Experts in Necron world/fluff - I need a huge favor

Thread: Experts in Necron world/fluff - I need a huge favor

Default Experts in Necron world/fluff - I need a huge favor

I was wondering if I could impose on some of you to give this a quick read and tell me what you think. I'm not familiar with the Necron backstory at all and this time I wasn't able to pick up the source book. I just want to make sure I don't have some little tidbit that is a "Geez! They never do that!" type of thing. For example, my dad's a retired cop, loves watching cop shows, but if they hold their weapons wrong or enter a room incorrectly, etc. he's all over it. lol! His pet peeve - the star of the show always picks up evidence before photographing it. My dad throwing a fit about it is funnier than the goofs he spots. Anyway, I'm just looking for stuff like that - things I SHOULD know but don't. lol!

I'm working on photos of these guys now but y'all may remember how it went with the Tusk. Maybe it will only take me a couple of hours instead of a couple of days.

Okay - here goes nothing:

The tides of war shift and the enemy adapts. A new weapon appears on the battlefield and suddenly your armor, tactics and strategies are antiquated. Your troops fall in greater numbers unable to withstand the onslaught. Your tactics are in vain. The line wavers, threatening to buckle.

Are you ready? Can your army withstand the improved troops and weapons the enemy throws at you? Or will you vanish in the dust of obsolescence?

Time for a refit.

The Necron machine never stops. Computers analyze battlefield data, identify strengths and weaknesses, and calculate a solution. Instructions flood to assembly lines, new diagrams, new technical drawings. Machines refit themselves, the assembly line morphs, production of the new warrior begins.

At the end of the assembly line, legions of silent warriors stand, their armor as black as an event horizon. The old silver and gold armor is only a data point now and descending in relevance as new statistics comes to the fore. Only a small amount of darkened silver and a tiny touch of gold can be seen. The red glimmer of copper sparks against the black carbon armor, a great conductor for the new weapons and power systems, more plentiful in supply.

The warriors stand ramrod straight, their power plants, not yet activated, they remain attached to the umbilical assembly arm. Lights flash along the umbilical as the intelligence that is the vast assembly complex conducts one last quality control check.

Lynchguard: All systems primed and ready, there are no anomalies, commencing activation.

A blue glow ignites in the heart of each machine, weak at first but it steadily grows stronger. Optical lenses shift with a slight whirring sound, a red fire of computerized intelligence flares in the painted bone colored skulls.

Activation complete, all data feedback within tolerance levels, commencing download, Lynchguard Regiment Gamma 694-02, Hyperphase Sword program module. Lynchguard Regiment Gamma 694-02 Dispersion Shield program module. Download complete, all systems with tolerance levels.

Lynchguard Regiment Gamma 694-02 prepare to deploy….

And now it is up to you. Will you command the Lynchguard? Will they arrive in time to reinforce your faltering lines? Will the tides of war shift again as this time it is you who adapts?

Don't know much about Necrons but when I paint something I just look at better painters work and copy em! :-0 ..... well not copy but get 'inspiration' :-)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Huge apologies for this, but...

Necrons aren't computers.

Sorry, sorry, sorry *winces for banjaxing what is otherwise a pretty nice piece of fluff*

The official necron fluff runs thus:

a bajillion years ago, there was a race called the Necrontyr. They were galaxy spanning emo goths, rather obsessed with death in a quasi-egyptian style. After a while they went to war with the Old Ones, who are never really described, but were powerful, n stuff. The Necrontyr were losing. Just then, before they were eternally whupped, a group of creatures called the C'tan appeared and offered to ally with the Necrontyr.

"Hey guys" they say "Buddy up with us and we'll see that you all live forever, and you'll have cool shiny guns, too. What's that you say? What's in it for us? Ah, we're just doing it cos we hate those frumpy old Old Ones."

"cool," say the ever-gullible Necrontyr leaders.

The C'tan promptly suck everbody's souls out of their bodies and transplant it into cold, unfeeling machines. but OH DEAR, they forgot to bring the personalities along. Oh whoops, let's just eat all the spare bits of soul - they were just lying around anyway.

Fortunately for the Necrontyr (now Necron) leaders, the higher up the political food chain you were, the more personality got transferred. So the uber muckety mucks (lords n suchlike) were pretty much transferred intact, the military (lychguard, immortals etc) were mostly ok, and the minions (warriors) got not quite enough smarts to tie their shoelaces (note complete lack of shoelaces on necrons.)

There's a bunch of other stuff about how the Necron lords were right ticked off with the C'tan, and eldar got involved and so on and so forth, but the bit that's relevant to you is:

(still a bajillion years ago) the eldar were getting very powerful, so the Necron decided it would be a good idea to hide for a bit. They basically shut down their planets, hid in stasis cells, made li'l pocket universes, and otherwise buggered off for a bit. Now , however (year 40,000and a bit), they are waking up to reclaim the galaxy, purge the living, and generally make a nuisance of themselves.

Does that make any sense at all? Sorry - I read the Cron book last weekend, so this is largely just from memory. Hope it helps

*edit* ooh, btw - if you're writing fluff for 'crons, it's lychguard, not lynchguard, altho to be fair, I'd be more afraid of lynchguard...
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Cool! Thanks MiJ! That's exactly what i was looking for. Back to the drawing board on the fluff part doggoneit! lol! LYCHGUARD, okay typing that one fifty times. Thanks for that catch, that would have seriously screwed up the auction searches.

Too bad they're not computers - I was going to do a little flash thing I could embed into the html auction with the classic computer screen and the typed commands appearing on the screen by themselves. Thanks for the assist on this! I really appreciate it.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

I always thought the Necro glowed green?
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Blue looks pretty cool, orange as well Airhead.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Mij has it dead on.

Necrons aren't a coherent empire. The tomb worlds are scattered all over the galaxy, some awoken and some still sleeping.

Some worlds have corrupted programming and are flawed in some way. So there are plenty of options to make your own necron realm and play with the fluff abit.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Well the glowing blue part is my "artistic license" on the minis. These are new units, why repackage old processes in a new unit? Is Microsoft building them? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I like the fact that you use that dark purplish blue on your minis. Having an easy to identify style should make you "famous" more quickly
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Like the idea of rows of Silent Black Warriors, sounds (and would look) pretty sinister.

And Lychguard is just a bad way of doing Liche Guard for 12 years olds who've never heard of D&D.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Like the idea of rows of Silent Black Warriors, sounds (and would look) pretty sinister.
    I prefer it when they chant and sing

Blog Entries

I burst out in a fit of laughter, GP. I'm sorry, but that was f*cking funny.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

The funny part is I do the same thing when my wife wants me to go out with her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonbuddha View Post
    The funny part is I do the same thing when my wife wants me to go out with her friends.
    Shared sympathy on that, funnily enough when I read your comment, my Outlaws came to mind.....................
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.