Silly fragile Rackham minis

Thread: Silly fragile Rackham minis

Default Silly fragile Rackham minis

Argh, now I\'ve got officially a crisis. I just destroyed the 6th Rackham mini. Now I\'m too afraid to touch more of them.
    I mean, I\'m not rought or careless with them, but I do something wrong, I just don\'t know WHAT!!

At first I broke the sword of the red Lioness by so much as thouching it. Thought it was a casting- error and brought her back.

Got a new one broke the sword again while painting it.

That one of the Lioness on horseback too.

Broke the legs of a Guardian of the moor.

Than one of theis spears while trying to glue it on.

Than the leg of Shanys while painting.

Than now, at last, the feet of Sykho Volesterus and one of the blades.

Now, to come to the point, what shall I do, so that I don\'t break anymore minis? What am I doing wrong?
    It\'s really frustrating, for I can\'t go on painting the damaged minis, and I don\'t want always to by new ones. Haven\'t got the money either.
    Hope you can help me.

Oh my, you scare me! So far, I\'ve painted only one Rackham mini and nothing happened to it. Well, it was a Wolfen and they\'re quite sturdy. But I have the Lioness waiting in line to get painted. Hope I don\'t break that one...

I guess one thing to do is to mount the models on something (I use a Chanel nail polish cap -- it\'s rectangular and quite handy). This way you\'ll be able to keep your hands off the minis while painting :) Hope that helps.

Well, I do that. I mostly glue them on cork, but it still happens. Yahrk:(

I\'ve broken a couple of Rackham minis in the assembly stage but the one I\'ve painted is fine. Hope the rest are too.

I\'ve noticed that the metal seems weaker, and kind of \"bendy brittle\" which is a bit of a contradiction, but the best way I can describe it.

I think the other problem is that the minis themselves can be very narrow or fine in places.

Maybe if we complained they would change their alloy?

Orginal gepostet von Sakura
    At first I broke the sword of the red Lioness by so much as thouching it. Thought it was a casting- error and brought her back.

Got a new one broke the sword again while painting it.

That one of the Lioness on horseback too.

Broke the legs of a Guardian of the moor.

Than one of theis spears while trying to glue it on.

Than the leg of Shanys while painting.

Than now, at last, the feet of Sykho Volesterus and one of the blades.
    Don\'t forget Sethin, you broke Sethin, too.

*pours oil into imaginative fire*

Actually, I have very little problems with my Rackhamsies. I broke Sethin too (The tab for the slottabase - no biggie, I pinned her) and a handle broke on my Keratios warrior\'s weapon. But those are two very fragile pieces, so it could kinda be expected...

Their minis contain lead which I think is why they are more bendy.

I am guessing this alloy also flows into the molds better which allows them to get better details???

Well, Sethin wasn\'t a problem, because the miniature in itself is still okey.

Default Pigs might fly

Originally posted by Trevor
    They are a French company Trevor.
    If we complain they will put more lead in and raise their prices...

Things work a little differently in France...

Perhaps if we asked them to make their minis more brittle and a lot more expensive we might have a chance... :flip:

Sturmhalo

I normally prefer lead to pewter, but in the case of Rackham, Pewter would suit their delicate casts far more. Still wouldn\'t stop folks with big fat clumsy hands bostin everything they touch though! lol

Originally posted by Sturmhalo
    I normally prefer lead to pewter, but in the case of Rackham, Pewter would suit their delicate casts far more. Still wouldn\'t stop folks with big fat clumsy hands bostin everything they touch though! lol
    Too bloody true...or mother saying \"That\'s nice!\" And then slamming freshly painted mini down on table with the same force that a landing Jumbo jet applies. (*Shudders at memory*)

Well, my most recent breakage wouldn\'t have happend if I had been smarter to prime right in the first place!! I was stripping off the paint (gotta word that carefully around here :] ) of my new Warriors of blood, and one of their sword broke off! I was using a giant brass brush at the time, and the peice was so small to begin with, so...

I also have problems gluing teeny Rackham peices... the Half Elves have obviously been infected with a certain strain of leperousy because their arms keep falling off! It also really bugged me when I went to pin them and I drilled through one of their feet.. I do NOT look forward to trying to pin Ysis to a carefully made desert base (at least she\'s been innoculated to the arm-virus.. :rolleyes: )

:P

U4-Welcome

Message original : finn17
    Originally posted by Trevor
    They are a French company Trevor.
    If we complain they will put more lead in and raise their prices...

Things work a little differently in France...

Perhaps if we asked them to make their minis more brittle and a lot more expensive we might have a chance... :flip:
    Try to go on strike... strikes are very popular. :bouncy:

I agree that the Rackham minis are more fragile and on the thin pieces, one has to be very careful. The scariest thing is when you get something in a blister that\'s seriously bent (like the hilt of Mira\'s sword) ... you might as well expect it to be gone, because thin pieces like that won\'t come back w/ out breaking.

I don\'t think lead would help ... while it would make the metal more resistant to \"snappage,\" the softness of the metal would reduce the ability to pick up the really fine detail that is inherent in their sculpts.

In the end, I take the risk because their minis are so cool ... if 1 in 20 break ... just a 5% surcharge to get cool minis. That\'s a lot better than the GW surcharge for getting ho-hum minis!!

jim

Default Technicalities...

I normally prefer lead to pewter, but in the case of Rackham, Pewter would suit their delicate casts far more.
    I think you\'re thinking of pewter with lead, rather than unleaded pewter. I actually had a lead mini and it was heavy for it\'s size.

I was just getting technical on this because I recently got an interest in wondering just what pewter IS anyway. And I found this site with this explaination:

What is Pewter?

Throughout it\'s long history pewter has had an almost infinite variety of compositions, even today there are still numerous varieties produced. The only common factor is a relatively high tin content which is hardened by additions of other elements. In most countries newly manufactured pewter is a lead free alloy usually being hardened with additions of antimony and copper, containing over 90% tin. Other elements such as silver and bismuth are sometimes used in. In the past pewter often contained lead but as awareness has grown into the harmful effects of lead it should now have been eliminated. Modern pewter can be polished to a bright silver like finish or if preferred chemical darkeners can be used to simulate the patinas associated with old pewter.
    Here\'s the site I got this from:

http://www.carnmetl.demon.co.uk/pewter.htm

Maybe Rackham need a different alloy mix for their minis. I had a Red Lioness on Foot snap at her scrawny ankles, and the Mounted one\'s sword broke.

Oh well, I still love the sculpts.

Default What he said...

Originally posted by sivousplayIn the end, I take the risk because their minis are so cool ... if 1 in 20 break ... just a 5% surcharge to get cool minis. That\'s a lot better than the GW surcharge for getting ho-hum minis!!
    jim
    Sorry Jim, I am not a hideous sycophant, I just happen to agree with you most of the time:D

Originally posted by sivousplay
    In the end, I take the risk because their minis are so cool ... if 1 in 20 break ... just a 5% surcharge to get cool minis. That\'s a lot better than the GW surcharge for getting ho-hum minis!!

jim
    It seems everyone is adhering to my GW philosophy: Get your trophy and get out, eh, Jim? :P

There are some minis of theirs that are quite cool ... the new Celestine as an example, but they are a much more rare occurrence than from rackham or reaper.

But, if you\'re going to try and sell stuff, GW sells very well. Can\'t count them out even w/ a few trophies.

BTW, short of a major calamity, I will be in LA next year. Hope you will be too.

jim

Sturmhalo

Originally posted by Duende
    I normally prefer lead to pewter, but in the case of Rackham, Pewter would suit their delicate casts far more.
    I think you\'re thinking of pewter with lead, rather than unleaded pewter. I actually had a lead mini and it was heavy for it\'s size.
    When I say lead I mean tin/lead alloy (the relatively soft metal that most minis used to be made of and many still are, such as Rackham\'s appear to be). When I say pewter I mean pewter! The lead free stuff that\'s a lot harder and more rigid (as used by GW and many others).