The Mail about His Fist! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mail about His Fist!

Quote Originally Posted by Willdorling View Post
    Hey dude. NMM is looking ok. The gold IMO looks better than your silver. I'm learning NMM at the moment and I find that the thing that pulls it all together are the bright spots. Keep the realistic and do not over indulge. Good work so far, maybe neaten up som of the transitions by going back and glaring with base coat.

Cheers
    will
    NMM is definitely a difficult technique. I appreciate any fedback i can get, and where better to get help than CMON? I. Do want the transitions to be better/smoother, what is the "glaring" technique you mentioned? I have heard that glazes can help to smooth transitions also. Where are you getting your NMM guidance from?

I gotta say I really like that NMM. Though, if you are indeed aiming for silver it is perhaps a bit... rough. But I don't mind that, I like the darker Iron/steel look you've got going now, somehow it seems better fitting in the 40k universe.
    "Without music life would be a mistake. I could only believe in a god who knew how to dance."

Just need to get a hold of a decent camera and there will be a thread. Presumably.

That's some damned decent nomnomnomming. Would know how to help you with it, never attempted it in my life and I probably never will.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thank you for the comments.
    My main focus now is being able to make the transitions smoother. I am pretty happy with the test model's right upper leg, and the censor globe in regards to blending and "reflections", now I just need to determine how to consistently produce that finish. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am just using very thinned paints and feathering.

Does anyone have suggestions in regards to what colour to paint the base that I sculpted? I am planning on applying blood to the actual base and I am thinking that I will use some derivative of bone for the "Chaosy" spiky bitz... Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm Blade View Post
    NMM is definitely a difficult technique. I appreciate any fedback i can get, and where better to get help than CMON? I. Do want the transitions to be better/smoother, what is the "glaring" technique you mentioned? I have heard that glazes can help to smooth transitions also. Where are you getting your NMM guidance from?
    Hey buddy. I got loads of advice from the articles section on this site. Have a look under the painting tab and there are a few on there. I also use a really good article from White Dwarf - Darren Latham Sanguinor Painting masterclass which gives really good colour mixes to get you started.

The glazing process is an interesting one. Essentially you take your basecoat colour, mix it with water so that when you you run your brush on a paper towel the colour is very dilute. Probably 10:1 water to paint. When you have painted some highlight/shade transitions and there is a bit of roughness, get some glaze, blot most out on paper towel (this isn't a wash) and draw your brush over the area you want to smoothen. What you are aiming for is such a thin layer of glaze that dries really quickly when blown on. You should not have so much on the brush so it runs into recesses....although you may get a bit of this as you learn so have a dry brush to hand to soak it out again. You will see no difference from the first few applications as the paint pigment is so dilute but after several layers you should start to see it pull your transitions together.

Word of warning - the more you do this, the more you pull your colours back towards your basecoat so I would try and use sparingly and if you have bright spots, maybe come back and hit them again after glazing.

Its essential your original paints are thinned so that your layers are smooth with no lumps and bumps as when glazing you will find it starts to pool/get stuck in imperfections on the paint surface.

Hope this helps - am learning myself so I have to use this a lot to pull my shoddy blending back. Also very difficult on fiddly areas, I find it better on larger flatter zones but this is where transitions stand out more when not great anyqay.

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Kinda got distracted with my LR/R/C conversion. I am going for a moving chapel/relic kind of feel. I have decided to go with a Lambda iconography for my Brotherhood and as such I am working it into the vehicles and the troops personal heraldry, etc...
    I have also magnetized all of the LRGH, LRR, and LRC weapons options. Here is the progress so far:

Multi Melta

Kinda got distracted with my LR/R/C conversion. I am going for a moving chapel/relic kind of feel.
    Nail on the Head mate!
    Really impressive conversion work, completely gets the feel of the Arcane Temple/Sanctuary for Grey Knights!

I'm also glad you've ditched the idea of Lava Bases as I've never been keen on them 'Logicwise' and in this case think that the brightness would be too much against the darkness of the knights.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Really great rollin' church you have there, top notch conversion work.

Too bad you will "ruin" it with nmm....old school black look so much better.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Thanks for the replies! I am excited to finish the LR project and get some paint onto it!
    I think that I will be painting it in true metallics, and as for the bases, I think that I will be incorporating blood using water affects

......... and as for the bases, I think that I will be incorporating blood using water affects
    Why not look at Tamiya Clear Red?
    Probably one of the best BLOOD paints around, just don't brushlick.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Why not look at Tamiya Clear Red?
    Probably one of the best BLOOD paints around, just don't brushlick.
    Will do! Thankyou for the tip!

Here is an update!
    I have magnatized the sponsons to the main body, I have also magnatized the search light and frag launchers. The "eagle bitz" are also pinned and glued into place.
    I had to scratch build the base plate for the Hunter Killer missile, and I am happy with it, just need to file and clean it up a bit.
    Next up is magnatizing the armour for the Heavy Incinerators and Hurricaine bolters so that it can be switched.

Awesome looking stuff mate! I can't wait to see what you do next!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

Wow dude, seriously cool conversion!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob