SarahHawke's Roost -n- Clutter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SarahHawke's Roost -n- Clutter

Default SarahHawke's Roost -n- Clutter

Hey, all.

Have been poking around the site a bit, finally registered and put my first ever (!) miniature up in the gallery. It's here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/294968).

I am brand, brand new to the hobby. Less than a week in, as a matter of fact, and having fun so far. I know I have a -ton- to learn and miles of improvement to go, but we all have to start somewhere, right?

I'm looking forward to improving, so C/C as you see fit, if you see fit.

To kick things off, I painted another one of my skinks. I started him with a base color that was too dark, so really struggled with trying to give him any contrast at all. The more frustrated I get, the more I mess him up, so I think I'm done and I'll try again on a new model, but at least I'm learning. I hope!

Name:  skink2dark-1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  59.8 KBName:  skink2dark-2.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  52.4 KB

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

I voted, and even commented. Welcome to the hobby. I have found it works to start with a mid-range tone, then shade down and highlight up. Then use glazes to tie it all together. Works good for me. May be worth looking into, but either way, good luck.

Thanks for the vote and the response, Chad! Yeah, starting with a mid-range tone is a good plan. I just misjudged what drying would do when I was blending. The more fool I.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahHawke View Post
    I am brand, brand new to the hobby. Less than a week in, as a matter of fact, and having fun so far. I know I have a -ton- to learn and miles of improvement to go, but we all have to start somewhere, right?Name:  skink2dark-1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  59.8 KB
    Helluva start.Personally I think you're onto a winner from the first steps, neat clean brush work that I see is only going to make your learning process quicker.As Chad has suggested working from a mid tone is a good way to paint, getting to grips with using dilute paint layers as glazing into shadows takes time and for best results lots of thin layers instead of one thick one. Highlights in thin tones work well as the gradual build up looks more 'realistic'.You'll get lots of advice from people on here and lots of opinions on how XYorZ should look. All I can suggest is read, listen and decide which you think will work for you.Oh and MOST IMPORTANT of all PAINT TO PLEASE YOURSELF, that way you'll keep enjoying the hobby.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I wouldlook into getting some of citadels washes. Makes shading alot easier.

Other then that i think it looks good for mini nr 1, certainly better then my fist effort all those many years ago.

Welcome to the hobby....sucker !!
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Dragonsreach - Thanks for the response and encouragement! I am definitely keeping the 'paint to please yourself' thing in mind. I'm a bit magpie in nature, so the notion of painting entire armies is somewhat daunting, and yet, a sort of challenge I find myself interested in taking on. If I can avoid my infamous wandering attention.

marjedi - I will take the 'sucker' tag and wear it proudly, because I know I am. I have and am considering the Citadel washes. I tried doing paint washes on my own, and they make a -little- difference, but I think they lack the 'stick' of a 'real' wash, so that may be my next purchase. Along with more paint. Sooo doomed. Thanks for the response!

hey there! as said, solid skink for a first mini. guess we all know what frustration means here lol.
    the washes are great for easily getting a pretty good shading, recomended. keep it up!

For some unknowable reason the second picture makes me think Groucho Marx. "Guess the secret word, and win a hundred dollars."

Other then that; Welcome to the mad house. As you probably figgered out, this place is like the "Hotel California". You can check out but never leave.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Well there is a middle ground between massive gw armies and single miniatures. Check out Warmachine, Hordes, Malifaux and my favorite Infinity. Loads of fantastic minis in those ranges, and you dont need to do hundreds to get a fighting force.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

mud duck - Bwah. Didn't notice that before, but he does look a little like Groucho, with a gold-tipped cigar. XD Thanks for the welcome.

marjedi - True enough, there's a lot of intriguing stuff out there. I'd already been looking at some Warmachines and Malifaux. I do love me some steampunk-y things. Infinity looks interesting too. Thanks!

I do love me some steampunk-y things.
    Well Reaper have a few Steampunk items which are worth a look in the Chronoscope range, Sacha Dubois, Smedley Cloverdash, Mad scientist (all off the top of my head).www.leadadventures.de has a few rather nice SP pieces and around April, West Wind are hoping to get a New Steampunk game out Demo'ing at Salute if luck holds.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 01-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mud duck View Post
    For some unknowable reason the second picture makes me think Groucho Marx.
    It's the "cigar". LOL, NOW CAN'T UNSEE

You're off to a good start, SarahHawke, you can add my vote to the side of "painting single display minis is fun!" That's pretty much all I do, and it avoids the drudgery and space commitment of whole armies or even large squads.

Ahh, the list of companies and models to check out continues to grow. Must control the magpie. XD Thanks for pointers, Dragonsreach.

And No Such Agency - thanks for the response! I am more and more tempted by the idea of singles, and yet working through a squad is having its own rewards. Little bits of improvement here and there.

Like this guy. Picture taking is the next thing I need to work on, but, I am practicing blending/shading. Though it doesn't show up much here, there are some subtle highs and lows that I'm very happy with.Name:  skink3base.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  74.7 KB

The trick of the thing is to paint a squad/platoon/regiment then a hero or leader type. Gets the army done and uniform, but doesn't burn one out. Oh, and DON'T try to convert half a freeking horde army, that way leads to madness! Yeah it's fun and makes an army unique, only if you ever finish!
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

mud duck: I think that, at least, is the best way to keep my sanity, yep. Little squad, bigger model, little squad...

'nother picture, just because it amuses me. Three down, bazillions to go!

Name:  attaaack!.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  95.5 KB
    -- Sarah
    Nowhere to go but up!

Three down, bazillions to go!
    Well I wasn't going to say anything.

You are batch painting these guy right? Oh, and "Groucho" looks to have a mold line on the outside of his 'cigar' hand. But I won't say anything if you don't.

Still learning! So, er. No, I'm not batch painting them, because that would be efficient and sort of look like I knew what I was doing. I'm also not worrying about making them all look the same, so ... same answer. Nope, I'm not.

(And yes, that's a m-o-l-d line. I'm trying to be better about them. Shh, our secret.)
    -- Sarah
    Nowhere to go but up!

You don't know want your doing? Coulda fooled me. A quick couple of washes, I find experimenting in this area fun, and you have a nice table top standard troop

Just a couple more shots as I paint my way through the skink horde. Progress is progress.

Name:  first5.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  177.5 KB
    Name:  skink4.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  121.7 KB <-- my personal favorite so far

Name:  skink5.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  101.2 KB

(A couple of these are up for votes:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/295751
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/295752)
    -- Sarah
    Nowhere to go but up!

That's a nice vibrant blue you've got going on there. And somehow that seaweed-like base suits 'm nicely as well.

Onwards and upwards!
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob