The Mail about His Fist!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mail about His Fist!

Default The Mail about His Fist!

I have been a follower of the CMON site for a number of years and I am continuously amazed by the amazing models that are displayed.
    It never crossed my mind before now for some reason, that if there is such a wealth of talent in one area, why not participate in it so that I can share and learn as much as possible!

So here I present to you my WIP Paladin squad. My intentions are to SLOWLY build a collection of Grey Knight Terminator miniatures that can be used for a Draigowing 40K army, and through the majick of magnets double as a stand in Space Hulk force.

I will begin by sharing my WIP Brother Captain. His is straight from the plastic GKT boxed set. I have sculpted a cloak onto him to add the illusion of movement. I have also added a "psycher cable" to the right side of his chest as a tribute to the old metal BC, and also to help distinguish him further from the other Paladins.

I also intend to give my entire force Belt feeds for their Storm Bolters as seen on this model. If your force will consist of under 30 models you really don't have any excuses not to kick things up a notch
    I am also currently sculpting an =][= onto the BC's sword so that it is a better representation of what a BC would be equipped with (Pictures of the sword will follow in future posts) Any comments on how to improve this model will be greatly appreciated!

lovely bases..needs to watch his skirt doesnt go up in flames tho.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Yeah neat stuff....although there is a moldline on his swordguard you missed
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Nice start and welcome! I love the additions but I would sand (if possible) the cloak down some. It has a rough surface that is more rocky than clothy so I would work on that a bit more. Other than that and the moldlines on the sword he is looking good so far.
    Easily distracted by shin-

Blog Entries

I can feel the heat from that base.......

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Thanks for the feedback!
    What do you guys use to sand white/green stuff? I have small files but they obviously don't do the job

Here is the progress on the sword's =][=, I have sculpted one on each side

The cape is looking good!

As for your question, the best thing is a knife to cut/crispen sharp edges, the side to scrape and soften harsh edges or to take off larger portions faster. For smoothing I use progressive sanding with sandpaper. I start with 240 grit or so(if needed), and move to 400 or 600 to smoothen/buff

Soft sandpaper is best. Be gentle and take your time.
    Easily distracted by shin-

Default Paladin Squad

Thank you for the advice.

Conversions are 99.9% done for the Paladins. I never feel like I am completely done, and whenever I post pics I see something that needs to be fixed.
    I have modeled tabbards on to each of the Paladins along with belt fed weapons (Psycannons included) so that they will not be confused with standard GKTs. The ammo pack and belt feed on the left handed Psycannon have indeed been a trial to complete, but I am almost satisfied with the results. Here is the art that inspired me, followed by my minis. Enjoy:

Lol...poor paycannon guy, he i gonna trip in that belt. Like the idea, should have been done of the models from the get go, as the magazines just look stooopid.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Default Decisions, decisions.....

So now that I have modeled the squad I am faced with the decision of how to paint them....

I am contemplating the following scheme:

I would alter the scheme slightly by having the hands silver aswell as the forearms, similar to a crimson fist scheme.
    I was inspired for the black by the model below, and would like to do my best to replicate it. I can envision this model with silver forearms and fists, and I like what I see :

To me, this feels like a BIG decision! LOL.
    I was hoping that I could get some advice/thoughts from the community in regards to the scheme I have described above.

Thank you in advance,

GB

I say go for it! That'd look very good I think. One thing that you might want to think about is to sue some freehand or custom decals to break up the large silver surfaces with some iconography or lettering. It always seemed to me that those silver arm guards are intricately detailed with holy texts and such.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Love those lava bases and your sculpted areas look really nice. Re the black I am kinda on board as I have never been a true fan of the all grey/silver look. That said the black will be a challenge and I for one am rubbish at it. Are you going for a very generously almost grey highlighted black or will it just be edge highlights? Silver hands/wrists is a good idea......maybe the helm or rh shoulder pad too? The shoulder pad would ape the chaplain rule of black armour, rh shoulder in chapter colours??

cheers
    will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Thank you for the replies.

I am aiming for a "grey black" like the Dread above. This will allow for damage to be painted on it and to promote the battle hardened effect I am hoping to create.

I was entertaining the idea of giving silver helmets to Brother Captains and/or Grand Masters.

What are your thoughts on silver "prayers" on the armour/shoulders as opposed to the traditional gold? The reference art has silver "prayers" and golden sword and book icon which looks quite nice IMHO.

Well, that seems like a good combo of colours. I feel it's always best to keep the palette to a minimum, like 3-4 including metalics. For instance, on my BA models I'm just using red & black as primary colours, and copper/gold for detailing. It works well to create a strong and dynamic visual.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Cool.
    Thanks Meph.

The colours I will be using are:
    - Black (armour)
    - Silver (armour and "prayers"/details)
    - Gold (GK Sword/Book icon, weapon hilts, some details)
    - Red (heraldry and purity seals)
    - White variants (Heraldry and tabards)

I'd go with the silver prayers and gold book & sword. Just think this provides a nicer contrast. Black/grey armour will look great!

Good luck!
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Indeed, looking forward to it...
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Had a chance to do some painting and modelling. As usual I am having a hard time deciding on how to proceed.
    I have tried my hand at NMM on an old landspeeder that I had lying around (vehicles are hard to do in NMM! ), and a metal chaplain.... I am not TOO disapointed with the results. Thoughts, comments?

I also sculpted a new base. I am going for a chaos world theme, only this time I am going to have blood on the base rather than lava..... I think that my skills have finally cought up with my imagination! I am thinking that the Daemon world the bases are from is none other than Khorion IX

I think that the battle damaged GKT's armour will lend itself well to this theme and reflect the desperate nature of the mission, and overwhelming ods! Any Thoughts, comments, critisism will be greatly appreciated.

Hey dude. NMM is looking ok. The gold IMO looks better than your silver. I'm learning NMM at the moment and I find that the thing that pulls it all together are the bright spots. Keep the realistic and do not over indulge. Good work so far, maybe neaten up som of the transitions by going back and glaring with base coat.

Cheers
    will