Water, oh that primal source!

Thread: Water, oh that primal source!

Newbie, please be gentle Minilangelo's Avatar

Default Water, oh that primal source!

Being fed up with my patchy paintwork and having attained the steady hand for detail paintwork, I think its time to start with watered-down coulors to achive that seemless transition between shade and highlight, so any pointers?
    /Cheers Minilangelo

Add the water and the paint together, maybe add a little flow improver but you shouldn't need much
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

The more you water the paints down, the less you should also have in your brush when you paint. You don't want it to flow out of control.
    Wipe much of the paint out of the brush. It won't be like drybrushing because the watered paint keeps the brush wet, even with almost nothing in it.
    Latest endeavour: OSL Wyrd Pere Ravage

Practicing human skin and faces - Summer - Almira
    Space Hulk OSL Diorama
    OSL AoW Orc Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Minilangelo
    ...so any pointers?
    At the most basic, don't have too much paint in the brush: think damp, not wet.

There's lots more info in past threads (have a look in the sticky thread to get you started) if you look for layering, transitions and maybe blending. Get back to us if you need anything clarified or want to get more detail on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Minilangelo

Einion

Thanks for the pointers, damp sounds like a good advice. Maby I posted the question a bit clumsy. What I was asking is basically what Einion answered, more about the process of painting with watered-down coulors and not how to mix the coulors with water in itself.

So once again, thanks for the rapido answers /Minilangelo

OK, apart from having little paint in your brush, watch where you're dragging the paint when you're painting.
    You'll leave the most paint where you pick the brush up, so drag it towards where you want this color to be strongest (towards edges when highlighting and towards recesses when shading). Also make sure the paint isn't fowing out to the sides of the brush, leaving the strongest color at the edges of the brush stroke but weaker where the brush actually travelled. I find this easier to control when dragging the brush sideways or diagonally, rather than parallel with the handle.
    Latest endeavour: OSL Wyrd Pere Ravage

Practicing human skin and faces - Summer - Almira
    Space Hulk OSL Diorama
    OSL AoW Orc Shaman

Sound logic advice, much apriciated

Thanks /Minilangelo
    Reality is only a private, subjective recreation upon the "real" objective reality, so if I say something is real to me you can't say I'm wrong nor never assume I'm right. My reality is my own, and can never be yours, the same goes with your reality... so what will you do with your reality?