Modular Gaming Table and blog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modular Gaming Table and blog

Default Kickstarter: Modular Gaming Table

Dear reader(s),

I started the year with a new wargaming blog called Realms of Miniatures.

I already posted some work I did on a Modular Gaming Table and planning to do a lot more in the future. I hope you enjoy reading it.

Below some pictures to get you interested

Kind regards,
    Dreamfish

Last edited by Dreamfish; 04-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Very nice. Did you machine all the legs and cross members from bar stock, or can these pieces be purchased ready-made from DIY home improvement stores?

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Dude... is that the same frame you use for gaming ànd storage? If so... wow....wow...wow...
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

That's right, the same frame can be used for gaming and storage. This blog post shows the construction of the table.

The whole table is handmade from two types of aluminium bars. 150x150mm and 200x200mm bars. These are welded together at various points. The whole structure is pretty simple actually. The difficulty lies in the tools needed to work with the material and the precision needed to make it work. Up to a precision of 2/10 of a mm to be exact. The table also underwent a Powder coating. Which makes the paint very durable and neat.

The connection bars use a simple but effective ball locking mechanism to hold the frames together. As the image below shows, the whole mechanism exists out of two parts.

This makes it very easy to (un)lock the frames. It takes about 15 minutes to construct the 4x3 table configuration.
    Last edited by Dreamfish; 05-05-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Good stuff man, brilliant idea and execution.
    Somehow I see this evolving into a MkII that's completely foldable, and a MkIII that folds itself at the push oh a button.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

That's pretty damn special
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Dream fish i came across your post after contemplating building my own modular table out of wood but after seeing yours i like the idea of an aluminum table much better so i was wondering if your could pass on some of your notes for this project 2 things namely the process of powder coating and 2nd your metal supplier and his prices

@papagrif: Hi, I'm glad to hear you're inspired by the idea and are considering making one of your own? The process of the Powder Coating is explained at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating. You have to look in your local area for companies that provide this kind of service. I don't know of any companies that do this for individuals and for a reasonable price. I was able to do it through the company I work. As for the materials, again, you should check your local resellers. This shouldn't be so hard to get. I've used two kinds of aluminium tubes, 200mm and 150mm, both having a thickness of 2mm. The aluminium is pretty cheap, I spend less than 100,- euro on aluminium for the whole table.

Of course, having the materials alone doesn't cut it. Be aware that you need the right machinery for cutting aluminium, at least up to a precision of 1/10. The concept won't work if the frames aren't exactly the same. Although I won't recommend doing it yourself if you never worked with these kinds of materials before.

Depending on where you live, I'm willing to make one for you. If you're interested in this option let me know the configuration of the table you want and I'll calculate the total price for you.

Grtz,
    Dreamfish

Thanks for the offer but i live in the states so i know shipping would be horrible i am interested in having a table made but i do have access to the nessicary tools and machinery to make this table (mig welder and a full blown machine shop) and i haven't worked with aluminum before but i do have about 2 years expierence of welding and metal fabrication so i think it should'nt be too hard but another thing i was thinking about incorpirating into your design is magnetic hard points instead what looks like a wood pieces on the bottom of your boards.

But i am curious are you near Munich Germany if so i think i may have you build one for a friend could you cost out a 4'x6'for me. My friend is currently stationed in Germany and he is thinking about getting back into 40k if so i think this would make a awesome gift for him to have in the barracks
    Last edited by papagrif; 03-03-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Life is what you make of it, better to plan for the future and go with flow then to try and control everything around you.

Interesting idea, although they have to be strong enough to keep the panels in place. Are you also planning on doing the border?

I'm from Holland, so Germany wouldn't be a problem. I'll get back to so as soon as I calculated the price.

im looking at using thin 1/4" hard board and drilling 1/2" holes for x4 1/2" diameter x 1/16" thick neomydian magnets ive had success when using them for my armor cast warlock and phantom titans if that idea doesn't pan out then i will go to using 1/4' steel rod being used as pins

sweet so your only like a days train ride away lol i used to be stationed over in germany a couple years back hated amsterdam loved rotterdam though
    Last edited by papagrif; 03-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Life is what you make of it, better to plan for the future and go with flow then to try and control everything around you.

Is it my screen or did someone else also notice the optical illusion you've made in this pic. Look at the middle vertical paw and use your mouse scrolling wheel to scroll up and down. For me it gets all weird. It seems to get smaller and thicker while scrolling while the pic is the same. I thought you were really messing with us by posting a GIF but it's just a JPEG

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    i prefer to get two miniatures and rub them around on my gaming bobos.
    Totally going for #1 -->

Aaaah, here`s what I`ve postet at my blog recently. Nice to see your great idea again!

Keep up your good work. Maybe you are going to sell your idea soon
    War is not about glory - War is about victory!

http://miniaturefairytales.blogspot.co.at

Hi all,

Bumped for progress on the table. Finally finished one river panel.

Read the whole process here at my blog.

Kind regards,
    Dreamfish

really inspiring stuff. i just spent the better part of 2 hours reading your blog. i'm very happy you shared - i learned a lot.

@funnymouth, I'm glad you found it usefull.

All the river panels are now finished and can be seen at my blog post.

I'm also showing the table in a multi-layered configuration.

Just finished all the hill panels which can be seen here at my blog.

Pure genious. Wish i knew a dude that could weld...
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1