Thread: Help with Icelandic

Default Help with Icelandic

Are there any members out there who are fluent in this lovely language? A friend wants me to compose a poem for a tattoo and as such I'd really like it to be grammatically correct. I've got the poem translated with Google but we all know how that can mess things up if you're not careful...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    Are there any members out there who are fluent in this lovely language? A friend wants me to compose a poem for a tattoo and as such I'd really like it to be grammatically correct. I've got the poem translated with Google but we all know how that can mess things up if you're not careful...
    Damn. I lived in Keflavik for 5 years but do not speak the language and have not kept up with any friends there. But if I recall correctly from my culture classes, Icelandic was a derivative of Danish. Not sure if a Dane (Marjedi is in Denmark, but I have no idea if he is a Dane or not) might know someone that is fluent in Icelandic and would be able to help you out.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Squiggie speaks it I believe, I shall direct him this way
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I was summoned?

Icelandic is not derivative of Danish, as a start. Danish, Noregian and Swedish are debased Icelandic.

I'd be happy to look at it, father-tongue and that.

Regards,
    Squig

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squig hunter View Post
    Icelandic is not derivative of Danish, as a start. Danish, Noregian and Swedish are debased Icelandic.
    Forgive me! It's been over twenty years since I was last in Iceland, and I suffer from a serious case of CRS (Can't Remember S**t!) I more recently worked with a Norwegian that I think said that Danish was a derivative of Norwegian, and Icelandic a derivative of Danish!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Norwegians are also apt to claim that H.C. Andersen's literary plaudits are also Norway's, because it was under the control of the Danish crown during his lifetime

Squig

damn norwegians claimin stuff! we all know all scandinavian and nordic things are actually swedish=)

Wonderful! I've PM'd you Squig.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.