10 balls WIP - Page 39
Page 39 of 274 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 balls WIP

Cheers for the comments
    Andy - maybe a squad of classic termys in the future.

While im waiting for some basing stuff in the post Ive been experimenting with some cracking medium.

First test, spider - way to much effect (did not help there was no undercoat on the paint pot)

second test - no real effect but just looked like to thick paint.

third test, greek shield - happy with this (hard to photo) but looks rather cool, but I should of just applied it to the black rams head instead of all over.

Thoughts?

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 648
Size:  330.8 KB

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  176.3 KB
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

The freehand on the top two photos are probably the best I have seen on CMoN, better than Skells, even!

Some really great stuff you are doing, 10. I think this crackle stuff causes a bit of fog over the black. It may just be the photo. Can it be watered down?

yep, I watered in down loads just be safe. Is has a shine so the photo is a bit naff.
    I still in two minds if ive made the shield look old and worn or if ive just ruined my freehand work!?!
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

How are you applying it? Used as a base, mixed with all paints used, mixed with base coat and then paint as normal? I bought som of Vallejo's crackle for a future, future, future project

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    yep, I watered in down loads just be safe. Is has a shine so the photo is a bit naff.
    I still in two minds if ive made the shield look old and worn or if ive just ruined my freehand work!?!
    In all honesty I would have just freehanded the cracks. I think it would have been better for the ovrall look. But that is just my opinion. But there are others who are more experienced with it that have had great success. So really I am no help at all.

I just painted the shield as normal then applied as thin coat of the crackle medium.
    It causes fine lines & cracks all over. The photo don't show them very well.
    "
    . Andyg

That seems to always be the case, the photos never do anything justice, that is why I really don't have much to offer on this shield. I do like the goatiness of the design, I forgot to mention that.

Well this little mini I got free from Salute wont be one of my best but there is something driving me to paint him.

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  404.8 KB
    "
    . Andyg

That shield looks really good at scale.

I like the effect. Probably not as realistic as you wanted it, but I like it. I only would wash the white part of the shield with a buff colour to make the cracks more visible and by that way, softening the effect on the black symbol.

perhaps a bit off center the image on the shield are? *speaking yoda* nice job so far!

Hello matey. Credit for trying new techniques. The cracking medium looks interesting and I am sure something that can be perfected over use. The shield does look great though and it must be quite nice to use the medium rather than paining all the cracks in by hand.

I must say you are super productive at the moment. I liken you to Japanese car manufacturing.....very high quality but freaking quick with it! Makes me feel like a guy building a kit car in his garage at home with the hope of one day rolling his nearly finished motor out the garage LOL!

Keep it up sir.
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Thanks all

Will - yes but kit cars are coooooooooooooooool, Japanese cars are not so.
    "
    . Andyg

japanese cars are not so cool??....impreza, lancer evo, NSX, GTO 3000, Skyline, Figaro not to mention the modding scene. Whats more (and this pains me as a TVR fan) they are not prone to breakdown.

My analogy was purely from a speed and quality consistance angle. I am not likening your work to the nissan micra or honda civic (although) the Type R civic is pretty cool ;-)

Great work as ever amigo.
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

LOL. Ive always liked the micra, rather have a NSX though

Yes TVR's break down but that's the part of the experience !
    "
    . Andyg

Okay, after seeing the mini and shield together, I think the crackle medium works great. And I agree that you are really putting out some great work very quickly, well done.

Thanks all
    Nearly finished the termy captain, just working on the base.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 486
Size:  168.7 KBName:  photo.JPG
Views: 488
Size:  184.1 KB
    Last edited by 10 ball; 05-02-2013 at 03:54 AM.
    "
    . Andyg

Looks like another fail with the dreaded water effect resin. 3 days and counting and still not set, I havent added enough hardener so might have to rethink the termy base.
    Started this Ork last night, think ive gone a bit dark with the shadows so will give him a wash of basecoat to lighten things up a bit.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  209.2 KBName:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  127.7 KB
    Last edited by 10 ball; 05-03-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    "
    . Andyg

I would keep him as is. He looks great!
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

I'm with mar - the contrast is high, but not jarring. I like the touch of color on the ears and lip.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.