant. Each of the big leaves are now over 6foot in diameter,(thats over 2meters for you metric folks). the one photo is a new leaf that will uncurl and grow to 4 foot in as little as 2 days. The underside of the leaves and along the stems are covered in long thin sharp thorns, think of the inside of an iron maiden. And the flower is Huge, makes the entire house smell like pineapple but it only lasts for 2 days the second day it turns dark pink. the name of the plant is Victoria x longwood hybrid. The leaves can support a persons weight but you have to put a board on the leaf so you can spread the weight out evenly and not rip the leaf.

nice pond too btw, what do you stock it with for the swimming variety of livestock???
    Coolmini.............Cos I'm akward.

Those are pretty cool. Do you stock the pond with fish at all?
    "A war without civility can lead only to massacres" Treize Khushrenada
    "The greater the sacrifice, the more glorious the triumph" Franklin D Roosevelt
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

Overzealous Volunteer for one too many companies...

http://regimentalcolors.blogspot.com/

Very nice....I think I see Koi in both pictures?

Pretty and HUGE POND!

Yup lots of koi in there. I gave 100 away two years ago kept 50 and now I have another couple hundred baby fish to pick through and give away.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Beautiful. Does it have a fragrance?
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

Awesome those big old leaves always remind me of the old Johnny Weismuller Tarzan films I watched when I was a kid hehe.

Wowza, those are impressive. Whoda thunk they'd grow this well that far north of their original habitat?

Quote Originally Posted by uglybug
    And the flower is Huge, makes the entire house smell like pineapple but it only lasts for 2 days the second day it turns dark pink.
    Have you tried bleach in the vase water? Supposed to be the thing that'll make flowers last longer.

Einion

Don't go to sleep - they will take over your body. :-)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Wow! That's amazing....

Love your pond, mine gets kinda crowded with more than three frogs in it
    Supervike: "There's no purpose to this, besides something to do..."

That is really cool.

I'm assuming it gets freezing cold in NJ, what happens to the pond then?