Kal Jerico - Whats wrong with it?

Thread: Kal Jerico - Whats wrong with it?

Default Kal Jerico - Whats wrong with it?

As I have finished up my latest mini and have put it up to ebay for a good cause, I get more and more votes for it.
    And some I simply don´t understand. I know it is not an absolute masterpiece like some others here, but I get some very low votes.
    As the number of registered votes are pretty low at the moment (16), I can track the scoring a bit.
    It dropped repeatedly siginificant in the ratings, so I started to do a little math:
    At least 2 times I have gotten a 1 for it, the third one I am not sure about it, either 4 people have scored it around 5 or 4 people scored it between 7 and 9 and I got a 1 again.
    Either way, I find myself in bewilderment.
    No comment, no critics but low scores. I can live with the score if I know what I have done wrong, but I honestly think it is above a 6.9. But thats just my opinion.
    So, discuss! (Please )

http://www.coolminiornot.com/291768

Last edited by Narayan; 11-17-2011 at 03:56 AM.

The painting is good, the photo is ok but theres something I'm not liking. I don't know what it is?
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

yea, must be that - I've looked at it for ages just don't 'sing' to me " :-)
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

I didn't score it but I'm not a fan of the mini itself, is that thing on his forehead supposed to be a really long quiff? It looks really weird to me.

Nice base and coat paintjob

Thanks
    And to that thing on his head... I guess that is supposed to be his queue of hair, thrown up in motion or sth... I agree the sculpt is kind of weird.

score often do not reflect the work done. after there has tastes of each person. One can notice that the Space Marines are more successful than historical minis is a shame. I find that your mini is not too bad. we need to improve contrast. what is obvious is the yellow of the sword and the gun that is too yellow, and then the thing on her head is weird.

Thanks, will correct the tone of gold/yellow NMM on my next.

And LOL, dropped to 6.6 now.

A comment from Skeeve:

Did you actually care to compare this model with other models in 8-9 range? Objectively compare, that is. Small things like color choice, quality of highlight shadows transitions, color variety are lacking here lacking here. This miniature is, indeed a perfect 6.5, but if having 8 makes you feel better, than go for it

-----------------------------------------

Have you objectively compared it to any 6.5 around here? I have, and I don´t thnik it is a 8-9, but I don´t think it is a "perfect" 6.5
    A 5 is just tabletob Quality, with some colours on it and meant for play.

Skipping thorugh your gallery, you think that it is perfectly matched with

http://www.coolminiornot.com/136245?browseid=3299198

http://www.coolminiornot.com/136275?browseid=3299198

and siginificantly worse than

http://www.coolminiornot.com/188734?browseid=3299198

?

And this is just a quick skip through your gallery, not the whole CMON thing.

As said, I agree that it is not a 8.5, if you rate truly objective.
    Color Choice and Color Variety are subjective, and that I could improve on some minor things (NMM, Freehand, soem transitions) is the reason it is no 8-9

Seems I have to paint some Space Marines next

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
    A

Skipping thorugh your gallery, you think that it is perfectly matched with

http://www.coolminiornot.com/136245?browseid=3299198

http://www.coolminiornot.com/136275?browseid=3299198

and siginificantly worse than

http://www.coolminiornot.com/188734?browseid=3299198

?
    In fact, I do. Go to gallery search, In the window above select score limit between 8 and 9. Sort them by Rating (ascending). Check those where differences between All and registered do not exceed 0.5 point. Compare. If you don't see differences then nobody can help you.

Color choice is subjective only up to a point. There are combinations that are simply do not look good and do not work together no mater what you do with them. Read up on Color theory, it does help, or simply look at miniatures in 9-10 range or, even better painting in any local museum

PS. YEs, this is not your fault but the miniature itself is rather uninspiring. I used to paint several of those Black Library miniatures for commission and it was always a struggle. Most of them have serious casting mistakes, strange poses, lack details and so on. I understand that they are rare, and have sentimental value for many older players, but as far as sculpting most of them are below average
    Last edited by skeeve; 11-21-2011 at 12:32 PM.

the paints okay its the winky on his forehead thats just woefully bad, its the first thing id cut off i mean its not even johnny bravo as quiff's go just a bit silly imo
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

I haven't voted but I would give it low 7's up to 7.5...

Things I dislike are:

In the sculpt - It's the head thing everyone else mentioned. It's just a bit weird.
    Colours - The sword and pistol are all gold and I feel they could use a little breaking up with another colour. They could also go a bit darker in places to give a bit more contrast as they are a close match for his sticky-up hair.
    Ear rings... they look skin colour and that makes him look like he has two ear lobes on either side. It looks a little unfinished.
    On the base - It's very big but the extra size isn't being used to add story or atmosphere, the same feel would be possible with a smaller one that wouldn't swamp the mini so much.

Things I like are:

The cloak - Nice rich colours and dirty edges give it a very cool look.
    The face - I like the natural colour choices for skin and stubble.
    The base - I love the colour choice and darkness of it.

I personally think around 7 is a damn good score for a mini... it's not a 10, 9 or 8 in my view but it's way better than tabletop and something to be pleased with for sure.

The figure is rubbish, the yellow weapons look like toys (this is the worst bit of the mini and what folk will be hammering you on I reckon) and the base is a touch too large. I'd (objectively) give it a 6 or 7. Which is where it's at

That hair throws off the whole mini for me. He looks like a unicorn.

I'm in total agreement with Skeeve. In fact, as harsh as it sounds, I think it's closer to a 6. Sorry.

-Blending is OK in spots but not consistently good to my eye.
    -Blonde hair just loks yellow. it seems to match the sword.
    -Grey pants don't have very much contrast
    -Colour choice on the mini in most aspects doesn't work for me. Gun, Hair, Sword, all the same etc.
    -Base is way, way too big for the mini.

The good...

-Face looks decent
    -Base is great! Technically I don't think you put a lot of effort into the blends and such on it but it really works.
    -There looks to be some very nice parts on the mini. I think the boots work very well.

Overall I'd say it was a 6 paint job on a 7 base. Also if you ask people to discuss your mini's You might not want to jump on the first guy to really offer you some constructive crit and publicly state what they feel about the mini just 'cause it wasn't a glowing review. The online community is fantastic and it's best to take advice and most often your scores then push harder. And just 'cause you tried your best doesn't mean people are going to throw down marks you think you should be getting. As for getting ones and stuff, happens from time to time! I get my share.

Skeeve and I don't agree on politics but he and I are in agreement on the mini. I'll go now and check the links you've posted and check out your gallery and see what the comparisons were.

Just checked out the links to Skeeve's 6-7 mini's and I think they're painted better than the Kal Jericho piece. The technical blending from one colour to another relatively seamlessly put's them in my mind higher than they're scored.

Also... Did you notice the WIDE difference in the scores of your mini's from registered vs. unregistered voters? It's a big difference.

If you really want to see your painting progress I would suggest maybe starting up a WIP thread and collect advice as you go.

Blog Entries

I have to say, firstly, the rating system on here isn't perfect. There are maaaaany factors. Who likes you, who doesn't, people looking at your work that might be jealous, if you have a fan club... There's a whole list of variables. The ratings have also shifted goalposts in recent years due to the top end (near 10s) being much better than say, the near 10s of yesteryear, so standards shift. I've seen a few minis around the galleries sitting at 5-6 when they should REALLY be a solid 8-9. It gets crazy, so don't let the scores discourage you.

Secondly, yes, the sculpt is terrible.
    The "quiff" is supposed to be a braid that's thrown up in the air.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...