Page 3 of 255 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 balls WIP

Echo what been said by Andy, it's all too common to shade red with black\brown and rarely comes out well ( Of course there are exeptions.). I would add a bit tho, It's good to also alternate between cold\warm colors inside a gradient. For instance for the red I would go for instance red\green, red\green\charred brown, charred brown\purple (Or night blue), purple\black, black. It can vary depending on desired result of course, once the concept is understood almost any color can be used.
    Same for lighting, one could use red, oranges, light greens, or even blues. I especially like using fleshtones (like bronzed skin or dwarf skin.) for lighting reds. It's all in the mixes

Thanks Greenone, will try these different mixes out

Been messing on and off with this plague marine, just been doing a bit on the armor here and there. Ive found that I can not conform to the usual set way of base colours, then shading, highlights etc, etc.

My style is more messy - do the face, then some of the body, then back to the face. Big problem with this is matching colours back up after a few days away from the mini Its called the 'impatient style' and it will make me famous someday

Trying for a cartoon look with this one, hence the black outlines everywhere.

Name:  marine.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  153.7 KB
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Oh, those are some lovely highlights & shading indeed. Suits the model quite nicely.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

That is sweet! Love that figure even though I never do Sci Fi figures that one has almost made me change and do it! Colour choice is great your definately improving on every post.

If I may offer a couple of sugestions please dont think Im critising for the sake of it just want you to max out you know.

1. Brush stokes are still there you need to REALY thin down the paint and add a retarder; valejo slow dri is great. Then paint control is needed with such a watery mix dab off most of the paint on to a dry towel.

2. Contrast in my opinion, and I know people may disagree, is king. I normaly write down what paints Im going to use and then make sure that there at least ten different transitions. So like this: Chaos black/Catachan green.... Catachan green...Catachan green/Knarloc green....Knarloc green...Knarloc green/ Camo green....camo green....Camo green/bleached bone....Bleached bone.....bleached bone/ skull white....skull white. (also sometimes mix in the occasional colour into the shades and highlites from the surrounding surfaces colours harmony and all that but just a tad dont over do it).

3. The dirty water technique between layers realy helps and Milosh filtering realy help smooth it out.

Hope this helps but please dont think Im nastily critising as that figure is looking especialy good and I cant wait to see it finished

P.S. Im the same I dont follow the normal base then shadows then highlites I always start of shadows -base-highlites. Its the GW schooling. Its like I know its bad but I cant help myself Also I tend to 'dress' my mini inside out you know. So bones organs if you can see them Skin -hair -eyes -teeth -claws -clothes -armour -weapons -jewels -base
    Last edited by AndyG; 02-06-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Yes this does help, one of my biggest problems
    as I said is my unorganised way of painting.
    As always I listen to all of you advice and
    will try to incorporate it

def. need to put less paint on brush as you say
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

i love the conversion! classic pose and classic look=) i would probs use some less expected colours tho, pinks, purples and bright reds would look killer!

Messy painter he? Welcome to the club! Some of the best out there are part of the messy club so it's not necessarily a bad thing
    I get a phase on almost all my minis where I say " Arrrgh! this is hopeless, it'll never be right." seem to come out okay tho, I think.

Nice color on that armor, and sweet blending too, it really looks like a big step forward to me.

Had to tell you this, wife looks at above marine last night and says "yep, yep, [nodding] you're getting better by the day...... the snow on the spear thing looks great !?!

oh well, does anybody want some brushes?
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

She has a keen eye, that is some of the best snow on a spear thing I have ever seen!

One better than my wife's usual response........."nice, what exactly am I looking at here???"
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

lol, at least she's looking.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Wink

Yeah mine goes yes dear very nice dear. Uh they all look the same to me saying this she's looking at a lumpy metal Orc from years ago slapped in green enamel paint and then at the figure I pain ted last week and spent days painstakingly layering aghhhhhhhhhh! Grind teeth grind teeth deep breath calm down lol
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    lol, at least she's looking.
    No kidding. Mine just gives me the stink eye and says why did you buy another mini and how much did THAT cost?

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

did some skin on the eldar last night. Going for a very pale blueish tone.

Wet pallet working well but drys out quick - the damp doesnt seem to get through the baking paper? Any ideas?

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 1285
Size:  391.1 KB

did a bit on the marine also, but the photo looks the bloody same (this ones going to take some time to get right)

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1289
Size:  235.3 KB
    Last edited by 10 ball; 02-10-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    "
    . Andyg

Looking good 10Ball. I really like the Nurgle guy and the DE flesh and metal is looking sweet.

On the wet pallette thing. How high do you have you water? I use a sponge (not paper towel) under mine and have the water pretty much sitting so its just about level with the top of the sponge. If you dont have enough water it will dry out. The paper may be an issue. My first wet pallette was the Privateer Press one and their paper was rubbish. I buy a name brand baking paper to use now (currently its Glad not sure if you have them where you are) and it works great. Cheaper stuff was no good.

Blog Entries

Looking really nice. Make sure you aren't using wax paper, it is a common mistake. If it's not wax, try putting the paper into the water then flipping it over so you have a little water on top. This will help it soak through. It could be as Stew says and not enough water.

Hi tenball pm me your adress and you can have my old wet pallet and wet pallet paper sheets got two one a present I never use it works just fine just sitting there gathering dust at least someone gets to use it.
    Here be my ranking=

You are a gentleman sir.

Pm you
    "
    . Andyg

Bit more more on the eldar, not much to say on this.

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1220
Size:  206.4 KB

and started the face on this evil fella, who's name escapes me. It came out just as I wanted - with a evil, smug grin

Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 1218
Size:  407.3 KB

hair is a base coat and blade needs better blending - will repaint. - also just a note ive added bit of hair with green stuff on both minis - adds to the effect I think.

Might change hair to blonde????
    Last edited by 10 ball; 02-13-2012 at 05:31 AM.
    "
    . Andyg

Quote Originally Posted by Willdorling View Post
    One better than my wife's usual response........."nice, what exactly am I looking at here???"
    So many opportunities to be naughty.

Mine's actually got a very good eye for looking at mini's an picks out bit's that need improving, OK sometimes that's the whole mini.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.