Ogre kingdoms - WIP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ogre kingdoms - WIP

Default Ogre kingdoms - WIP

Hi, I am quite new to this forum, I started to paint recently again and decided to start an army. So to introduce my current work and have the best advises I have decided to log my WIP.
    So here it starts, I have already finished one Ogre bull:
    Name:  ogre1.jpg
Views: 14192
Size:  203.6 KB

I have a second one in the pipes, but I have already opened on other thread in painting forum to have some advice on the blade, so I listened and have two type of NMM on the blade, I have started it over and over... so I think I will let it like this for the moment and do it better for the next mini...
    Name:  back.JPG
Views: 2934
Size:  267.5 KBName:  boots.JPG
Views: 2689
Size:  117.9 KB
    Name:  front.JPG
Views: 2831
Size:  246.2 KB

The two blade styles, which one do you prefer? any advices?
    Name:  blade 2.JPG
Views: 3152
Size:  232.0 KBName:  blade.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  99.1 KB

After I have prepared few other mini, one leadbelcher, one standard bearer, one slaughtermaster, and Golgfag maneater:
    Name:  PC248091.JPG
Views: 2721
Size:  199.3 KBName:  PC248092.JPG
Views: 2819
Size:  180.4 KBName:  PC248093.JPG
Views: 3355
Size:  191.8 KBName:  PC248090.JPG
Views: 3405
Size:  163.3 KB

New pictures will come over the week-end.
    Any comments, advices, suggestions, etc.. are more than welcome! Thank you for watching and happy painting!

Colour scheme of first ogre looks really neat! like it the weathering on the gutplate on the second one is just awesome!
    this is gonna be a neat and cool looking army for sure! looking forward following your progress.

oh and on the NMM blade i'd say the first one is better. second one looks a bit flat, maybe push the contrast some more (and maybe introduce a slightly other colour?) just my cent i'm no expert at the nmm stuff... i couldn't pull it off on my try...

Greets Joren.

Thank you JorenBSld, appreciate the feedback, I will follow your advice and continue on the first solution for the blade NMM. Let's see if my technique will improve with more practice! I was thinking to add an other color, but which one? I have added Scorched brown in the chaos black of the blade shadows to add a rusty effect to it... but any blue will look too neat.. why not a green or turquoise? I give it a try on the standard bearer blade....

Merry Xmas!

yeah the brown does look good imo. and just like you said why not give some colours a try green could be really nice and subtle i think, guess you will find out

Merry Xmas indeed!

So I have finished another ogre bull, here the complete picture:
    Name:  ogre 2_edited-1.jpg
Views: 3208
Size:  311.4 KB

I am now working on the leadbelcher, I am on my first try for the NMM bronze for the cannon as you can see it is far to be good! If you have any advice I take all of them right now!
    Name:  PC278135.JPG
Views: 2572
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  PC278134.JPG
Views: 2686
Size:  86.6 KB

The most difficult is to make an NMM on a cylindric surface, Some short blending with main light reflection and ground reflection... It almost look good just with the wash... it would be much easier, any suggestions? Maybe no need a straight forward NMM...

Back with one more finished ogre, my first leadbelcher and a bronze NMM for the cannon.
    Name:  ogre - leadbelcher.jpg
Views: 2689
Size:  292.4 KB

Here some pictures of my current WIP, the standard bearer, the flag is quite interesting to train my blending and freehand skills:
    Name:  P1088174-small.JPG
Views: 2316
Size:  57.6 KB
    Name:  P1088176_-small.jpg
Views: 2308
Size:  58.6 KB
    Name:  P1088177-small.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  38.9 KB
    Name:  P1088178-small.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  39.6 KB

If you have any comment or suggestions for the figurines already painted or the ones to come, don't hesitate!

Your colours have a nice particular tint to them that sets 'm apart. Me likes
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Your colours have a nice particular tint to them that sets 'm apart. Me likes
    Thank you Meph. I try to do each of them a bit special by training my color sense and do this army push me to improve (a lot of figurine to paint)... I have only painted 6 minis so far so I really need to improve, I have read and watch many videos which is helping me to get fast to a basic level but cannot reach higher color schemes set up and special effects with video, only practice will help!

I also like your blood angel veteran, a really nice piece, the weathering is really good and there are no imperfections!

Default Ogre kingdoms WIP with new airbrush

Here my first, ever, try with my new received airbrush, after reading some advices about airbrush I gave it a try on my Mournfang cavalry. I started by priming it with skull white, then a mix of calthan brown and granite, than highlight by adding snakebite leather, then kommando khaki, at the end wash in granite (dark brown). I will continue with my brush for better highlight. You can see that I also try the tusk with airbrush blending, satified with the results, will add some other shadows with brush.

Name:  top 01.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  54.4 KBName:  side 03.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  61.5 KBName:  side 02.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  66.0 KBName:  side 01.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  73.8 KBName:  front 01.jpg
Views: 2232
Size:  59.8 KB

My WIP of Butcher, what do you think about the color scheme? enough shadow? I hesitate... It seems that the finecast is quite terrible, lots of flashed and small holes with an overall rough surface, any advises?
    Name:  front 01.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  75.4 KBName:  back 01.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  76.9 KB

Here the WIP of my standard bearer with the tribe symbol, Mountain breakers Did not find anything better...
    Name:  flag 01.jpg
Views: 2174
Size:  103.5 KBName:  flag 03.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  75.8 KBName:  flag 02.jpg
Views: 2137
Size:  69.2 KB

Any comments welcome!

Hey matey. Am enjoying this thread. All looks good to me so far. The red on the banner is sooooo vibrant, is that a GW blood red or another colour?
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Willdorling View Post
    Hey matey. Am enjoying this thread. All looks good to me so far. The red on the banner is sooooo vibrant, is that a GW blood red or another colour?
    Yes, Blood red base coat, add Adeptus battlegrey for shadow, add golden yellow for highlight. Maybe the shadow are not deep enough. I try to limit the shadow a bit too avoid overall too contrasty mini!

I really like the way you are painting the cannons on the lead belcher. I like how it looks like he just pulled it of a ship or a water fort.
    Last edited by RoderickTheRed; 01-15-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Here one more completed Ogre, the slaughtermaster of my army! I have tried to give special skin tones, with some pink/purple tones for the pierced skin all over his body.
    For the blade I went on NMM covered by fresh blood... I succeeded to make some guts effects from the blade using contact glue and paint over it with red/brown + glossy varnish.

Name:  slaughtermaster_small - w.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  69.1 KB

Comments are welcome! One the way to finish the standard bearer and the first Ironguts (partially painted with new airbrush)!
    Last edited by boubi; 02-27-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Really nice on the slaughtermaster. great work to have the character model with different skin tones as it'll really stand out when you have them all lined up. Your cannon has given me an idea for my thermopriest! Cheers

Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Hi all, pretty disappointed about the results of my last paint job, I am asking some comments and critics about the last mini I have painted. For me, I like the skin tones especially on the back picture, the overall paint job is quite fare and not worst compared to what I have painted before... So my question is what differ so much compared to other mini painted? I have the impression that the finecast of this mini is terrible with rough surface all over which affected the overall look of the mini but I spent so much time on it that I even don't realize it anymore...
    Comments and critics will be more than welcome.

The last mini is the ogre slaughtermaster, you have pictures two post above and here is the link to the gallery:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/298533

Here my last addition to my army, my ogre standard bearer. Use for the first time of wet blending on many small areas!
    You can find in the gallery here:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/299617

Comments are more than welcome! The rest of the army is on its way

Name:  standard bearer_edited-1.jpg
Views: 2155
Size:  380.4 KB

Question Ogre kingdoms - WIP Need some help

Some more work in progress. I need some help to improve the current paint job, even if I spend more time on the paint job I don't have the impression to progress. And it seems confirmed with the recent gallery votes I got on my two last minis. I would like to have some feedbacks on my biggest mistakes according to skilled painters. Is it the color choice? Is it the painting technique itself? Blending problem? not enough contrast? All of it?
    I am a bit lost... Living in China I don't have really good experienced painters to talk to, and learning by itself it makes it even more difficult! The best part of it, is that I still enjoy a lot painting since few months, and building this army is a really nice challenge (I am a slow painter). The previous comments on this forum were really helpful...

After the speech some pictures!

Here Golgfag, is the skin ok? does the cloak ok? I tried to add some reddish color in the midtones?

Name:  P2268625.JPG
Views: 1915
Size:  113.3 KB
    Name:  P2268627.JPG
Views: 1769
Size:  98.6 KB
    Name:  P2268626.JPG
Views: 1815
Size:  106.2 KB

Here my Ironguts, not much progress but the trousers were paint with airbrush then final highlight with brush

Name:  P2268628.JPG
Views: 2207
Size:  110.7 KB
    Name:  P2268629.JPG
Views: 1856
Size:  79.1 KB

Finally the ogre crusher, some wet blending used on small objects, some rust effect added after, I saw a blue spot on red trousers to be removed later on (This huge pictures can show so many details, I should do it more often... It seems to help )

Name:  P2268622.JPG
Views: 1771
Size:  93.4 KB
    Name:  P2268623.JPG
Views: 1762
Size:  89.9 KB
    Name:  P2268624.JPG
Views: 1796
Size:  90.3 KB
    Last edited by boubi; 02-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Blog Entries

I really like your vibrant colours, all the models look great!! All nicely photographed to!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

I'm an ogre fan and i think yours are some of the nicest i've seen , far superior to mine... don't worry too much if your not scoring 9's in the gallery , ogres don't tend to score very high around here i've noticed , think it's more about the models that the paint jobs... aren;t those gnoblars tough to paint btw....

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    I really like your vibrant colours, all the models look great!! All nicely photographed to!

dfb
    Thanks dfb, sometimes I am doubting about the color selection, also have some difficulties for the highlights of the model. I am a photograph amateur since years, I really like it so I try to use this skill for the mini, even if taken in quite bad conditions, I don't put the effort I should. I plan to do it when the army is finished, maybe in 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by philheckler View Post
    I'm an ogre fan and i think yours are some of the nicest i've seen , far superior to mine... don't worry too much if your not scoring 9's in the gallery , ogres don't tend to score very high around here i've noticed , think it's more about the models that the paint jobs... aren;t those gnoblars tough to paint btw....
    Thanks Philheckler, the problem is that previous models where scoring higher, but I really like the last ones which is the most important. But I would really like to know how to reach the next step, where should I improve? so I can practice a bit... Right now I am a bit lost by reaching a kind of step with a big difficulty to go over it!