Acrylic matt/glaze medium

Thread: Acrylic matt/glaze medium

Default Acrylic matt/glaze medium

Hi.

So today I got some matt medium as a present. But it looks milky - white. The description also says it will dry slightly milky. So basically I fear it is useless for me. What manufacturer/brand can you recommend for acrylic matt medium and/or glaze medium? It should not alter the hue/look of the colour, just the flow and binding of the colour. Mainly because I'm mixing a lot of colours (I'm using Citadel and Coat D'Arms) and although water works, there are some that flow pretty badly that way, they seem to "group up" in the brush and all of sudden make a big drop when I wanna paint a very thin line. I guess medium will solve this issue and instead of making it watery, give it a better flow and binding (that's what it is there for after all, no?). So... as I said, if you can recommend a brand for matt medium and/or glaze medium, I'm open ears. But... it should be available from Europe without $15 shipping costs Just link me if you got some.

Greetings and merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Hendarion; 12-24-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Vallejo glaze medium.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

I've been using Vallejo glaze medium and matt medium, and altho they are both milky white, there doesnt appear to be any effect on the dried paint. As I understand it, you're supposed to use just a wee bit of it (e.g. a drop) in a larger amount of water (e.g. ten drops) or so. I think you can go as far as 50/50. I tend to just add "a wee bit" and go from there. I use the vallejo thinner, too (I need to use it for the vallejo air metallic, as other thinners disagree with these paints something awful. The vallejo stuff is fine and dandy tho, as you would expect, given that it's the same paint/thinner manufacturer.)

Anyway, to get to the point: I can vouch for vallejo matt medium. I use it with no problems.
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Blog Entries

YoungWolf7 did a lovely article on glaze mediums. Here's the link: http://youngwolf7.com/?page_id=1448

Page 2 covers Vallejo specifically.

I also use the vallejo medium with no issues.
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 12-25-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Thanks, I checked that out. But actually it describes more the "how to use" than the "does it alter the colour" Anyway, I guess if they all look that way, I'll give mine a try.
    Last edited by Hendarion; 12-25-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Colours are not altered, with either.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Hendarion, ever noticed that dark colours especially are lighter when wet than after they've dried? This is because all regular acrylic or vinyl mediums are milky; as they dry they go clear and this whiteness vanishes from the paint film.

Einion

I just bought some matt and glaze medium with a flow improver and retarder to try to tame these beasts I heard talking so often but having so far no chances to really use them.. I just have some varnish for protection and a thinner from Vallejo.
    I want to improve my NMM skills and often get some brush marks by doing the highlight even with a big dilution... Some people advice my using flow improver... I will give it a try to see which one is fitting the best!

Actually, to be honest, I've never had such a thing happening ever yet, Einion. And I imagine this behaviour to be not pretty much useful for layering.
    In case of for example Citadel Scorpion Green, the opposite is happening, it is drying far more milky than it is while being wet (that colour sucks, I'm glad I'm using it only as base-colour for a finishing layer of a green candy).
    Last edited by Hendarion; 12-28-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendarion
    Actually, to be honest, I've never had such a thing happening ever yet, Einion. And I imagine this behaviour to be not pretty much useful for layering.
    No, it's not useful at all, it's a right pain.

Einion

Excuse me? Was this some kind of irony or something?

No, not at all: wet-to-dry colour shifts are very much the opposite of useful.

Einion

Yea. :/ That's why I tried to find some medium that doesn't change the colour too much. I'll give my milky one a try though once I'm back home after the holidays.