Quiarcus's WiP

Thread: Quiarcus's WiP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Quiarcus's WiP

Well, after being a long term lurker I thought it was finally time to start a WIP thread on this new fangled internets. Been painting for quite a while but took a very long sabatical due to moving countries (as you do) but was very pleasantly suprised on christmas day with a bevy of miniatures. So, first up Archaon the Everchosen. Where to start? The fantastic detail of this new finecast stuff? Maybe. Though perhaps it would be better to start with the massive gaps and airbubbles that seemed to be present in this. Spent about 2 - 3 hours cleaning the mini up (getting rid of flash, mould lines etc.) and filling in holes with green stuff.

Name:  archaon010212x1.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  399.4 KB

So anyway, in all seriousness, this finecast stuff is pretty good, better than the old metals in my estimation - I hope that they sort out the casting issues but the experience certainly wouldn't put me off getting another.

Anyway, after priming and undercoating I decided I'd go for the whole pale horse aspect rather than the official colours and would also take a stab at NMM (tested on his gauntlet, not so sure of the effect atm).

Name:  archaon010212.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  593.9 KB

Anyway, ramble at an end for now, I'll upload some more photos probably tomorrow, though work keeps me pretty busy (doesn't it everyone?).

Oh, and Happy New Year to all!

Made a bit of progress today, mainly trying to improve my NMM skills. Have to say not terribly happy with the results so far:

Name:  archaon010312x1.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  380.2 KB

Any advice would be appreciated at this point, though I feel it's lacking contrast. Would people agree with that assumption and if so any advice about rectifying without repainting the whole thing from scratch?

Also painted the blade of the sword - wanted to do something a little different with it and I think it's turned out okay:

Name:  archaon010312x2.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  303.8 KB

Still lots to do, but am enjoying the model on the whole.

As always C&C welcome.

Looks nice already. I like the sword, could we get some better views?
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    i prefer to get two miniatures and rub them around on my gaming bobos.
    Totally going for #1 -->

the nmm is looking great, but a bit dull. depth is ok, but i would add other colours, or try and make some of the plate parts darker, esp the lower ones. i rather enjoy using astronomican grey as my highlighting colour, makes the steel areas less dull and greyish. is the helm supposed to look goldish? it looks a bit bonish, which isnt bad, but i´m not sure that´s what you´re going for?

Thanks for the replies both. I wasn't terribly happy with the NMM as it stood, and yeah, I was going for a gold effect but ended up with bone - I think the highlights were too broad. Anyway, had a chance to rework them both a little today, but as I had to work I missed the best light and had to settle for my dodgy spot lamp (really need to get a better one, just a matter of convincing the missus to allow me to get an artificial star of some kind...).

What do you think?

Name:  archaon040112x2.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  300.5 KB

@A luna:

I've tried to get a better shot of the sword, but between the aforementioned lamp and the lack of a macro lense i'm not sure if this is really any better than the previous shot:

Name:  archaon040112x1.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  331.0 KB

I was going for a sort of souls/spirits running along the blade kind of effect, thought it would be a little different.

Anyway, comments and suggestions always welcome!

EDIT: Oh god, I've just noticed a bevy of mould lines that I somehow missed, swear they're not that noticeable in real life. Hmmm, to tidy or not to tidy?
    Last edited by Quiarcus; 01-04-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Revelation

Looks great man, I like the style and colouring. Maybe the lightning bolts can use some harsher fine highlights here and there, but not much.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob