Thread: Cang...the impossible?

Default Cang...the impossible?

Hi fellow Cang owners

How's your Cang getting on?

Mine is turning out to be an absolute nightmare to build.
    It's not just aligning all the parts, so arms, hands, feet, body, tower, and rock all meet at the correct spot, at the same time.
    That's bad enbough, not the best way to engineer, it, very optimistic.
    Considering you have to build Cang sepreately so you cna paint him first, well...

No, it's the right wing joint.
    Is mine mismolded, because there is no way it's going to fit correctly, and before I ask for a new one, I want to make sure it's not just a poor part.
    The wing slots in all the way along, and the end rests nicely up aginst the shoulder, but there is a 5mm gap on both sides for much of the length of the musculature.
    Having built models of all types for over 25 years, i know when a fit is bad, and when it's absolutely appaling.
    In oder to fit this, I would have to pretty mcuh rebuild the entire upper join.

...thoughts?
    ...experiences?

Blog Entries

Might help others see the issues you are having if you posted a picture.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Well, if you had a Cang, and had troubels with the right wing fit, you'd know, and wouldn't need a photo, if you don't have Cang, then this post isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by yxalitis View Post
    Well, if you had a Cang, and had troubels with the right wing fit, you'd know, and wouldn't need a photo, if you don't have Cang, then this post isn't for you.
    Hey now! Don't rub it in!
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

A photo would help, then we could tell if it's a mismolded part (and replaceable) or something to do with the build.
    I like it firm and fruity!

I had thought with this model that it might be best to put him all together first and then paint him. Because he does need quite a bit of filling like you say. I haven't had any major problems with the right wing joint. the biggest issue with mine looks to be where the chest aligns to the tower and the join between the upper and lower torso (I have a couple of mill gap there but I think I can manage that with a bit of greenstuff. What do others think? Have you all put yours together first and then painted or painted first then put together? I'm at the satge of starting to glue so would be very useful to know! Thinking maybe I should paint the tower first now then try to attach him but any thougts welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chern Ann View Post
    A photo would help, then we could tell if it's a mismolded part (and replaceable) or something to do with the build.
    OK, my daughter held the wings in place, so that the long membrane was correctly aligned, and the upper tip sat in the best position, and this is the result:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7673478...57629398332957
    These photos are taken with the wing in the SAME POSITION, so I have to fill both sides to quite an extreme level.
    IF that's just the way it is, OK, I'll cope, but if it's a moulding issue...that's different!
    Last edited by yxalitis; 02-20-2012 at 04:35 AM.

some filing down might aid the fit a little but it looks pretty similar to mine. You should be able to fil those gaps with a bit of greenstuff. I have worse gaps to fill than that.

That seems aligned but just a big gap, the gaps on mine were a lot smaller, that said yours is doable. Just pin it well. You'd need a certain amount of texture sculpting between parts anyway, this way you just need a bit more! I had a little warping on the end of my wing membranes where they meet the lower part of the torso. Just put them in warm water until soft then hold still until they cool
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thanks, I suspected it was "supposed" to be that way, funny, as my daughter held it in place, shea ngled it differently, and it fitted in better, the original gap was larger!

Cool! So What is everyones' consensus on assemble before painting or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat23uk View Post
    Cool! So What is everyones' consensus on assemble before painting or vice versa?
    I guess it's a lollipop scenario.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

What? Suck it and see? Have you got one Mike? Mine has claws on his wing wrists now.. I think I may paint the tower first and then attach him to it.

There is no way to achieve the best results on eithe the tower, or the dragon, if the two are attached to each other, I am assembling Cang seprately first (well, apart from his left foot, obviously!)

I still haven't decided and this bothers me the most tbh. I think it's gonna be all in one go
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg