Byronic's Wood Elf Army Plog.

Thread: Byronic's Wood Elf Army Plog.

Default Byronic's Wood Elf Army Plog.

Hello all, it's been a very long time since I've posted anything of mine in this forum, but given the quality of critique I've had before from you fine outstanding (ruthless) chaps I thought I'd post here in the hopes of getting my army constructively slated!

Basically I'm trying to paint this army up to as high a standard as is realistically possible, without it being impractically slow: I am aiming to paint 300points a month, so in 6.5 months the theory is I should have a completed 2400 point army.
    I am no great shakes at gaming, I really enjoy it, but tactical genius I am not, I plan on attend a few tournaments (havign attended a grand total of 1 a couple of years back), but but I'd be really happy if I could win a best painted award some day. The theme is 'On the Eve of Winter' with the idea being I can break up what I hope is a very chilly looking army with some warm autumnal colours here and there, as I love it unconditionally hawk turquoise will be everywhere I can manage!

Finally I am looking to push some skills which I feel hold my painting back with this army, attempting to get out of my comfort-zone, they are;

- Bright colours, I want it to get noticed
    - Nice clean obvious edge highlighting (a real weakness of mine, I love how the 'Eavy metal guys did their woodies)
    - Painting an entire army, for myself!
    - The dreaded freehand banner, luckily I will only have one or two to do

So without further ado here's some pictures, don't hold back on the thoughts/ideas/criticisms, that's what I posting them here for

Test Dryad (I changed my mind afterwards)

Test Archer (I also changed my mind somewhat afterwards, I want this army *bright* as I tend towards dull)

Test Dryad with blue spite, and with unit (back rank are being drybrushed to save time)

First 300 Points (all but finished)

250 of my next 300 points:

Scary Banner, jeering at me and my lack of freehand skills

In particular specific questions are:

Spites: What colour do I do them? On my test-dryad I did it icey-blue, but I changed y mind and made my dryads more than colour, so I'm not sure if it'd stand out enough now (is that a bad thing? They're stll going to be a very pure bright blue, which nothing else will be)

Basing: I'm re-doing the dryads to ake it look soother, I want it very snowy, after the first fresh dump (that sounds bad..) of the year, but I'm not altogether happy with it, I'm going to try and integrate the top of the movement trays with the black rims in my next unit, which I think may help pull things together.

I changed my ind on the browns after the first rank of archers, the back rank is how they're going to be.

Cheers for looking/reading my waffle, now hit me up with your thoughts!

Byron
    I'm available for commissions - Byron.Orde@gmail.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
    how the 'Eavy metal guys did their woodies
    Must resist....not going to touch this one....

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Ahhhh angry tree huggers.....

Looks neat
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Nice, crisp painting as always, keep up the good work.

Wow love the overall look of the army, nice and neatly painted too!
    As for the snow I think it may be a bit overdone, as i think of the first snow i think of patches of snow en pools of melted snow, although this could be 'cause I live in the Netherlands XD
    And the spites, the bright blue should work, but you may want to use them too bring in the autumn-ish colours back again

just my 2 cents

Greets Joren

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl View Post
    You don't want to touch my woody?

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post

Looks neat
    Tah bud.

Quote Originally Posted by mousekiller View Post
    Thanks mousekiller, was happy to see your return after a break, doesn't look like you've lost any of your skills I must say

Quote Originally Posted by JorenBSld View Post
    As for the snow I think it may be a bit overdone, as i think of the first snow i think of patches of snow en pools of melted snow, although this could be 'cause I live in the Netherlands XD
    And the spites, the bright blue should work, but you may want to use them too bring in the autumn-ish colours back again

just my 2 cents

Greets Joren
    V helpful feedback! I did originally do patches of snow (on the first dryad unit) but it looked horrific, really messy and 'busy' I think this may purely be a result of using the skirmish movement trays however.

I also want to keep the overall look of the army very 'cool' colourwise, so I'm still unsure as how to proceed :S

I'm going to test out taking the snow and bits of rubble etc over the edge of this base and see how it looks, if I'm still unhappy I'll be goind ahead with your suggestion

20 glade guard base been undercoated, this is the biggest unit in the army so once it's done things should feel slightly less daunting!

Cheers again for the feedback all!

Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl View Post
    You don't want to touch my woody?

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post

Looks neat
    Tah bud.

Quote Originally Posted by mousekiller View Post
    Thanks mousekiller, was happy to see your return after a break, doesn't look like you've lost any of your skills I must say

Quote Originally Posted by JorenBSld View Post

just my 2 cents

Greets Joren
    V helpful feedback! I did originally do patches of snow (on the first dryad unit) but it looked horrific, really messy and 'busy' I think this may purely be a result of using the skirmish movement trays however.

I also want to keep the overall look of the army very 'cool' colourwise, so I'm still unsure as how to proceed :S

I'm going to test out taking the snow and bits of rubble etc over the edge of this base and see how it looks, if I'm still unhappy I'll be goind ahead with your suggestion

20 glade guard base been undercoated, this is the biggest unit in the army so once it's done things should feel slightly less daunting!

Cheers again for the feedback all!

Byron

Blue done; my eyes, my poor eyes!

This is some gorgeous work. I'm going to be starting a wood elf army soon, and I will be checking out this post to get some inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Eisenhorn View Post
    This is some gorgeous work. I'm going to be starting a wood elf army soon, and I will be checking out this post to get some inspiration!
    Thanks very much bud, any questions on recipes/any part of my stuff don't hesitate to ask! There's no point me learning by trial and error and not being able to save others all of the errors I make

More slow 'n' steady progress, I've been plugging away and FINALLY have what's starting to look mildly finished/cohesive, as normal I had soe colour-matching issues, but I've learned from the mistake and am now writing down every recipe I use from this point forward! I''m having real issues with the eagle's feathers, which are a pretty fussy and thankless task, I'm sure there's a far easier way to sculpt feathers out there, but I've no idea what it is...

There's a small chance that I'll be finished in time, it's going to be very very close though, also I need to re-do the brown on the first 7(front rank) of the first unit of archers I did, which'll cut into things somewhat.

Pictures:

Thoughts welcome as ever, I'm debating what to do for next month's 300points: I might do the last 2 units of 10 archers, it'll be a little bit boring, but once that's underway it'll only be 3 units of dryads then 100%funsies of characters and treemen, we'll see. I'm pretty busy finishing off Ogres and a Necron monolith pre december, but I'll have much more time after that as I'm taking a little break to work on a few ideas I've had/have an actual holiday.

Cheers y'all, and if anyone can help me out with the feather-sculpting problems I'm having in any way I'd really appreciate it;they're killing me!

Byron
    Last edited by Byronic; 11-27-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Those blue cloaks are soooo pretty. And nicely gsed greatgriffoneagle
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1