Steve Jobs passes away

Thread: Steve Jobs passes away

Default Steve Jobs passes away

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...006-1lag8.html

The world of technology is poorer for his passing, I'll admit, even though I'm not an Apple fan. Steve Jobs was a genius, albeit a real hard nose job.

Was about to start a thread on this as I'd just seen the headline on a news channel. RIP Mr. Jobs.

Hopefully Apple won't flounder without his leadership.

Einion

Blog Entries

The man was extremely accomplished. That he rescued a floundering company in the 90's was impressive, that he turned it into the world's largest (or 2nd largest depending on the day) publicly traded company is amazing. Whether you use any Apple products is beside the point, the guy truly had a knack for aesthetics and I think his style will have an impact on generations to come.

Reposting from what I wrote elsewhere:

To all of his friends, family and co-workers, please accept my condolences on the loss of a great man. He will be missed by so very many.

Steve Jobs will remain one of the most revered cultural icons of our time. His ambition -- the relentless pursuit of perfection in merging the aesthetic with the practical -- has left an indelible mark on us all. He helped put the stuff of science fiction into our living rooms, offices and classrooms. Even into our pockets. An entire generation of young people will grow up with learning tools that nobody could have imagined a few short years ago.

As someone who takes the time to appreciate the thought and care that goes into everyday objects, I would like to give one final "thank you" to the man who devoted so much of his life to Apple and its customers. He was the force behind some major technological and business revolutions, but he also took the time to talk to us little people and made sure we got a great experience whenever we purchased one of his products. Tim Cook and the others at Apple will have some big shoes to fill, but I'm confident that together they can keep up that great standard of customer service.

Every time we answer the phone, download a song or send an email, we'll be thinking of Steve and his immeasurable contributions.

God bless,
    -Dan
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long -- and you have burned so very, very brightly."

And a more personal note, copied from Lisen Stromberg (a neighbour of Steve and the family in Palo Alto):

While Newsweek and the Wall Street Journal and CNET continue to drone on about the impact of the Steve Jobs era, I won’t be pondering the MacBook Air I write on or the iPhone I talk on. I will think of the day I saw him at his son’s high school graduation. There Steve stood, tears streaming down his cheeks, his smile wide and proud, as his son received his diploma and walked on into his own bright future, leaving behind a good man and a good father who can be sure of the rightness of this, perhaps his most important legacy of all.

RIP Steve, you will surely be missed by all.
    Last edited by Jericho; 10-06-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my hobby blog, IMMATERIUM PRESS. Rumors, hobby articles, community building and tournament organization. Many thanks

We knew he was ill but didn't expect this so soon. RIP Steve.

Hard to believe the iPhone was only released in 2007. I think Steve's great legacy is moving technology away from an engineering focus (more features!) and proving that a good user experience always wins in the market. The iPod + iTunes with such ease of use crushed Creative's more capacious but arcane mp3 players and made micro-transactions of $1 per track a reality in the face of huge resistance from record labels. I suspect the iPhone (and Android) is eventually going to do in Nintendo and Sony's mobile models (hard to compete with $1 games when you have $40 titles - http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/08/01). I hope the team he's left is up to pushing the limits of ui, technology and business. He'll be missed.
    I like it firm and fruity!

that was very quick
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Blog Entries

Sad to see a great innovator pass away. Can't say I am fan of his products though due to their product upgrade strategies (no camera in ipad 1 - really!?!) and a few other issues that make me incredibly cynical (non removable batteries etc, non upgradable memory etc....). Still, this man would have pushed the industry greatly onwards and upwards with his competitors upping their game in parallel. I hope his team has similiarly great innovators on side to continue this trend and carry his work onwards and upwards.

On a sidenote, Chern - I disagree with phones ever being able to compete with sony psp line and nintendo in terms of games. The gaming experience on a phone has to be simple - no one sits on their phones for hours playing 3d shooters, if they want serious gaming they will be on their consoles. Phone gaming is casual 10 minutes to kill here and there and does not have the controls needed to offer a decent gaming experience anyway (that SOny experia phone with the pad excluded of course). I cant see this changing. The sony and nintendo machines are geared to matching a console experience for travel, holidays and casual home use etc. Although nintendo has dropped the ball on a couple of technical issues with the 3ds, these two companies will be focussed on matching the quality of the home consoles to keep the hardcore gamers happy when they travel. Phones will never be able to offer a decent gaming experience in comparison. There is a big difference in a $1 game and a $40 game, not that I ever pay full price anyway. I pay £9.99 for my games and only pick up an occassional full price big release, cheap gaming is perfectly possible on consoles/handhelds.

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

It feels like just yesterday that he left Apple. He will be missed. A great visionary and a major key to modern computing.

Ive used mac's for 19 years now in my job - it must be amazing to see so many people using a product you designed. Mr Jobs and his team changed the computer world if not the world itself. A great loss.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Chern - I disagree with phones ever being able to compete with sony psp line and nintendo in terms of games. The gaming experience on a phone has to be simple - no one sits on their phones for hours playing 3d shooters, if they want serious gaming they will be on their consoles. Phone gaming is casual 10 minutes to kill here and there and does not have the controls needed to offer a decent gaming experience anyway (that SOny experia phone with the pad excluded of course). I cant see this changing. The sony and nintendo machines are geared to matching a console experience for travel, holidays and casual home use etc. Although nintendo has dropped the ball on a couple of technical issues with the 3ds, these two companies will be focussed on matching the quality of the home consoles to keep the hardcore gamers happy when they travel. Phones will never be able to offer a decent gaming experience in comparison. There is a big difference in a $1 game and a $40 game, not that I ever pay full price anyway. I pay £9.99 for my games and only pick up an occassional full price big release, cheap gaming is perfectly possible on consoles/handhelds.
    never say never....

Technology and people have a way of getting things done, you could be gaming on your phone in 10 years wondering why you ever had an xbox before
    Last edited by LegionoftheCow; 10-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    There is a big difference in a $1 game and a $40 game
    This is the comic in the link. I think the Penny Arcade guys say it much more eloquently than I ever could.

Name:  i-GgW57X4-L.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  159.1 KB
    I like it firm and fruity!

You know, it just occurred to me... did Steve request "iDead" on his tombstone? Seems fitting somehow.

No offense intended, but it would have been something I'd have done.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus
    You know, it just occurred to me... did Steve request "iDead" on his tombstone? Seems fitting somehow.
    No, it has a pretty standard inscription... course it's on an iTombstone 1.0 so there'll be a better one along in six months with more features

Einion

Wonder if he'll pick the black one or white one? Decisions decisions!
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Blog Entries

Chern, I know you are a successful business man in the gaming arena and probably have a better grasp of the business side of things than myself - but I'll offer my perspective which is simply one from an end user, a hardcore gamer of some 28 years. I can count on one hand how many of these phone games I have personally enjoyed. they would be Angry Birds and cut the rope (interface exactly the same in style on both games), I think puzzle and word games can work extremely well if done right as well. Racing games suck, tilting the phone from side to side to see an unresponisive brick move with un-nerving inacurracy is hardly fun, any game with an onscreen d-pad and button controls immediately renders half of your screen real estate defunct and I don't see how not seeing what your doing is any kind of fun either!! I am also left unimpressed with the capacitive touch screens response time/accuracy for controlling the games. If phones wish to compete with the sony and nintendo they must incorporate physical, comparable quality, control methods. Sony have done this but no one else appears to be following suit. If they don't they wont ever improve the gaming experience they currently offer and I think I would put money on that statement being true.

So I'll stick to my guns and say any serious gamer will have a great deal more fun with a dedicated console, granted I feel the price of these games is extortionate and should not match their console counterparts pricing structure, but as I said they go down in price quick enough to offer good value if you dont mind waiting 6 months or so for the inevitable drops and deals. And regarding the first panel of the comic strip I do feel incredibly let down by Nintendo and the compensation of twenty free mostly rubbish old games is seriously lacking any kind of value. And the sight of their 2nd circle pad add on periphal is frankly an abomination and something that should have been included in the original 3DS design. So sure, they are certainly dropping the ball more than they can afford to, but the games are good so far. The REAL reason sales of 3DS are poor is because Nintendo have released far too many DS versions. Imagine if Nintendo had released a DS Lite and then left it. Their sales for the 3DS would have been through the roof. But they have oversold the DS with too many variations. Casual gamers wont upgrade and gamers who were lured by the DSi and DSi XL will have a bitter taste in their mouth and may look to Sony with their superior powered handheld.

The power of the phones is certainly going to be able to deliver lovely graphics and all the rest of it eventually, I have no doubt of that so I guess we will just have to wait 5 or so years and see who was right then one of us will be able to do a little "nahnah-nahnah!" told you so dance at the other lol!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

You really are missing the point. Mobile gaming, by its nature, ISN'T serious gaming. It's about quick session pick up and playability. I've owned PSPs and DSs and TBH they did nowt for me. They were too cumbersome to take everywhere (why own them if they're never in your pocket?!) and didn't replicate gaming on a 'proper' console that well anyway.

They will retain a small (and diminishing) market - currently less than 40 million units annually. Contrast to the 1.3 BILLION mobile handsets sold each year and it really doesn't matter what you think or would like - the mobile phone will largely kill mobile consoles and compact cameras in the coming years.
    Last edited by Spacemunkie; 10-07-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Apple Tech Support called and said that Steve Jobs can't be dead.

It's either a problem with the power supply or a third party peripheral!

sad news...
    it was always fun to see what Apple was going to get up to next...

as to the gaming debate, i have never been much of a gamer, either with minis or consoles...
    that said, i am really addicted to playing games on my ipad...
    the size of the screen is much better than the ipod touch, and some of the 99 cent games look incredible (while still being VERY portable)...
    right now i'm hooked on Dungeon Hunter II, Asphalt Adrenaline 6, Battleship, 9 Innings 2011, MX Mayhem, and Shadow Era...
    any of which i can be found playing for an hour in the morning, after my surf and before i start fixing boards...
    i don't have internet at the shop, so i love that i can just download something at home and enjoy it at the shop on a screen the size of the ipad...
    all of my games cost 99 cents, and i go through a $15 itunes card every 6 months or so...
    not a bad game budget!!!
    i also get to enjoy free ezines like Portal, The Ancible, Irregulars Mag, and a few others...

the ipad has definitely changed the way i look at portable computers, and the touch screen is fun to play with...
    it's like having a 40K dataslate come to life...
    i love watching people's reaction when i blow up pics by spreading my fingers, and then shrink 'em again with a squeeze...
    my ipad goes everywhere with me!!!
    my 17 inch Sony Vaio may be called a laptop, but it's more like a lap-breaker (heavy and hot!!!)...
    not fun to cart around...

anyway, that's my 2 cents...
    97 more and i can get a new game!!!

cheers
    jah
    Paint like you've got a pair!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemunkie View Post
    Apple Tech Support called and said that Steve Jobs can't be dead.

It's either a problem with the power supply or a third party peripheral!

Hopefully the don't insist stepping the customer through the troubleshooting process....