What makes a good miniature to paint?

View Poll Results: What kind of miniatures do you preer to paint?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ogre

4 28.57%
  • Knights

0 0%
  • Elves

2 14.29%
  • Hero (male)

5 35.71%
  • Hero (female)

5 35.71%
  • Barbarians

1 7.14%
  • Orcs/Goblins

3 21.43%
  • Dwarfs

1 7.14%
  • Zombies

4 28.57%
  • Skeletons

1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What makes a good miniature to paint?

Smile What makes a good miniature to paint?

Hi,
    I need some help please!

I want to get into the sculpting hobby and I would like to know what for you makes a good miniature to paint so that I can bare it in mind when I plan my sculpts.

Does size matter for you :P?

Do you like to paint metallics?

Do you prefer male or female figures?

What do you love to find in a miniature??

what do you hate in a miniature??

Do you like humans, dragons, orcs, elves,...??

Weapons??

What is your FAVOURITE MINIATURE OF ALL TIMES??
    Thank you or your help!!
    Any kind of feedback is highly appreciated!!
    Last edited by mgm96; 04-09-2012 at 01:51 PM.

I have a preference for miniatures representing strong female characters. Most of the ones around are either very old reaper sculpts or overly busty and sexified sculpts.

Werner Klocke does some neat ones, but are very specific to his own game.

Femal adventurers, fighters, rogues and sorcerors would be neat.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Don't paint women generally, esp cheesecake stuff.
    Tend to prefer gritty stuff, mechs and weird wtuff. Not wacky, but twisted
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

ogres types all the way, all kinds of them. big muscular guys. like minotaurs, trolls, rat ogres.... you name it. lots of skin and a dangerous shiny weapon = win.

i rather not paint regular 28-32mm guys and lesser scale (realizing that now when painting some gw skeletons... ugh, too small!)

I prefer character to anything else. If the mini has character, I want to paint it.

Hi Mgm96,

Bit geeky but I have tried to answer your points from my persective. Hope this helps.

Does size matter for you - Yes, nothing too small (28/32mm) minimum. I am also not too bothered in massive kits.

Do you like to paint metallics? I steer away from too much metallic as it doesn't do it for me. i try to paint NMM to make it more interesting. A knight clad in steel armour head to toe would be a nightmare for me.

Do you prefer male or female figures? Males, I prefer the larger body shapes as I struggle with anything to slender, such as females or elfish minis.

What do you love to find in a miniature?? Nice proportions, open stance - preferably so I can assemble and paint the whole thing in one piece

what do you hate in a miniature?? Detail overload! Or closed stance so I have to paint all the pieces seperately.

Do you like humans, dragons, orcs, elves,...?? Humans and Orcs. I like the musculature to paint as I find it interesting. Same would go for Ogres but they're a bit big for me and I struggle to make the larger flesh areas interesting.

Weapons?? Chunky - Close combat preferably. I find guns boring to paint as they're difficult to personalise.

What is your FAVOURITE MINIATURE OF ALL TIMES?? I like this guy

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

LOL that is my avourite miniature too!!

Thank you so much or the good advice!! keep it comingg!

Does size matter for you :P? Anything from 28mm upwards.

Do you like to paint metallics? Yes and also NMM, depends on the look I want to go for.

Do you prefer male or female figures? Neither, I prefer furry or scaly monsters.

What do you love to find in a miniature?? It depends on the miniature in question. Good proportions, dynamic scuplts, Characterful models.

what do you hate in a miniature?? static poses, derivative or poor sculpting, skimpy clothes on female characters, especially barbarian types from the north I mean, wtf?.

Do you like humans, dragons, orcs, elves,...?? Dragons, monsters, werewolves, werecats, lizardmen, unusual critters.

Weapons?? depends on the overall look of the mini. not always required.

What is your FAVOURITE MINIATURE OF ALL TIMES?? Rackham's wolfen, the Golden dragon of chaos from Ral Partha, Foregworld's fire dragon.

Does size matter for you 20mm+

Do you like to paint metallics? MM or NMM or SENMM - it's all gravy.

Do you prefer male or female figures? I likes both.

What do you love to find in a miniature?? A good face and posture.

what do you hate in a miniature?? bland female faces (ugly or pretty only please) fussy sculpted detail for no reason. I also HATE HATE HATE busts.

Do you like humans, dragons, orcs, elves,...?? Humanoid.

Weapons?? I don't mind... I love well armed minis and also ones like Jade by reaper with no weapons.

What is your FAVOURITE MINIATURE OF ALL TIMES?? I don't know. Sorry.

Does size matter for you :P? 28-32mm and up for myself, though I mostly stick in that range.

Do you like to paint metallics? Dear lord, no, but it's a necessary evil, and I'm slowly getting better at it.

Do you prefer male or female figures? I'm flexible on this one, as I mostly just paint minis for my gaming group, these days, giving them something to represent their characters on the battle grids.

What do you love to find in a miniature?? Dynamic poses, open stances, as mentioned by others. These, I find, are easier to modify if I find it necessary.

what do you hate in a miniature?? Nipples on plate mail.

Do you like humans, dragons, orcs, elves,...?? Yes. I paint the characters. I paint the monsters. I'm all over the place, when I have the time.

Weapons?? Personally, I would LOOOOVE to see little mod kits of the less-used weapons. Everyone's got a sword, or a bow, or a dagger, but where's the spiked chains? Where's the star knives? Sure, I can sculpt them myself, but I'm frickin' lazy.

What is your FAVOURITE MINIATURE OF ALL TIMES?? I couldn't possibly pick one. It changes every time I browse around, shopping. Currently, I'd have to say it's the Knight Miniatures' Punisher, 72mm scale. Last week it was Reaper's Finari, female justicar. Before that it was an old Ral Partha Paladin I found in a trunk.

Does size matter for you :P?
    Sort of, I like larger minis but it depends on the subject and the amount of detail represented, plus how well the piece is sculpted and cast.

Do you like to paint metallics?
    Yes, but not excessively (too much on the one figure).

Do you prefer male or female figures?
    Male, but there are plenty of superb female sculpts.

What do you love to find in a miniature??
    Clean details; not necessarily a lot of detail but crisply done. Clean surface overall (often a casting issue but sometimes down to the original sculpt). Good pose and anatomy; if the subject isn't captured in motion instead of a straight-up-and-down pose I think I'd generally prefer something more dynamic like the CMON Barbarian King.

Good casting.

what do you hate in a miniature??
    Hard to say, I like what I like and hate what I hate but weak anatomy and a pose that doesn't 'make sense' would be two good examples.

Bad casting and poor engineering would have to also feature on the list.

Do you like humans, dragons, orcs, elves,...??
    Yes, not so much, sometimes.

I'm not specist, I like just about anything depending on the quality of the sculpt.

Weapons??
    Yes, weapons are good.

What is your FAVOURITE MINIATURE OF ALL TIMES??
    Too many to pick just one, but some recent favs that just happened to cross my radar:

Red Box Games zombies:
    http://red-box-games.com/images/RBG%...r%20Undead.JPG

Emilia "Foxy" Foxwell from Statuesque Miniatures:
    http://www.statuesqueminiatures.co.u...emilia-foxwell

Would be worth doing a search for previous threads on favourite miniatures (look for favorite as well as favourite), there are a good few.

Einion

Hi mgm :)

>Does size matter for you ? Absolutely ! The bigger the model, the better. Puts the ideal size for a human around 35mm for me.

>Do you prefer male or female figures? When it comes to individual models, I tend to favour female ones.

>What do you love to find in a miniature?? Neatly sculpted face ... original designs ... funny (not cheesy) references to cult movies.

>Do you like to paint metallics? Actually, yes, I've never been really at ease with NMM.

>Do you like humans, dragons, orcs, elves,...?? I'm definitely not in a medfan mood -XD-

>Weapons?? M41-A pulse rifle is my weapon of choice.

>what do you hate in a miniature?? MONKEYS !! I absolutely loathe them ! ... and humans with ludicrous proportions.

>What is your FAVOURITE MINIATURE OF ALL TIMES?? I hesitate between Rackham's Dirz biopsist #1

and Jes Goodwin's chaos champion with goat skull & bone armour.

Now ... "What ... is your favourite colour ?"-XD-
    Last edited by Nguyen.S; 03-31-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgm96 View Post
    Hi,
    I need some help please!

I want to get into the sculpting hobby and I would like to know what for you makes a good miniature to paint so that I can bare it in mind when I plan my sculpts.
    If you are sculpting, sculpt for YOU, not what anyone else wants!
    There are enough painters that you should find a market, and if you stick to what you WANT to do, not what you think people will buy, then your work will show the passion you hold for the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by yxalitis View Post
    If you are sculpting, sculpt for YOU, not what anyone else wants!
    QFT.

Personally, I like miniatures that are somewhat twisted - a re-take on existing conceptions. Good examples are Kingdom Death (which are both twisted and perverted - I could do without the latter, occasionally), and the tale re-imaginings from that Spanish company that does Ron & Bones.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    I prefer character to anything else. If the mini has character, I want to paint it.
    THIS... and no, ridiculous amounts of fussy detail or a sword ten feet long do not constitute character. Nor do bare breasts, or yet another muscly guy yelling and waving $weapon.

Also, your poll left out an entire genre called "science fiction", as well as several other important ones.