AndyG WIP (pic heavy) - Page 86
Page 86 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 4564

Thread: AndyG WIP (pic heavy)

Yeah. NMM looks crap on historicals though. Even though this is a Hollywood historical, I think that means TMM with some embellishments. Take a look at Dave Powell's Aquilla and compare how you think you did with him. He has a similar bronze cuirass on. Because that is the standard.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Looks great, Andy! You're just too stubborn to admit you like it!! What I'd do now is to pick out some of the edge detail with some brighter tones. Don't overdo it, just to help bring out the detail. The green glazes look great and the extra highlighting was just enough.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Little bit picked out but not much in hand it's bling on the edges the camera isn't picking it up Ritual. Using the young box art as reference and the film the leather work is very dark and mat. I've yet again stipples it a bit to add a bit of depth and interest but the highliting is very minimal on the leather I might push it a bit more but only a tad. Also the crest is black on the film so only slight amounts of grey on it here might push it a bit as well. I'm constantly amazed at how quick this is coming along! I swear a 30mm scale would take longer!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Your time spent on NMM has served you well here. I really like how your TMM is coming out. I am glad to see you are embracing the one true path Join us, join us, join us...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Andy, was looking at a paint yesterday and forgot to mention it.......VMC Black Green, might be a good assist as a darkening glaze over the Brown/Black.

OH and get some better reading material, lol
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

i really like how we can discuss andys life by looking at the backgrounds of his wip shots

shaping up really well! wish i had half of your speed...

Metaliics look mighty fine mate, real good!!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Highlight the horse hair thingy with cold blues???
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

BFK yep will do good idea. Er Stef I'll trade my speed for your perfection any day also at the moment I be mainly reading trashy Warhammer 40k(fast show to those in the know). I have an admission to make and ritual is going to love it ughhh its hard to say .......I'm liking TMM!! ffffffffff that was hard to say. I think from now on TMM for biggies and NMM for smallies.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=

Another TMM convert... excellent! I think it's tough to get NMM to look right on historical figures and combine that with large scale... well, TMM is probably the better choice. I really like the stippling texture you've got on his armor. Really nice!

So something that struck me about this figure was the shading of the stubble on his face versus the color of his actual hair. I don't have a real good handle on what stubble for blonde hair should look like, but I feel like it should be pretty light in color. This looks more like brown or dark hair stubble to me. Combined with that bright yellow hair it looks a little unnatural. I've got brown hair, so I don't have a good feel for what blonde stubble should look like. Anyone with some first hand experience want to chime in? You might want to take the hair to a darker blonde or even into brown. Again, that becomes a question of are you painting Achilles or Brad playing Achilles. You don't see a lot of blonde Greeks (one of the complaints about the movie if I recall correctly). =P Anyway, just me being nit picky again. As I said, the armor and skin look great. And the leather is coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I'm liking TMM!!

Seriously, though. Great work! If things turn out this well it's no wonder you're liking it! I look forward to seeing it in the flesh at Euro, because you ARE taking it there, aren't you?
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Yep I don't normal paint for competitions just what I fancy at the time and then pick my best for the show when it's there. But this time it is entirely for the show so I could enter the historical bust section. So it is doubly pleasing that I'm also really enjoying painting it a lot!
    Here be my ranking=

Blog Entries

He is looking really good. I don't really mind the stubble because many times a light haired guy will have a different color facial hair. When I tried to grow a beard it looked like a quilt, some brown, red, a little grey some black. It was horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    He is looking really good. I don't really mind the stubble because many times a light haired guy will have a different color facial hair. When I tried to grow a beard it looked like a quilt, some brown, red, a little grey some black. It was horrendous.
    Same here Milosh. Goatee area is red with patches of blonde. The rest is brown with blonde spots. Strange, ain't it? Considering I am a beautful brunette.

So yeah Andy, I think dark facial hair growth is good on Brad. I
    sure that's how it really is too....

Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Same here Milosh. Goatee area is red with patches of blonde. The rest is brown with blonde spots. Strange, ain't it? Considering I am a beautful brunette.

So yeah Andy, I think dark facial hair growth is good on Brad. I
    sure that's how it really is too....
    GITS......82% White facial hair now.

Andy I'm looking forward to seeing it at Euro and pleased that you've gone all Busty......BUT double check the categories, Brad may not be classed as a Historical.
    What else you sticking in?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

CMoN is teaching me all sorts of stuff about facial hair!

I guess they could give you a bit of trouble with the historical category, but I'd say you could argue the case. Either you're painting Achilles, a pseudo-historical figure (while Homer's poem is not a factual tale, historians agree that the story is based on an actual war between the Mycenaean Greek cities and a city called Troy... so who's to say there was not a warrior named Achilles during that war?) or you're painting Brad Pitt circa 2004, a real person from a time in history albeit a rather recent period. Looks like euro makes a distinction between military and civilian subjects, so if you're arguing there could be a real historical person that is the basis for Achilles, then it's a military bust. If you're arguing it's Brad Pitt, then he's civilian and I guess it goes into painted civilian single. At least that's my take on it. Whether or not the judges agree... well, I don't have a say in that.

Bailey, exactly what I was thinking, and I'm in the same boat.
    While I have three definite Historical busts, one definite Fantasy bust, I have one which is difficult for me to place.
    I think that's going to have to be an "Ask For Advice" moment when I get there.
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    CMoN is teaching me all sorts of stuff about facial hair!

I guess they could give you a bit of trouble with the historical category, but I'd say you could argue the case. Either you're painting Achilles, a pseudo-historical figure (while Homer's poem is not a factual tale, historians agree that the story is based on an actual war between the Mycenaean Greek cities and a city called Troy... so who's to say there was not a warrior named Achilles during that war?) or you're painting Brad Pitt circa 2004, a real person from a time in history albeit a rather recent period. Looks like euro makes a distinction between military and civilian subjects, so if you're arguing there could be a real historical person that is the basis for Achilles, then it's a military bust. If you're arguing it's Brad Pitt, then he's civilian and I guess it goes into painted civilian single. At least that's my take on it. Whether or not the judges agree... well, I don't have a say in that.
    Good Lord. Sounds like you should take a lawyer with you.

Er well me to. I thought Troy was a real war and I assumed that Achilles was a real person. If a problem I will say Greek warrior circa 1500 BC I will ask the judges where to place it. Thats one thing about Euromilitaire the judges while Very Very picky and demanding of high standard they are conversely very approachable and supportive. It's all about improving the standard and promoting the hobby.

The beard I think is right if you look at some blonde hair in some light angles looks very dark so I'm going to stick with it for now.
    Here be my ranking=

Think that shadow on the top of his left shoulder needs to be toned down a bit with a glaze. Looking at him as a whole it seems unnatural to me when compared to the whole piece. I could be wrong though take with a grain of iodinized salt.