Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: bit of this and that

Nice very inspirational!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    jumping between projects right?
    what makes you think that?>.< i´m a bit jumpy tbh, cant stay with anything for more than a day:P

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    i really like the engine that keep it rotating, hi-tech seriously, cool idea.
    sometimes my brain just does things!:P i like to think it was rather cleaver!

thanks will=)

big things poppin.
    gonna name this "game graveyard", and add chess pieces.
    Name:  wh8028.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  210.4 KB
    Name:  wh8024.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  162.4 KB
    Name:  wh8023.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  147.8 KB
    Name:  wh8019.jpg
Size:  215.1 KB
    Name:  wh8022-1.jpg
Size:  155.7 KB

Default Eye tutorial

How about this, I am going to make a tutorial!

Had a few questions lately about how I make such pretty eyes, so decided to try and put a tut together, might be fun.
    Do remember, my camera is crap, and also, I chose a horrible mini for this, as it is absolutely tiny!(around 18mm o.O)

Ihe pics shift colours throughout the tut, thats because the light in my room changed as the sun went down, aswell as a little bit of editing to make the process of painting the eyes as clear and real looking as possible, they are the focus of my intent, not the mini=)

So, let´s start then!

Things you need to know, paints you will need:
    Think of contrasts, use the colour wheel, since i painted my farie with a purple tint, i did her eyes yellowish, to make them super pop! A reddish dwarf or tanned girl whould have green eyes, a asian character or redhead could do well with a blue or turqiose eyes. Complementary colours are the word!

It´s really important to paint the skin ahead, both to make sure that you know what colours to use, and to get a feel for how you want the eyes to look.

For the basic eye i use:
    Chaos black, red gore, khemri brown, bleached bone, skull white and ardcoat.
    For these yellow eyes you will also need:
    Snakebite leather, sunburst yellow.

Before the first step i prepared by painting the face and skin, not gonna do a tut on that unless anyone asks

1. Paint the eye black, cleaning this up is rather easy, but avoiding it is great anyone agree that she looks a bit like amy winehouse here?
    Name:  wh9004edited-1.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  44.0 KB

2. Fill allmost the entire black area with red gore. all eyes have a slight tint of red, veins and such. We want to stay away from too much black outlining, since that will make the eyes look black, like they´re a hole rather than a part of the face. i made her look like she´s crying blood here, but easy mistakes like these can be fixed without problems.
    Name:  wh9009edited-1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  61.2 KB

3. Here starts the tricky. we want to get khemri brown in there, but leave some dark and red outlining. this part will start to make the eye look loads bigger.
    Name:  wh9011edited-1.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  41.7 KB

4-5. Highlight bleached bone and finally skull white. Usually by now I feel like leaving the eye like this, getting anxious about painting the iris:P
    Name:  wh9015edited-1.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  46.2 KB

6. This is possibly the most important and hardest point of all. we need to outline the iris. however, i have a very nice trick to get this easier, A LOT easier.
    I grab a size 0-1 brush with a good quality, prefereably one straight out of the box with a nice point. i then heavily thin out chaos black, around 1 parts paint, 4 parts water. i then put a smal drop where i want the outlines for the iris, and let try for 5-10 sec. then i quickly soak all the paint out, so that only the edges are left. i try to remove as much of the paint as possible, so that it is near white in the centre. Hopefully you will understand this technique from result in the pic. This is nearly failproof and gives a super smooth transition inside the eye.
    Name:  wh9019edited.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  45.8 KB

7. This is where i usually grab my nerdglasses (the droidlike magnifying headset with a lamp), try it, and then throw it away in anger. Next step is all about creating a spotlight in the eye, a tiny dot of white in that perfect place.
    Name:  wh9024edited.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  60.1 KB

8. Finally we get to add some colour. I simply wash the iris with a very thinned dark yellow(snakebite leather), so that the spot and the transitions show through. After this i put some spots of pure sunburst yellow on strategically chosen places in the iris, try to create a pattern.
    Name:  wh9027edited.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  74.2 KB

9. I follow up the spots of sunburst with some spots of thinned skull white, these are tiny, and the headset comes out again.
    Name:  wh9030edited.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  67.1 KB

10. A pupil is created with thinned out chaos black, around 50/50 with water. this is more grey than black, and obviously is in the centre of the iris. i also put a spot of pure black in the pupil, towards the right edge.
    Name:  wh9034edited.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  94.0 KBName:  wh9035edited.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  49.1 KB

11. I now add the final spot of pure white, which crosses over the pupil slightly, this is a reflection of the light source.

You now have a finished eye! Let's hope it´s pretty An eye like this should take around an hour to paint, a pair of them should take around a week...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks!!! This tutorial is very helpful.

Cool Ischa! I really like this tut! I'm definitely going to try it on the next eyeballs I've got coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    Before the first step i prepared by painting the face and skin, not gonna do a tut on that unless anyone asks
    Waves hand! Me! Me! lol! Sorry hun but you did such a great job on the eyes....

Seriously I'm also interested in the skin because I really like the contrast you got with the highlights and shadow but they don't look overdone at all! How'd you do that? Mine always look manufactured until I glaze it down a little. Then it looks better but I've lost the pop and have fallen into mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    You now have a finished eye! Let's hope it´s pretty An eye like this should take around an hour to paint, a pair of them should take around a week...
    roflmao! Drives me insane - one eye is perfect...getting the other to match...yeah right. I usually end up adding the mini to the rest of the Marty Feldman collection.

Name:  feldman04-300x230.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  18.8 KB

great job on that mini ischa interesting way to paint eyes too. much stuff in pipeline now?

nah not really=) that mini was just for the tut, painted her hair blonde so now i hate her thanks for the feedback kath, really great=) could try to make a tut on skin, but then i´d have to reflect on how the hell i do it first:P

aaah angels! decided to turn to something suuuuuuper bright and jolly, and try to make a bit dark instead=) didnt work... really happy about the colours though!
    Name:  wh9011edited.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  110.9 KB
    Name:  wh9010edited-1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  134.9 KB
    Name:  wh9009edited.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  198.6 KB
    Name:  wh9013edited-1.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  73.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ischa; 07-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Those wings are really fantastic. Not sure it fits the model though, looks like it would more at home on eldar swooping hawks or as holosuits on harlequins.

THe main thruster nmm gold is good aswell, the pfist and chest not as great.

And still hate gold blood angels with a vengance.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

The wings are freakin' gorgeous! Especially with the NMM on the mini! I just love the look as a whole. But I do agree with Mar, not so sure they fit the subject.

Do you have photoshop, Ischa? Whatever editing program you use, try running the photos through a noise filter as a last editing step, right before you resize them, I think it will help as your photos appear grainy but I know its not the paint. You're transitions are too smooth to let the paint get that grainy.

Damn, dude, that's pretty...
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

ah yeah, your minis should be veeeery photo-friendly if you got your stuff together man! a bit rough at places but the backpack and angel wings looks very good.

thanks for the comments everyone=) glad you all liked the wings! my plan is to make this guy look more bronze than golden, with turquoise as weathering and a nice complement. the purple is to enhance the clean feel of the turquoise, which comes back in every piece of metal. the guy will be faced of with an opposite in a duel. this model will be a werewolf/vampire styled model using space wolf and dark eldar parts. my plan is to make a small scene where the werewolf brings snow and cold winds, which is death as a cold fear and a chill, while the angelic/vampiristic blood angel brings skulls and some truer sence of death, beautiful, but disloyal and chaotic.

will probably redo the nmm of the fist, not so sure about the chest...

here are some pics of the enemy conversion, and also of the general posing.
    Name:  wh9001.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  217.4 KB
    Name:  wh9004.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  207.9 KB
    Name:  wh9006.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  182.5 KB

COOOOL!!! I can't wait to see this one unfold! Get to it Ischa!! lol! More deep red tones might help you out one your bright and colorful angel.

But the eyes are cool too. After I finish this, I'm going to re-read your tut cause I'm working on some eyeballs that are a PITA! grrrr!

Hurry up and get painting! This is going to be something to see!

Yay! thanks for being excited kath i´m not gonna lie, so am i! this is a project i´ve been thinking about for ages really, just havnt felt that my skill/my bits were sufficient. the feral marine wont be darker, i´m afraid, but it wont be as jolly in the colours, promise it´ll look evil did some painting, and i rather like the way it´s turning out=) would love some more ideas of what to do with the base, or any other feedback!
    Name:  wh9005.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  225.1 KB
    Name:  wh9011.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  239.3 KB

ps. had to reposition the wings a bit, they look better like this, any opinons?

Sweet Ischa! Base is not a problem. Okay you've got a fire and ice theme going on. Get some cork (I'm stuck on this stuff - sorry - but I love it! lol!), realistic water and liquid pigments or clear inks. I'm thinking these guys touch the ground with a boot or a weapon, it cracks. In the cracks is the realistic water but has the flow of lava. Only one is blue and cold, the other red and hot. Don't make the cracks random - its another form of battle - all part of the chess game. They cross each other so there would be offense and defense. If one of the dudes doesn't pay attention to where he steps - check mate.

Are you good with math? I'm terrible but I'm thinkin a simple fractal might really be cool for the pattern but not sure.

Anyway, just what popped in my head because of the premise you've got going.

Cool minis you have there Ischa!! I'm on Kath: opposite colour schemes would make it more dramatic.

thanks guys, turns out i´m real slow at responding sadly kath, i´m no maths-guy=/ but i will go with the opposite colour schemes, one cold and blueish steel, and one warm gold/bronze.

thanks for the pic skels, that camera does what it´s supposed to