10 balls WIP - Page 5
Page 5 of 275 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 balls WIP

Taking giant steps there 10ball

I like the nmm, be careful with the extreme highlights, the lighter you get, the more easy it is to leave strokes, progress real slowly, with smaller gaps in tones and less paint on the brush towards the end.
    It's also a good idea to really file down the edge in preparation stage, as if you were actually sharpening a blade, even a little roundness on the edge can really mess up the effect.

Great hair and skintones on that dude too.

GreenOne- You are dead right about the edges this mini is flawed because its a repaint and the prep on the mini has been somewhat 'overlooked'
    I need to start getting more serious in preparation, it really does make a difference (paint shows every mark!).

A day off work today so got some good blending practice in.

Name:  lee.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  283.0 KB

also this masterpiece is my first ever mini, a ork from Heroquest when I was about 8.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1113
Size:  183.4 KB
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Well started the NMM gold, and well frankly I'm not pleased. Maybe I'm aiming to high for my first time but i just carnt get the quality I want
    Its all about practice I suppose, what do you clever painters think? (legs are just base coat, Ive been focusing on the top)

Yours not happily 10 ball

Name:  help.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  196.3 KB
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Contrast!!! Needs to go from black through the gold colours to white also horizon line on all the musculature. Think a bit like a horizon everything below is dark but graduated darkest (black) to a darkish snakebite leather right at the bottom to indicate some reflected ground light. Then everything above is light. Lightest closest to the horizon (white) upto light snakebite leather mixed with bleached bone then give the whole lot a light glaze of yellow then glints think jewels so glints go on the dark bits and follow the curvature of the metal. Have a look at tommie soules varghar the metal on that is spot on. Now the good news is what you've done is spot on but it needs more work on it that's all. Also remember the darkest bits are always closest to the lightest bits. Hope this helps and I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs and of course there are people out there far far far better than me.

P.s. the shoulder guard is simply sublime don't know what your moaning about. Also sorry about the above I come across as a total know it all not meant that way
    Last edited by AndyG; 02-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

mostly, what the know it all said. The pure white is an important part of successfull nmm, the trick is to build up to it in a really small area without letting it mark.
    No one said it was easy, lol.
    Working well so far, just need that much more contrast.

Thanks for the tips, I've been messing with the contrast using
    dark flesh and purple washes. I'll have to say it's not relaxing
    paint, I'm holding on to it like a mad man
    Mayer I've started NMM on a too ambitious mini.
    It taken about 5 hours so far.
    Looking at it again its not so bad I suppose - trying to run
    before I can walk and all that
    "
    . Andyg

Sod walking run run run. Who wants to stay 6 and 7 all the time it's 8 and 9 were after eh? Purples good and blinking heck that stupid bloody sword on Aenur took me about three nights to do and you've got a much bigger surface area with far more detail so stay in it for the long hall. Also thinking of changing avatar name to know it all AndyG
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=

Look at my sanguinor in gallery for a more 1st timesque NMM paint job. This is good, your blending is nice. NMM seems to just come together with the last couple of brush strokes. It can leave you feeling pretty bummed out up to that point and I am only on NMM mini no 3! You're well on the way to a good paint job here. Stay ambitious and finish it off. Good luck.

Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

5 hours!
    Man, a this stage I would have wasted a good 80 hours on him, lol.
    Then again, I'm a very slow painter...

Blog Entries

He is looking excellent, just a little more work is all. The blue loin cloth is impressive.

How's the ever so easy gold nmm getting on?
    Here be my ranking=

Still working on it mate, taking my time
    "
    . Andyg

looking dang fine to me. I'm in no position to give advice on NMM, having tried it once and gotten fed up with it halfway through the mini, so all I can say is keep at it - I'm already jealous of the effect you've managed. If you improve it much more you'll be threatening a 9+ with this chap once he's done, see if I'm wrong

ps - big up nuff respec' to the heroquest posse! That's how I got started, too
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Thanks all for your comments, they do really give me that push

Latest update, much much happier with the progress. Not finished yet but nearly there. Blending still a bit dodgy in places and the clever ones among you will say
    the light reflexions are in the wrong places but hey! its progress

Andy - I'm going with the shield mate.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 983
Size:  434.8 KB
    "
    . Andyg

excellent progress man, sure looks like gold

Now you see perservere and it's gold! Lookin bang on! Is this what your second third attempt at nmm? If it is then I think it's fairly obvious you have a flair for it. Right back slapping aside possibly it needs as you say a little smoothing of the transitions between dark and light on the shoulder guard. Hmm the muscle bits look great but possibly take the gradient and push it a tad more and make it darker? Then maybe on the dark bits a glint of white?

Yeah the shield on this bad boy is a beauty go to town on it!

Unless the other one is amazing I'd consider entering this one tap nose nod nod wink wink you know what I'm talking about
    Here be my ranking=

Blog Entries

Yeah, this guy is looking great. I almost think the blonde hair melds too much with the armor but that is just personal taste. That blue is absolutley a beauty.

Thanks GreenOne, it does look a bit more like gold

Andy, yep was thinking about that as a back up plan if other projects fail. As for the gold I will tweak it a bit but will finish a few bits off and shield then base him up. (can not stay on one mini too long)

Milosh - I was thinking the same. Thats why I started with the red hair. It started red and went BLONDE - all by itself

Yours happier

10 ball
    "
    . Andyg

Yep you can't spend forever on one mini but be careful not to rush the last few bits cos if there's any justice in the voting (yeah right!) this is a cinch for a high 8 overall when all the votes are in.
    Here be my ranking=

I don't really like this mini...
    there's something about is face that I don't like.
    But the paint work...
    WOWWW
    It is great!
    Sword, hair, armour...
    just great!
    - - -
    Since GW has decreed that the Stormraven's cockpit opens and the pilot climbs in, it is now Gospel. As it is written, so shall it be done!