need advice on which army to collect

Thread: need advice on which army to collect

Default need advice on which army to collect

Hi there,

I am getting into warhammer Fantasy after a few years layoff due to an injury which has left me a paraplegic using a wheelchair. So I am looking at doing a stand and shoot army. I know i could go with elves, empire, tomb kings, dwarf, skaven.... but i want it to be fun and funny so i was thinking about going with skaven. Any suggestions as to which army to collect and keep in mind that being in a wheelchair makes it more difficult to maneuver models around a table so that is why i want to do a shooty army. Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

sixwheeler

Send me a PM if you go Skaven.
    I have the doomwheel, new and unstarted.
    I would be happy to donate it to get you started.

Send me a PM regardless of your army choice.
    I have lots of WHF.

Us "wheelers" gotta stick together.....

Chris Wheeler
    Last edited by cfwheeler58; 03-27-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Is that nepotism - from one Wheeler to another?! Very kind you you though!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Hi!
    Well most armies have shooting capacity with the exception of chaos warriors and demons, the skaven have some shooting abilities but they are more short range. For these armies magic is the main shooting long range weapon. Dwarves, high elves, empire can field big shooting units with long range up to across the table. If you go skaven, you would have to take magicians to give you good shooting power and yes the doomwheel does shoot long but there is always the mishaps that are fun and keep ones up on their toes. Almost any army will do for you, you will have to field more shooting units than most, but it will make your army more special to play with. The problem will be to figure out a few tricks/trinkets with which you could move more easily your units, just using unit trays will help a lot to move a whole unit in a single step, you would just need something to help you reach to the tray and handle it (a card game wood paddle to pick cards? it is large and slim enough to hold and move a tray and long enough to use?).
    Don't let this problem stop you, most players will be happy to move hard to reach units for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Moradin View Post
    Hi!
    Well most armies have shooting capacity with the exception of chaos warriors and demons, the skaven have some shooting abilities but they are more short range. For these armies magic is the main shooting long range weapon. Dwarves, high elves, empire can field big shooting units with long range up to across the table. If you go skaven, you would have to take magicians to give you good shooting power and yes the doomwheel does shoot long but there is always the mishaps that are fun and keep ones up on their toes. Almost any army will do for you, you will have to field more shooting units than most, but it will make your army more special to play with. The problem will be to figure out a few tricks/trinkets with which you could move more easily your units, just using unit trays will help a lot to move a whole unit in a single step, you would just need something to help you reach to the tray and handle it (a card game wood paddle to pick cards? it is large and slim enough to hold and move a tray and long enough to use?).
    Don't let this problem stop you, most players will be happy to move hard to reach units for you!

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at the dwarves more and they could be interesting to play as they have some good shooting and can take a charge also. But then the High Elves can dish out lots of missile fire and are good in combat but can fall quickly when in combat. I'll take a closer look at the Empire and see what they offer.

I think Dwarves are the ultimate stand and fire type of army, because they don't have a whole lot of mobility so don't need it. Plus they can weather charges and ballistics and magic like champs. Whereas High Elves need that mobility to maneuver around and control where and when the encounters happen. Plus they die like dogs at the slightest sneeze. The Empire is sort of in the middle, it always depends on the units you take but they've got so many choices, they can do it all.

I would suggest a different game actually. I think warmachine/hordes or malifaux or infinity would be better for you. Reasons being warhammer is on a 4x6 board the others are on 4x4 and 3x3 boards. The warhammer guys will need to be magnetized cause they fall over when you try to move the whole unit tray. The other games are considered skirmish games and you are moving just one model at a time.

An Empire army probably has the widest range of options for a shooting heavy army and the new Empire book is coming out in the next month or so. TK & Skaven do have some ranged troops but not a massive proportion. Dwarves are pretty sound as an army and you're not going to have millions of miniatures (certainly less than a Skaven or Empire army).

I do know what Uglybug is saying though, Warhammer does require a balance of close combat and ranged miniatures. Magnetised movement trays and one of those pushers (you've seen them in "The War Room" in films) could help if you're playing on relatively flat surfaces.

I think dwarfes or empire are the way to, dwarfes don't move much, look great and have some wicked artilary choices. On top of all this you can add the extremely rich lore of the warhammer world and you end up with a very fun and entertaining hobby. I have found that the lower centre of gravity for the dwarfes means they don't pop out of the tray very often, which wouldn't be an issue if you were planning on being a static force anyway. Another option may be the Empire, who can be really shooty and are just getting redone with some rather sweet looking models. If you are interested in the painting aspect of the hobby then they provide a rich hobby experience and have a broad range of models. I personally play Brettonians, they are mobile and look brilliant on the table, maybe not the army for you based on what you mentioned before.

If you are going for a skirmish game then I would probably recommend Mordheim or bloodbowl. The only downnside to going with a skirmish game is because the force is much smaller you will get the painting done relatively quickly, leaving you with only gaming to do. If you are like me then you probably wont be gaming every day or even every week, so having a nice juicy hobby project to crunch into on a rainy day or when theres no prospect of playing a game can be quite rewarding as a hobby experience...especially as you notice unit by unit getting completed and your army coming together it can really be something to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by hajmoid View Post
    If you are going for a skirmish game then I would probably recommend Mordheim or bloodbowl.
    I think Mordheim could pose a few problems with regards to manoeuvring too, despite being on a smaller gaming area. I've a very good friend who's got muscular dystrophy and find there are times in Necromunda and Mordheim where he just can't get to his mini's easily enough and line of sight was interesting at times!

One thing that has just occurred to me. Years ago I used to go to a gaming club on a Thursday evening and one of the chaps there was in a wheel chair, some of the tables were "desk height" rather than dining table height and allowed him to wheel himself completely underneath but were low enough to stretch over at least 18" from his setup area. Not sure what setup you intend to play on but it could

Bloodbowl then maybe? Theres nothing saying you couldn't do both Bloodbowl and WFB they are seperate games and both quite enjoyable.