I've come for the gold WIP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've come for the gold WIP

Blog Entries

Default I've come for the gold WIP

This is the really cool figure from Nocturna that I ordered from CMON. The title is intended to play off another figure I did from Andrea that I titled "You've come for me gold?". It can be seen here http://www.coolminiornot.com/289400 I have to say the quality of the casting is better than ones I have received directly from Nocturna. I have the skin sketched in and will start refining later on. I'm also starting to block in here clothes. Here she is built and on the base I built with Aves putty and some spare parts from other kits.

Name:  rare1.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  50.3 KBName:  rare2.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  160.2 KB
    Last edited by Milosh; 01-16-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: fixed the link.

The only thing that i do not like about this so far is that it looks like she has some serious mustache action going on lol, other than that its a lovely model and i like where you're headed.

lol yep the top lip needs lightening up, looking great as usual - where do find the time??
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

It's a really nice (and tempting) model.
    But the skin tone difference between face and body is marked, the face is much darker than the body and without the same colour.
    Can I also suggest that you take a very thin glaze of the mid skin tone and smooth out the body transitions.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Cool

Goody more stuff to drool over, the painting technique I mean.....honest! Seriously though good to see you post a new project.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    It's a really nice (and tempting) model.
    But the skin tone difference between face and body is marked, the face is much darker than the body and without the same colour.
    Can I also suggest that you take a very thin glaze of the mid skin tone and smooth out the body transitions.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and checking her out. Dragonsearch, she is just sketched in (rough draft) right now. I like to get the big parts roughed in before I do any finishing painting, so she will look ugly for a few days more. Thanks again, I'll try and get some more work done on her tonight after work and post up pictures. Thanks again for the feedback!

Blog Entries

Default a liitle more paint

I managed to put a little more paint on her tonight between watching the Australian open and messing with the dogs. I sketched a little on her skirt thing to make sure I like the color and smoothed a little on the skin. Still a ways to go on her face but she no longer has a stache on the upper lip Here is tonights progress. Thanks for checking her out.

Name:  rare3.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  76.2 KB

I really like the skin and the blue is turning out lovely as well. Getting a little ahead here but will the base get some static grass?

Cheers!

I know I said this before but you've got to do a SBS tutorial and post it on the articles.

Say do another couple of WIPs and collage them together; talk about ratios and all the different techniques etc. And definately go into the basing; I'm sure it would go down a storm.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Looking pretty sweet!! Like the setting and its certainly building to something very cool!

Blog Entries

Thanks guys for following along, it's kinda like having a workout partner that motivates you to keep going. @Delta, I'm probably going to put some grass clumps on the base near the trees then paint them to blend with the base. @Andy, that is a good idea for the tutorial, and I sure appreciate that you would like to see one. I'll work on something with my next project which is the war horse tribute. This project will have massive amounts of basework. @Danny, thank you sir. I'll get some more paint on her tonight and we'll see how she looks.

Thanks again!

Wonderful! She looks great now and the skin has really come together. Hurray for no more Tom Selleck What direction are you heading for the cloak? I really like everything youve done so far, especially the color choices you've made.

Looking good so far, the blue and green fabric are superb. Only thing bothering me is the face ( Which is so important.). Might be the sculpt but I think the problems resides in excessive contrast, which makes it look angulous whereas a female face is normally smoother; top of the cheek bone (or whatever it's called) is the most prominent example, too white on too large a surface and the recess around the mouth goes too dark.
    Just my opinion tho.

Blog Entries

Thanks Elric and Green. I'm not sure where I am heading on the cape but I know I'm changing her top and panties to a velvety red and the gloves will be the same. Green, this sculpt has a very weird face it is very narrow and long, it is difficult to create the volume I want in her cheeks with paint. But that is all I have to create it with. I love the figure I just wish she had a "fatter" face. I'm still not done with the face and am gonna work tonight on her and the red velvet parts. Hopefully post some new pics at the end of the session.

Blog Entries

got a little more done tonight even though it doesn't look like much. I like the change to red and the velvet feel of it. I also added some highlites to her face to create the volume she needs rather than more shadows. Not sure yet what to do about the cape but we will see how she goes over the next couple of days. I'm having fun painting her I just hope you enjoy watching her progress.

Name:  rare5.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  54.8 KB

Blog Entries

Man that last picture was grainy, I don't know what happened to it. Here's is a little better one.

Name:  freya6.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  118.9 KB

Love the red, it goes well with the rest of the mini esp. the hair.
    Not sure if it's the photo but around the mouth looks too pale, what do you
    think?
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ball View Post
    Love the red, it goes well with the rest of the mini esp. the hair.
    Not sure if it's the photo but around the mouth looks too pale, what do you
    think?
    That very well could be the case about around the mouth. She has a difficult face and a lot of volume has to be created with the paints to fill her out some. I'm still tweaking on her, but I have to admit she has me puzzled. I'll be back at the bench in a couple of hours to work on her some more. 10 ball, I sincerley appreciate you giving feedback, it is so important to have multiple sets of eyes on your painting.

I like that red, nice colour tone.

I think the most important part of this miniature is the face, and becouse of that you should focus on it. What I see is very drastic transition betwen shadow tones and highlighting. You should make very smooth transitions betwen lights and shadows and, this is important, try not to force the shadows very much(that will make her looks like a transvestite).

I write this to help you, I hope it doesn't bother you.

greetings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seyerlerver View Post
    I write this to help you, I hope it doesn't bother you.

greetings.
    It does not bother me at all but just the opposite. I am clearly having trouble with her face at the moment and need to work through it and suggestions like yours help tremendously. I think I am seeing the problem, her highlites on the cheek need to be blended down further on the face. Here is a picture of the boxart face. I usually love painting faces but this one has got me going in circles. Maybe because she is on the smaller side of a 54mm figure. I'll work through it with the help of suggestions like I am getting. Thanks for taking the time to help me with her.

Name:  freya boxart.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  5.5 KB
    Last edited by Milosh; 01-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.