Someone\'s gonna die!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone\'s gonna die!

Default Someone\'s gonna die!

Man, I fucking hate painting eyes! It\'s so bad that my personal image of hell is painting super tiny eyes on miniatures 24/7.
    So two hours ago I sat down and started on a new fig, painting the face first. Alrighty, everything\'s peachy until that godawful moment I have to paint the eyes. The first one\'s fine but getting the second one with the hair sculpted half way over it decent enough so that the mini doesn\'t look cross-eyed is a bloody pain in the butt! After about eight or nine attempts I finally gave up and was mildly inclined to throw that blasted mini out of the window. Well I didn\'t...I\'m the untalented bitch after all.

Rant over. Thanks. Tune back in tomorrow.

Default How about...

Paint the eyes/face first?

Originally posted by finn17
    Paint the eyes/face first?
    Yep - I always do eyes first. Except for the fact the figure is then looking at me the whole time I am painting it, it works best for me. Still hate doing eyes though!

I always paint the eyes/face/flesh first ... it\'s always best to paint inside-out to avoid the risk of needing to paint \"through\" an area that\'s already complete. Also, by doing the face first, the mini starts to have a personality and helps me know what to do w/ the rest of it.

jim

You could paint the eyes dark brown and not \'paint the eye\' at all as such.

My Lord of the Rings Golden Demon entries for the last two years were painted like that. One was a finallist and the other took gold.

Steve B

Default patchwork....

Paint first eye.

Take a little glob of putty.

Flatten it.

Place over second eye.

Paint black.

Your character had his/her eye poked out in a battle.

works everytime!lollollol

I originally posted this in another thread \"Painting Faces\":

Painting eyes can be a bind. I\'ve developed this method which works for me. You can try it and see if it\'s any good for you.

First off I prime my figures black so I\'m at an advantage.
    With a 000 brush I paint in the sockets of the eye with Skull White or Vallejo Ivory. Any over paint or slips I touch up with Black.

After having washed my 000 brush I take a tiny amount of black paint and on the eye nearest to my painting hand draw a vertical line.
    Then I turn the mini upside down and do the same to the other eye.

It sounds complex but it is easier to do than to describe. In essence it\'s about reducing the amount of movement the painting hand has to do in order to paint fine detail.

Once you feel comfortable with doing this, you can change from black to using a colour for the iris. Shadow Grey looks pretty good for blue eyes.

Hope that this helps.

Default Eye know what you mean love...

Bah! eyes are the bane of my life :( I always start with the face on a model mainly because it\'s the hardest part and if I can crack that, then the rest of the model usually follows on. It also gives my model a personality...ahem... if you know what I mean :D

So Mike, you basically paint a cross as a pupil is that it? Well, I\'d be happy if I got a dot where I wanted it.

You paint no white in there at all then, Steve? Are those pics in your gallery, I want to have a look at it.

I always paint the face first as well but doing the eyes even before the skin? I think I\'d have even more trouble that way. But I\'ll try. On some mini I don\'t like. ...I don\'t even own one.

I like your advice best, vike! I did something similar on my wood sorceres. Painted a scar all over one of her eyes and was done with it. :D Or maybe I sell every fig with eyes I own and from now on only paint minis which either wear goggles or a full face helmet.

Hey Tee, Personality is my middle name! :]

Originally posted by Gypsy
    Hey Tee, Personality is my middle name! :]
    I\'m not telling you mine!

I\'ve also had problems painting eyes, until I changed my paint brush to a black marker pen to draw the pupils on. Much easier, since you have much more control over it.

U4-Welcome

Message original : Gypsy
    I like your advice best, vike! I did something similar on my wood sorceres. Painted a scar all over one of her eyes and was done with it. :D Or maybe I sell every fig with eyes I own and from now on only paint minis which either wear goggles or a full face helmet.
    Or an eyepatch ! Arrr, thar she blows ! Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum, and all that. :flip:

*shrug* I dunno, I paint faces last, eyes last in the face, and while it also takes me an unhealthy number of tries, I end up getting it about right. If I were impatient I wouldn\'t paint minis.

It\'s not by any chance Hammer, Moustache or even The Elder, Mike?

I thought about getting one of those pens but they are extremely expensive. Around 15 Euros or something.

Default Nah, nah, nah....

Originally posted by Gypsy
    I thought about getting one of those pens but they are extremely expensive. Around 15 Euros or something.
    We are not talking about solid gold Rotrings you know. You should be able to get a set of 4 for about 10 Euros. The ones I use are disposable and cost about 3-4 Euros each:flip:

Originally posted by U4-Welcome
    Message original : Gypsy
    Or an eyepatch ! Arrr, thar she blows ! Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum, and all that. :flip:

*shrug* I dunno, I paint faces last, eyes last in the face, and while it also takes me an unhealthy number of tries, I end up getting it about right. If I were impatient I wouldn\'t paint minis.
    U4-Welcome I don\'t get that. Why eyes last? Isn\'t it making the job more difficult for yourself. Because you are basically going back into work you\'ve already done. you\'ve admitted that it\'s not easy and you\'ve had to redo the attempts.
    Maybe you should try eyes, then skin out over, on a figure and see how you do.

@Gypsy: It starts with a \"K\".........for Knockometer.

Sturmhalo

Once you get the hang of em, eyes are pretty simple to paint. That doesn\'t stop the odd mini being a real pain in the arse though! Little squinty eyes are a bitch to paint. I normally do those black/dark brown and pop a little white into the corners for simplicity.

Originally posted by finn17 The ones I use are disposable and cost about 3-4 Euros each:flip:
    Same here :flip:

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

@ DR - is it \"Deep\" as in Dragons Reach Deep. :cool:

I am learning to paint eyes first as well (but have yet to learn to paint them well). That gets the worst part of the mini done so I can work out from there.

I tend to do eyes/face last, to me it just helps bring everything together.

But then I think faces are one of my weakspots, so what would I know?