why! and 'really'!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why! and 'really'!

Default why! and 'really'!

nothing against 'ars terra' but a 7.4 for a mono job is excessive! what makes it a 7.4: is it the 30 plus coats or the detail or the understanding of Slaanesh, the attention to detail or the attention to blending paint!? c'mon i admire all guests on cool mini but please! (really no offence ars terra), its indicative of cool mini and seems (like uk exams) to get easier to get high scores.
    the 'tens' are definately worthy of the score (worship of talent) as are the nines. i'm not saying im amazing because im not but there are much more talented painters (ie: guy who painted a tzeentch mini in slaanesh garb - great job).

I have a few Slaanesh minis posted and are logging 6.2 - 6.4 but are way advanced of the aforementioned noise marine. i realise i will get a backwash of ill feeling for stating the obvious but nonetheless, look at the minis side by side and ask why!

(SUB COMMENT: i love painting and whilst i consider myself a 6-8. what i resent is a score that, pitched against a mini of the same ilk reflects poorly on a job that i take a great deal of time over. I love that 'ars terra' paints but should his job score a 7.4 whilst my marines are scoring 6.4?)

don't get me wroung, im not egotistical (on this site you cant be) but i believe in fair voting.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by singularity View Post
    i love painting
    Hold on to that thought and forget about the rest in your post! I could also point out the lack of links to actually compare the minis you talk about, but I'm not really interested and I doubt many are. Paint minis and enjoy your hobby! Fretting over scores only takes the fun out of it...
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

are we supposed to know what you are one about? how about posting a pic or a link?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Like the fellas say, no link = no idea.

Ditto, if you're doing this for the points or the rock and roll lifestyle I'm not sure you're focussing on the good/important part.
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

I'm neither doing this for points or kudos (nor under the influence!). I love this site and I adore the work on this site (and obviously all the work that goes into the art), not least all the painters who contribute but whilst viewing (in my area of interest), to come across a poor paint job (nice mini) scoring 7.4 (ars terra's noise marine - white helmet) when mine (check singularity - noise marine, slaanesh, penitent engine, obliterator) score less despite the superior work irks me.

(Sub text: I posted the mini pics a year ago, recieved great advice from better painters than I, stripped them and repainted. As a result of great advice have improved my technique but am not that good a photographer, hence the lack of reposts).

Please understand, its not a direct dig at ars terra but rather the fluctuation in the scoring system. I dont know about links etc and were it not glaringly obvious would not have even noticed but hence the header 'why and really'!
    Thanks, Nick

hi kalidane
    Thanks for replying. Sometimes this site is frustrating. Its not about the rock lifestyle! its enjoying the hobby which i do (most days). Im not prone to outbursts (and on this website it seems to be discouraged) but did feel the need to comment for no other reason as taking so much pride in not only my work but others also who post on here.

Whilst I have simmered down the question still stands and for good reason. I dont know what 'links' are but all you need to do is 'search' noise marine'.

Thanks, Nick

seriously, wtf? a link is the address to what you are looking at. and you can add images by copying the image address and adding it in between image tags: [img] [/img]

are those what you are referring to?

thanks and yes (although there are more)! please dont be so agressive (wtf). i'm doing nothing more than pointing out a flaw in cool mini that i'm sure many have noticed! as previously stated, im not an amazing painter (not like the guys who score nines/tens) and haven't posted my newest work (due to a combination of being a poor photographer and this same story a year ago) but surely, it must be said that ars terras noise marine is hugely overscored! It isn't a dig at ars terra, just an example (truly i dont give a .... anymore about how my work is percieved on here and nor does this scoring system dictate my life (wow, i haven't even logged on in 6 months) of the lack of balance in scoring.

I must come across as a grinch but that is far from the truth.
    Nick

again, thanks for replying 'freakinacage' and having checked out your work, which is stunning; i have to ask the question again, 'why and really' should aforesaid mini score a 7.4 when you're scoring 6/6.5 for your work which is far superior.
    I know it isn't just about the score but we all post on here to show our work/connect with our peers/be a community etc.

kalidane, surely u must be asking the same question as just checked your work and again superior to aforementioned mini. As for you ritual, wow, your work is stunning and a joy to see. i'm sure all of us wish we could paint as well.
    The issue isn't 'points', its comparison against other work, respect from peers and having your talent enjoyed by others (otherwise you wouldn't even post). sadly all of this is translated into points and as such, surely, points should reflect the work. In your case 'ritual', no issue as you have the points you should have.

ritual, u may not be interested but still replied. your painting is awsome. if you didn't give a .... you wouldn't post your work. we all care and take pride in our painting. even with lack of interest you still responded. its painters like you that i look up to yet on cool mini it seems inappropriate to dissent.

'why and really'
    Last edited by singularity; 10-07-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Meh, it's the way she goes. There's all sorts fo flaws in the system of scoring around here mostly 'cause it relies on people. I haven't checked out the mini's in question but one thought is that if you are a supporter of the site the voting get's broken down into two categories. One is the overall score, and the other is a score as voted only by registered members of the site. The registered voters tend to be a little more discerning and tend to give what I see as a more accurate score often. Usually if there is a big difference between the registered score and the non registered score there may have been a slew of friends or whatever splashing some "10's" on the mini.As people are saying, don't get too hung up on the score and ESPECIALLY don't get hung up on other peoples scores. The system works well enough to give you an indication of how well you're painting based on the perceptions of random people from the global community. It's a great tool, and I defo understand the satisfaction in seeing your mini's score better over time but you can't live and breathe on the scores.There's all sorts of joys and frustrations involved in the scoring of mini's. Just focus on the joys. I think Ritual hit it on the head in the first reply.

nah wtf isn't aggressive, trust me, go to frothers! as for all this, people don't react well when you just open up a thread and slag off other's stuff (without much indication what models you are actually talking about). maybe simply asking how you could improve yours or why yours isn't doing as well would prolly be a better way of going about it

as for quality, your's appears smoother, but the photos are dark and it's hard to see. i'd give you tips but my stuff is too dark too so can't really help. also the bottom fella is largely out of focus. the other submitter has done some freehand which always goes down well, as well as having a plain background, the whole sand thing you have your models resting on looks weird. multiple photos really should be included in one submission, you can make a montage in paint which is free on every comp so it's not that hard to do

It's all good.

This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    It's all good.

This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!
    Oh that's good, I'm taking that!

Potentially the scoring of ones minis can be used as a feedback mechanism to indicate ones progress/development as a painter and sculptor. I suspect most of us have a good idea of how we are develping without recourse to scores. The basis for scoring minis changes with time so it's a bit hard to get a true 'apples with apples' comparison.

Rather than try to understand 'odd' scores it's likely easier to say 'That's a bit odd init?' and carry on.
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

Its probably the depiction of rimming on the banner which gives the white helmeted dude his higher score :-D
    For an impression of the average gamers mindset, just look at the favorite shop-tags :-D :-D :-D Should explain a lot ;-)
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

I'm going to be blunt here.
    Its been a long standing convention on Coolminiornot to point out other people works and demand explanations as to why his X is better than my Y.
    Why?; because it comes across as petulant and rude.

If you want to ask for help to improve your painting then fine, but reading this thread.............distasteful.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I'm going to be blunt here.
    Its been a long standing convention on Coolminiornot [NOT?]to point out other people works and demand explanations as to why his X is better than my Y.
    Why?; because it comes across as petulant and rude.
    is that what you meant?

like i say, it's also the way you start a thread as if we are all halfway through a conversation and we have an idea what the hell you are on about!! there are 3258 pages of minis when i just looked, you really should specify as it mentions at the top of this forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by coolminiornot
    Here's where we talk about the minis posted on the site. eg. [123] How did you do that? - is the subject line to discuss id 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuggoth View Post
    Its probably the depiction of rimming on the banner which gives the white helmeted dude his higher score :-D
    lol didn't even notice that

what everyone else has said is good advice. Somewhat deliberately misinterpreting your opening post to mean "how can I improve my own score on this site" I'm inclined to suggest taking brighter pictures and keeping the mini in focus. Yes, that means your submissions are being downgraded due to photography skills rather than painting skills, but thats how this site works. The first noise marine is well lit and clearly photographed, and also has a clear backdrop. Your two submissions, while possible better painted, are rather dark and hard to make out, and in the case of the latter, out of focus. Fix these issues and your scores will go up. As has been mentioned ad nauseum, other people's scores are other people's business. Focus on what you're getting and use it as a very rough benchmark on your progress and you'll be a happier bunny

p.s. the registered users' scores on those minis show up as 5.4 for Ars Terra's work and between 5.6 and 6.5 for yours, depending on individual picture angle. Just FYI

By the way, if you want to submit multiple angle shots of a mini in a single post (and I recommend that you do) you should download some photo editing software. There are a lot of options out there ranging from Photoshop (a bajillion dollars) to GIMP (free to download). Either will allow you to stitch photos together into a montage. If you don't have any experience with photo software you will need to accept that it will take a few hours of your time to get the hang of using it. Once you do, though, your life will be sooooo much easier and your submissions will look much truer to how they appear in your hand.
    Last edited by me_in_japan; 10-08-2011 at 06:09 AM.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Hey all.
    Wow, I was in a foul mood yesterday and apologise for a dull and distasteful rant. Having logged on this morning and reading your comments I concur that I was a .... yesterday and take on board all of the sound advice passed on by you all. I'm not that au fait with the way cool mini works but again, through all of your advice (and rightfully admonishing me) I will get it right in the future.

Again, my sincere apologies,
    Nick
    Last edited by singularity; 10-08-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Not to worry Nick, a strop on the internet is a common thing to throw, suspect we've all been there at some point

Thanks for drawing my arttention to what I assume is the only mini in the Gallery with coprophiliac leanings! There's certaimy something for everyone here :lol:

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...