Perfect Painting Haven?

Thread: Perfect Painting Haven?

Question Perfect Painting Haven?

So, in an effort of full disclosure I recently sold some items and came into several hundred dollars that I don't have to share with the wife. (muohahah!) That being said, our new house has a room in the basement I can do whatever I want with. As of right now it is unfinished, but I could easily frame it in. I plan to turn it into a perfect painting/terrain building/modeling man-cave and I'm looking for some input as to what you guys would put into yours if you had the room/funds. Obviously, I'm looking for practical advice as I'm on a bit of a budget, but feel free to daydream as well.

Keep in mind, I will be doing the work myself and I don't have a huge building/carpentry background so any suggestions should be along the "do-it-yourself" vein.

As for the room dimensions, I took some measurements today. It's a fairly odd-sized room (my wife's grandfather built the place). It runs 13'x12.5' and I forgot to take vertical measurements. It's a decent sized room. Should fit everything I need as long as I utilize vertical space well.

Here's what I have so far planned:

- Two walls (at least) covered from floor to ceiling with pegboard. This will allow for modular shelving plus all sorts to tool storage and cool accessories.
    - a workbench spanning two walls and a corner. this will hold my PC, but give me plenty of space for multiple projects.
    - an airbrushing booth (with possible ventilation fan)
    - shelving hanging from the ceiling above the workbench for bins of parts/terrain materials, etc.
    - Some way to hang/organize my paints. I'm thinking of constructing a board with cut pvc pipes stuck on to slide the paints into.
    - Misc cabinets/shelving on the other walls to hold commission jobs in progress.
    - A display case for finished painted minis/armies
    - Plenty of lighting
    - Cool framed mini/fantasy/scifi artwork
    - Mini-fridge
    - Microwave
    - Possible Hepa air filter to deal with filings, dust, etc?
    - Photo Box

So... What am I missing? What would you add? Lastly, I'm a bit concerned about what colors to paint the walls? I mean, I don't really want to go with plain white, but I'm concerned that going with a color could effect my ability to paint the minis appropriately because of subtle reflections and such. Any thoughts? What would make YOUR perfect studio?

Well, if you're finishing the walls, I'd think of an in-wall speaker system. Keeps the speakers off the desk. Everything else seems to be covered.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus View Post
    Well, if you're finishing the walls, I'd think of an in-wall speaker system. Keeps the speakers off the desk. Everything else seems to be covered.
    ....and a TV to have inspirational mini related video playing, my 'man-desk' in my office has a macbook at the back where I can kick off exactly this whenever I feel I need inspiration - either that or semi-crappy sci-fi TV series for some background noise, stuff that I don't have to concentrate too hard on but can look at when I need to look away from the latest subject.

Dulux produce a range of paints (I think called "Light and Space") that have a reflective quality built in. I painted my office walls when I moved into my house using one of the colours and with a good daylight bulb it's surprising how much difference it makes.

Make sure that the area you paint in is fairly clear of crap. It's very easy to clutter the wall with useful bits and bobs only to find it makes where you're trying to paint you've created an oppressive environment.

A rotating cake stand is actually really useful. I've got one that I put my current project on that raises it 4" off the work surface, really useful and doubly so when you airbrush.

"- an airbrushing booth (with possible ventilation fan)"

Definitely with ventilation fan. If you leave it out you'll regret it.

Zach

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm definitely keeping my PC in there, so I will have no end to Hulu, youtube, and mini related DVD's.

Green Stuff Oven and an Oil Paint Oven- Separate items.

Basically boxes with 60m or 100W bulbs in them (Ventilation holess needed) in order to cure Green Stuff or other putties and the Oil Paint to Cure/Dry Oils "Overnight" -ish....Don't forget safety cutouts on the switches in case of getting too hot.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

A shark tank. Kidding of course, I wish I had a fish tank in my painting room but there is no room. I would recommend a large closet or make sure your cabinets have doors. Because many of us have so many boxes of unpainted minis for future projects that it may be best for prying eyes not to see the stash when they visit the man cave.

Looks like all the essentials are covered. I would only add that you make sure your desk/bench is at the right height so as not to get bad neck/back/shoulders. I suffer greatly as i paint on the dining room table so tend to be hunched over quite a lot. Oh yeah and a kettle.....you need a kettle for tea. Most important for late night painting

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Green Stuff Oven and an Oil Paint Oven- Separate items.

Basically boxes with 60m or 100W bulbs in them (Ventilation holess needed) in order to cure Green Stuff or other putties and the Oil Paint to Cure/Dry Oils "Overnight" -ish....Don't forget safety cutouts on the switches in case of getting too hot.
    Bear in mind you can buy mini fridges that also have a heat option too

Also, don;'t skimp on the chair, or you;ll regret it
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Oh, slightly jealous, sounds like it will be a top notch hobby room. If space is an issue the first thing from your list I'd drop would be the microwave, since it would probably be the least used for me, not a big coffee or tea made at home drinker. I'd upgrade the mini fridge to a water cooler with the hot/cold taps.

Don't forget about temperature regulation, depending where you live, it could be problematic. Also, design wise, should probably store paints/glues and all that sort of stuff on an inner wall, as far away from any air conditioning or heating as possible. Not only for the fire hazard risk or the degradation of the product but also for the ease of use at "room temperature".

Very jealous! Right now, I have to use my computer desk to paint on, whilst sitting on my bed! My mouse has to fight for space with my palette and a pile of part-assembled spearmen. Luckily my keyboard is bluetooth, so that's sitting on my knees.

Sod the kettle get a decent coffee machine!

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

As a desk-bound wage slave, a good chair is priceless.
    Sitting for extended periods in a proper chair makes it do-able.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Ah, yes. A good chair is definitely a priority! Fortunately I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but we do have one of those Keurig coffee machines so I can just run upstairs to snag a cup if need be.

The room is twice the size of my previous office, so space really isn't an issue, especially with judicious use of vertical space. My actual "gaming" space is in the already finished portion of the basement, so I can dedicate my office room entirely to painting/terrain building/hobby shop space. Should be plenty of room for the fridge and the microwave on top. (The microwave is completely frivolous, but since my wife and I are just now combining our stuff after emptying my storage facility, we have three microwaves lol.)

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

PS - a shark tank would be awesome... perhaps I'll stick with a Beta fish instead?

Like freak said above, a good chair is really a must. Ventilation to get fumes out is also a good investment! If you can have a small sink and running water it would be quite useful (how far do you have to go in the house to get clean water?). Ah yes! Last, but not least, pots for holding brushes?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot_Superhero View Post
    PS - a shark tank would be awesome... perhaps I'll stick with a Beta fish instead?
    A nano cube with Beta and a few shrimp