Page 1 of 250 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 balls WIP

Default 10 balls WIP

First WIP, thought I would post because Ive feel i'm making a bit of progress with this dark elf. The face was done with dheneb stone with washes
    of purple and highlighted up with skull white. The amour was done the standard way with metallics.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 14195
Size:  100.4 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 14386
Size:  319.6 KBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 14287
Size:  206.4 KB
    The reason for posting is first the sword - my first ever attempt at NMM - using codex grey, black and white - im pleased with the effect but would
    like some comments with unbiased eyes :-)

and second - first ever time using a wet pallet. Loved it, found it much easier with blending (as the colours didn't keep drying out). I would say to
    beginners to give this a try, I will be using it from now on.

Cheers
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

this is seriously looking good. I love the flesh you have created and the NMM looks good also. Does your wet pallet have a sheet on top of the paper towels or just paper towels?

Just a few layers of paper towels
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

Try some baking paper on top, that will help a lot.

Hi 10 Ball, my wet pallette used to look a lot like yours. Now it's upside down though. I found reaching into the tub a pain in the backside so put the sponge & baking paper on the inside of the lid & drop the tub onto it as a cover whenever I'm not using it. Definitely buy the baking parchment, you're only half way through discovering how well it can all work at the moment!

Nice, solid colour choices on the DE, looking very dramatic

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Cheers both for the advice - this is whats great
    about CMON these kind of tips save alot of time.

@ Milosh - I've got the paper today, cheers

@ B - your dam right about the tub, will do what
    you suggest :-)
    Last edited by 10 ball; 01-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    "
    . Andyg

The NMM is working nice so far. Maybe push the highlights on the tip and deeper shadow on the darker side near the guard (hilt?). The light stroke could be z shaped by lighting a bit along the edges, always works well

Hi, little more done. Added some more highlights as suggested by GreenOne, then some blues and browns (very thin washes) to the amour and blade.
    Oh and some purple to the gold :-)

Name:  lii.jpg
Views: 14146
Size:  222.1 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 13961
Size:  98.5 KB
    Last edited by 10 ball; 01-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    "
    . Andyg

nice work. i like the nmm blade alot!

tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Hey, looking good so far. Would love to see some clearer photos, so much glare coming off of them it's hard to critique.

Shakes

Blog Entries

oh yeah, that is looking really nice. Starting to get some nice contrast going.

A bit more progress, changed the true metallics on the body to NMM and highlighted hair and face. also started a Dark Eldar Wyche in mush the same style. Wet pallet working better now following the tip suggested :-)

Name:  elf.jpg
Views: 14580
Size:  418.5 KB
    Name:  Dark Eldar Wyches 2.jpg
Views: 16417
Size:  305.1 KB
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

looking great. Put a high highlite on his quilted armor (each quilt) and you will be cooking with gas.

Looking good 10-Ball, your NMM has developed very nicely. Take care with the high contrast on other areas so that you maintain difference in texture/surface. The guy's hair and metal are already very close. Further highlights on the red would be nice but I do like it as leather, rather than suggesting metal which it could develop into.

Pics are improving, keep at it, by time they're ready for the Gallery you want photos to do them justice

Tummy button on that eldar woman looks like she's been attacked with an auger! I couldn't be arsed to fill it myself but paint that doesn't draw too much attention (that highlight on the lower rim) might be worth considering.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Cheers Milosh, BPI I agree about the red but im struggling with the right colour for the highlight - what you reckon? (don't want to make in to orange or pink!)

as for the photos.... well thats as good as it gets from me :-)
    "
    . Andyg

Trick that I think both Wyrmypops and Mattsterbenz have covered is to not worry about orange/pink. Highlight it up and then it's the final glaze over that will set the colour. I like inks for glazing as it's easier to control than paint but the three GW reds should give enough variation to try them out. Have you got a spare mini in scale or quilted armour so that you can run a quick test? Highlight one row of segments up with yellow and another with beige then try glazing vertically with each of the three reds so that you can compare the final effect.

If that sounds like too much fannying about? I'd use Rotting Flesh to highlight, glaze with W&N Deep Red ink. Wouldn't bother highlighting to a white dot as I think it would suggest metal (particularly sat next to NMM).

Cheers, B.

EDIT: occurs to me that the GW Dark Flesh would be worth considering for the glaze too
    Last edited by BPI; 01-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Followed your advice B with the tests - and used rotten flesh as you suggested in the end. Really pleased esp. with NMM as this is my first bash at it.
    I dont know about you lot but I always get about 3/4 way through a mini and get the calling to get on with another.

Will finish dark eldar next :-)

Cheers all.

Name:  final.jpg
Views: 13977
Size:  487.7 KB
    "
    . Andyg

your stuff has vastly improved since you first posted HIGH FIVE

He's come out very nicely 10 Ball, well done

I put your last picture through GIMP and used the auto-level, I think it came out a bit clearer and would be worth a try before submitting to the gallery.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Well, gave it a go B - it came out sharper but dont know if it did it justice, what you reckon?

Name:  lee1.jpg
Views: 13695
Size:  365.4 KB

the pict on right has been GIMPed :-)
    "
    . Andyg