Alexis WIP Waarhammer - Page 3
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexis WIP Waarhammer

Here it goes! Sorry for the delay, but I had one of those weeks

This's the canon and the matching dwarf. I still have to finish the basing.

Name:  IMG_2056-1.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  787.1 KBName:  IMG_2057-1.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  84.8 KBName:  IMG_2059-1.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  77.7 KBName:  IMG_2060-1.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  89.1 KB

So I went along with your advice Meph, but just on the arm.

Here goes the rest Had some problems with the uploads, but here it is ( darn Flash!! )

Name:  IMG_2062-1.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  72.4 KBName:  IMG_2065-1.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  78.3 KBName:  IMG_2066-1.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  80.2 KBName:  IMG_2067-1.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  70.2 KB

This is the scenery in a early stage

Name:  IMG_2052-1.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  140.3 KBName:  IMG_2054-1.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  163.0 KB

Nice job, and those little tattoos look clean & crisp. Lovely, lovely!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Thanks Meph

Very nice stuff. The tatoos turned out well and fit the minis well. Loooove the base diorama thing btw.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

This was a minis weekend! I've finished the dwarfs, hope you like the final result

Name:  anc3b5es-tds-1-1-e1329392568231.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  766.6 KB

I've put it for votes at:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/298925/
    Last edited by Alexandra; 02-16-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: better pics

Blog Entries

Maybe it's just me, but the light color around the base edge draws my eye right to it. Maybe darken it so the eye is pulled to the diorama and helps hide the grain of the wood used?

The diorama looks ace! Very nicely done!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

You're right, but the grain problem won't go away with a dark color. I've made a board game for my brother and even with several layers of black the veins still pop up, as you can see below...
    Name:  kamisado-4.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  1,006.1 KB

I would prefer to work with a light grain wood, but it's difficult to come by where I am.
    I'll probably pass a dark gray later on, more on the hue of the rocks...
    Last edited by Alexandra; 02-13-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Blog Entries

I think you would need to do this before doing the groundwork because of the sanding involved, but a grain filler would work for future projects. Apply, let dry, sand then paint.

Link: http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004493/2004493.aspx

You would need to find a local equivalent in DIY home improvement/Hardware/Lumber shops.

Another option would be to glue a veneer strip onto the edge.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl View Post
    I think you would need to do this before doing the groundwork because of the sanding involved, but a grain filler would work for future projects. Apply, let dry, sand then paint.

Link: http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004493/2004493.aspx

You would need to find a local equivalent in DIY home improvement/Hardware/Lumber shops.

Another option would be to glue a veneer strip onto the edge.

Thanks! I'll try that next time.

So, next adventure: Dreadfleet!! You are probably wondering why I do mostly closed box sets. Reason: I still haven't found a decent place in Portugal to buy the minis I like!

Having taken that of my chest, here goes some pics of what I've done so far:

Name:  IMG_2122.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  1.04 MB

did the rocks and the eyes of the sculls

Name:  IMG_2124.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  1.09 MBName:  IMG_2125.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  851.6 KB

not sure about the big sculls... they pop up when I hit it with light, but when is just normal light it seems to fade...

As usual, opinions and tips are welcome

Finish painting most of the terrain minis. Just the turtle, volcano and castle to go.

Name:  IMG_2145-1.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  96.0 KBName:  IMG_2129-1.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  88.2 KBName:  IMG_2146-1.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  123.5 KBName:  IMG_2132-1.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  84.5 KB

On the pieces with boats on it, I chose to give the wood and sails a first layer of brown and light grey, so you could see it trough the salt and seaweeds layers. I like the result.

Name:  IMG_2133-1.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  102.0 KB

They do look very good, like the effects on the boats very realistic looking

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    They do look very good, like the effects on the boats very realistic looking
    Hey Marj!! Haven't seen you post for a wile. How is your big going? quimera

Well i have a had a period of not really feeling the urge to paint, so it is not going atm. Have started tomwarm up to painting again and have some paints on the way for the chimera.

But ty for asking, always nice to be missed :-)

Here's a new finished terrain piece.

Name:  IMG_2155-1.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  111.1 KBName:  IMG_2156-1.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  112.0 KB

As you can see, I made some alterations from the White Dwarf and Rule book illustrations. It made more sense to me, if the castle was implanted by magic on the rock, that the difference was plain to see, as a clean cut, between reef stone and continent stone. Also, the inside of the towers are a different stone color/ texture than the outside.

Name:  IMG_2157-1.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  105.2 KB

That looks really cool, Alexis! I like how you changed up the stone between the castle and the rock and the inside and outside. The glowing eyes of the skulls are fantastic! I'm seeing a nice variation in the rock color, and it may be the photos because it's tough to photograph something that big - but keep going with the color variation on the rocks. Add purple, greens, and blues but vary the size and density on each rock. The colors are just a tad too uniform, especially in the first picture, but I can see some subtle changes and it is looking fantastic. I know you said it's finished, so this is just for future reference. The purple would look really great in the deep crevasses. You've started going that direction - take it just a bit further. Nicely done tho - I would have been going nuts painting that much gray on such a large piece. lol!

Looks really good. The roofs are especially good, the shading and highlights bang-on.

Quote Originally Posted by kathrynloch View Post
    That looks really cool, Alexis! I like how you changed up the stone between the castle and the rock and the inside and outside. The glowing eyes of the skulls are fantastic! I'm seeing a nice variation in the rock color, and it may be the photos because it's tough to photograph something that big - but keep going with the color variation on the rocks. Add purple, greens, and blues but vary the size and density on each rock. The colors are just a tad too uniform, especially in the first picture, but I can see some subtle changes and it is looking fantastic. I know you said it's finished, so this is just for future reference. The purple would look really great in the deep crevasses. You've started going that direction - take it just a bit further. Nicely done tho - I would have been going nuts painting that much gray on such a large piece. lol!
    Thanks Kath. Because the box ins't for me, I didn't want to change the color squeme too much, but I'll try that next time I've to paint rocks
    Not that difficult to paint: the minis are rather big and if you use dry brush, is farly quick.

Thank Marj.

Here's another one: the volcano!!

Quite please with the lava pit
    Not shure about the lava flowing from the rock sides...

Name:  IMG_2166-1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  114.8 KBName:  IMG_2167-1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  111.3 KBName:  IMG_2168-1.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  98.7 KB