Thread: Base weights? Other tip prevention?

Default Base weights? Other tip prevention?

So I've recently gotten back into Warhammer 40k, and I find that several of my old Chaos Marine minis are prone to tipping over. In particular the Raptors and old style Bloodletters with their pointy axes. I was looking into ways to make them less prone to falling over, and found a really old link to some lead base weights designed specifically for this purpose, but being so old they're not available anymore and I can't find anything else like that currently for sale. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or provide other wisdom on dealing with this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe fishing weights? Or have you got any old lead models? I have a few that I have chopped the tabs of the feet for balance on others
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Glue a penny or other coin into the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    Maybe fishing weights? Or have you got any old lead models? I have a few that I have chopped the tabs of the feet for balance on others
    I don't have any lead, no... and it's something that I think improving the balance can fix; the models will stand okay on their own... it's just when they're poked or touched from pretty much any direction, they tend to topple over.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Glue a penny or other coin into the bottom
    Well that'd require cutting a penny in half, which I'm not sure how to do cleanly. Any ideas on that? Also, I'm not so sure that a penny would be heavy enough! Worth a try I guess, if nothing else presents itself...

One inch washers for round bases (or an English two pence piece.)

Blog Entries

BBs mixed into 5 min epoxy or GS and pasted into the bottom of the base

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Washers have the same problem as pennies- would have to cut them in half (which I'm not opposed to trying, I just don't know that I have the right tool to do so).

BBs in green stuff is an interesting idea. I just might try that! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium322 View Post
    Washers have the same problem as pennies- would have to cut them in half (which I'm not opposed to trying, I just don't know that I have the right tool to do so).

No you don't have to cut them. A twopence piece is exactly the size of a GW standard round slotta base.
    Used a number of them on my Sisters of Battle with jetpacks.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium322 View Post

green stuff has feck all weight to it, save your time and money.
    If you want to add some weight into the base without it being noticeable then just buy some small washers.
    Adding 1 inch washes to the base of the minies (or British two pence pieces) looks like this.

There's enough room under the slot in a slotta base for a washer, isn't there? If you need to, you can get a $5 hacksaw at the local hardware store, usually comes with a couple blades. Of course rotary tool with a cut off disc is a nicer option, but it's expensive and if you had it, you probably wouldn't say you had no way to cut a washer in the first place. Greenstuff makes expensive glue...so not recommended.

The sides of the slot go all the way down to the bottom of the base, but generulpoleaxe's photo does a good job of illustrating that that isn't a real limitation if you're willing to make your minis slightly taller. I guess on raptors in particular that isn't a terrible thing, since they're already quite tall to begin with, though I'd probably feel wrong putting washers under other minis that are meant to stand shoulder-to-shoulder (so to speak) with everything else. The raptors are my main concern, so probably a good solution for them.

Using washers like that would also leave a space under the base and above the washer, so I could even add something else (like BBs or ball bearings or whatever, and no need for the adhesive to be GS) in between...

Sorry I'm so used to plastic mini's now I forget that slotta bases have slots in White metal offcuts has worked for me before - it can look a little untidy but will weight a mini down a bit.

I stick 2p's to the bottoms of all my minis if they need them or not - i like the security of having a little extra weight underneath them

I use small coins (dutch 1-2 cents coins are pretty much useless anyway)

but you can also smash some fishing leads...
    you could even try "pressing" the leads into an unused base and see if you can use it as a mold, sticking the pressed lead into the other bases
    "The purpose of life is to be remembered, the meaning of life is to remember those that came before you." -Mourner

My personal motto when it comes to painting:
    "Try everything, and find what works for you."

My personal motto when it comes to life:
    "You can do anything you like, as long as you do it right."