Magic-Smooth for gap filling?

Thread: Magic-Smooth for gap filling?

Default Magic-Smooth for gap filling?

Does anyone have experience with Magic-Sculpt's viscous cousin for gap filling? One of the tips that came from the supplier advocated it's use for setting mosaic tiles and fountain stones, has anyone used it as a replacement for Zap-a-Gap?

Here is the web store from which I purchased the stuff:
    http://stores.restorersupplies.com/-...FacEQAodo34jrA

We use magic sculpt a lot, and so I was interested in magic smooth and whether it could provide something to our gap/flaw/hole filling need.

After picking some up here's what I can tell you:

-You need a spatula type tool to apply, its very sticky
    -It is good for gap filling smooth surfaces but because you need to apply with a tool its tricky for small areas
    -Its VERY sticky
    -It can be used as a putty glue because of its sticky nature

That's about it! We havent actually used it much, in fact at all, however Im sure we will think about it more in the future. Im sure someone can create another use for the stuff, it is a neat putty.

OK, I've used it to assemble a couple of Cygnar Lancer horses. I think you may have understated how sticky it is!

I used a quartered tongue depressor to mix (on a small piece of wax paper) and apply and a wetted disposable eye makeup applicator to make the initial shaping. I'll check back in tomorrow on how well it worked for me.

It was about the viscosity of 5 minute Z-Poxy without the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Niranth
    Does anyone have experience with Magic-Sculpt's viscous cousin for gap filling?
    Given how MagicSculp itself can be used for this purpose I'm not convinced it provides anything important enough to try it (the reason I haven't bought any yet).

I haven't been able to think of a really good purpose for it that's not covered to one degree or another by something else.

Einion

The good news is that it bonds really well...

It just takes more than a couple hours to do so. Somehow, that the implications of that fact danced right on by. One of the Lancers slipped a bit sometime after I set it down and I cannot break the bond to fix it.

Einion's opinion is sage. I'll try it as a basing adhesive while on the lookout for a better use.

Quote Originally Posted by Niranth
    One of the Lancers slipped a bit sometime after I set it down and I cannot break the bond to fix it.
    Try heating it up and twisting. I use the heat trick regularly with MS, e.g. to remove parts that have been left too long in press-moulds, so if the basic properties of MagicSmooth are similar it should help.

Einion

Einion, that was a brilliant suggestion!

I left it in a cup of hot water for five minutes and it pulled apart easily. Another minute with a pick and all traces were cleaned off the parts. Thank you very much!

Welcome! Glad it worked. It's such a simple little trick I'm surprised it's not more widely known, but I guess most pros aren't using a hairdrier to help speed curing a little bit so they missed the chance to find out by accident that it makes cured MS slightly rubbery*.

*Only temporarily in case it's not obvious.

Einion