Wash ratios

Thread: Wash ratios

Default Wash ratios

Anyone willing to share some of their ratios for a good wash? I need some for paints and inks.

Maybe this can be of some help.
    But I don\'t use ratios when thinning. I dip my brush in the paint.. then dip the bristles with paint in my water and stir a little and get rid of some paint and thin it in the meantime. Might sound quite ridiculous but it\'s a quick way.
    So my ratios are more like:
    3-4 seconds in the water for ink
    6-7 for paint :D

So many paints come out of the bottle at different thicknesses that I don\'t think you should think so much in ratios.

Think transparent.

If the paint looks thin enough to be transparent, then you have thinned it enough to tint/glaze/wash the area without too much paint build-up which is really the key.

I hope this helps.
    jim

Originally posted by Calavera
    But I don\'t use ratios when thinning. I dip my brush in the paint.. then dip the bristles with paint in my water and stir a little and get rid of some paint and thin it in the meantime. Might sound quite ridiculous but it\'s a quick way.
    Wow, I thought I might be one of the only people who used this method! Cool. I find it works great when working on a single mini--quick, easy, and no wasted paint!

Default you aren\'t alone...

Ummm...isn\'t that what everybody does? Thats how I do it at least, mostly out of a preference for the easiest method possible...:)

I actually use a dropper bottle filled w/ \"magic mixture.\" I dispense the paint onto my pallet. I dispense the mixture drop by drop into my paint based on the thickness I want. I then mix it w/ an old brush (not my groovy keen W&N Series 7s) and go from there.

jim