Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: 3D Zombicide Board

  1. #1

    Default 3D Zombicide Board

    I'm aware the game's release is a ways off yet, and that they'll be plenty of playability using the tiles from the box, but for LONG term playing. I'm thinking of making a 3D zombicide board.

    Sarissa Precision make some really nice looking 28mm, laser cut city block terrain that's look fantastic mounted on a 2x2 board.







    Anyone else thinking of doing this?

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm going to do it for sure, I want to start now but I can't find out what size the game board tile are. Anyone know?

  3. #3

    Default

    As awesome as these are (and they are awesome, I want me some of those!), I find that it's unreasonable for me to have terrain that doesn't break down easily. I would love for Terraclips to make something like this that I can take apart and store easily. That said, if these are my only option, I will find a way to store them.
    Last edited by posttech; 04-25-2012 at 06:12 PM.

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm definitely interested in having 3D terrain for this game, but I'd really have to play it a few times first. Not only to get an idea of the tile and building sizes needed, but also to see what other game requirement would have to be incorporated into the terrain.Lasercut is already something I was considering. I just haven't gone "shopping" around to see what's available yet.

  5. #5

    Default

    A couple things come to mind when seeing this:

    -First off, the idea and the concept building definitely look awesome!

    -This seriously reminds me of the first level in Left 4 Dead's Mercy Hospital.

    -With how wonderfully crafted the pictures are of the building (in it's great detail), a big hurdle I foresee is taking it apart and storing it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thulsa790 View Post
    I'm going to do it for sure, I want to start now but I can't find out what size the game board tile are. Anyone know?
    I have no idea, but the "zone" movement mechanic seems like it would translate well onto a 3D board, so long as the zones outside buildings, defined by those whtie traffic lines, are the same spacings as the tiles.

    Quote Originally Posted by posttech View Post
    As awesome as these are (and they are awesome, I want me some of those!), I find that it's unreasonable for me to have terrain that doesn't break down easily. I would love for Terraclips to make something like this that I can take apart and store easily. That said, if these are my only option, I will find a way to store them.
    I know that the Sarissa stuff comes in pieces you push together. The reviews I've read suggest you don't need glue, and if that's the case, the buildings could be broken down for storage! I've made an order for one of the smaller buildings so I'll let you know what they're like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darsc Zacal View Post
    I'm definitely interested in having 3D terrain for this game, but I'd really have to play it a few times first. Not only to get an idea of the tile and building sizes needed, but also to see what other game requirement would have to be incorporated into the terrain.Lasercut is already something I was considering. I just haven't gone "shopping" around to see what's available yet.
    I've tried to find laser cut stuff for zombicide as well as infinity, and it seems like other than these guys, and the micro arts stufff for infinity, there aren't many easy to find manufacturers around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Demasterpl View Post
    A couple things come to mind when seeing this:

    -First off, the idea and the concept building definitely look awesome!

    -This seriously reminds me of the first level in Left 4 Dead's Mercy Hospital.

    -With how wonderfully crafted the pictures are of the building (in it's great detail), a big hurdle I foresee is taking it apart and storing it.
    For me anyway, I'd keep it assembled (mostly, the top floor and roof would remain removable) for storage, probably in an empty drawer where it'd be safe!

  7. #7
    Newbie, please be gentle Kevzilla666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oakland, CA. USA
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Oh Yeah! Those Buildings Kick-Ass!

    I was already drawing up building plans, and then I saw your post. These buildings really kick-ass! I have got to get some of these for my 3-D board! They look like you could make them able to break down for easier storage, and travel. Thanks for posting!

    Quote Originally Posted by imm0rtal reaper View Post
    I'm aware the game's release is a ways off yet, and that they'll be plenty of playability using the tiles from the box, but for LONG term playing. I'm thinking of making a 3D zombicide board.

    Sarissa Precision make some really nice looking 28mm, laser cut city block terrain that's look fantastic mounted on a 2x2 board.







    Anyone else thinking of doing this?

  8. #8

    Default

    Hi,

    I own one of the Sarissa's Old West Buildings and it's fine without any glue, so you can take it apart for storage.

    But if you want to go §D you could also use Papercraftstuff like the Stuff from FatDragonGames:

    Attachment 12812

    Attachment 12811

    or WorldWorks

    Attachment 12813

    http://www.worldworksgames.com/store...ct&product=201


    I used this Paperstuff to build Towns for my D&D and Lotow Games and i think I will use it for Zombicide too. Currently I'm building a Board to play FRAG with 3D Terrain.



    Attachment 12815
    (the sarissa building is in the middle of the front row)

    Name:  Img_3111.jpg
Views: 6000
Size:  199.1 KB

    It looks way harder to build these things than it actually is and you get cool resuts pretty quick

  9. #9

    Default

    The terra clips sets would be ideal for Zombicide:
    http://www.worldworksgames.com/store...og&system_id=2

  10. #10

    Default

    You game has been truly loved when it get's this kind of treatment.

  11. #11

    Default

    Found another prospective site to get a cheap city set up:

    www.ziterdes.de produce a range of Hardfoam terrain. While not as awesome as the laser cut wooden stuff, these guys seem pretty good value, especially for the larger buildings and with a decent paintjob they'll still look great on the table.

    The roofs of a lot of the buildings are removable too, making them perfect!






  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellygrub View Post
    The terra clips sets would be ideal for Zombicide
    Having seen Terra Clips being used in person, I'm sorry to say I'm not a fan. The same with the paper terrain, although I will admit the advances in their look has improved dramatically in the last few years, it still is not for me.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darsc Zacal View Post
    Having seen Terra Clips being used in person, I'm sorry to say I'm not a fan. The same with the paper terrain, although I will admit the advances in their look has improved dramatically in the last few years, it still is not for me.
    I agree with Darsc, I'm not a paper terrain fan. I have seen some rather impressive looking paper boards, but I need substance. I'd only use paper for scatter, line of sight blocking terrain, such as shipping containers for infinity (and now zombicide )

  14. #14

    Default

    Terraclips are nice but theme wise Malifaux doesn't really fit. WWG's older Urban Mayhem stuff would be idea but would require a bit of work since you could basically design the buildings to match your tiles but in the end you have to print and then mount them to either poster board or foam core.

  15. #15

    Default

    I refuse to use anything from wwg for the simple fact that they won't stop emailing me. I signed up to their newsletter years ago and no matter how many times I "unsubscribe" it just keeps coming.

    I love those wooden laser cut ones!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninian View Post
    I love those wooden laser cut ones!
    They do seem to be the best option I've seen so far, but the style strikes me as a bit old(1920's to 1950's) for modern day zombie hunting. I guess they'd work as an older section of a city.

    Mind you, they would also work with Pulp era games, which doubles their usability. So that's a good thing.

    I don't have any experience with lasercut products though. Is that brickwork/stonework pattern actually engraved? Or is it just "scorched" onto the surface? I'm just wondering how paintable these buildings are and if that pattern would be lost under paint.
    Last edited by Darsc Zacal; 04-28-2012 at 12:06 AM.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darsc Zacal View Post
    They do seem to be the best option I've seen so far, but the style strikes me as a bit old(1920's to 1950's) for modern day zombie hunting. I guess they'd work as an older section of a city.

    Mind you, they would also work with Pulp era games, which doubles their usability. So that's a good thing.

    I don't have any experience with lasercut products though. Is that brickwork/stonework pattern actually engraved? Or is it just "scorched" onto the surface? I'm just wondering how paintable these buildings are and if that pattern would be lost under paint.
    All the pictures I've seen.stories I've heard suggest its all engraved and takes paint quite well without losing the details.

  18. #18

    Default

    My sarissa building arrived today:

    It comes flatpacked in a (surprisingly) small package. All the bits are already poked out so there's no messing around there!

    The bits go together nice and easily, and after painting there's no real need to glue them, although I've glued mine in sections (ground, first floor and roof)

    All the pieces are engraves and seem to hold their details pretty well when spray painted (although be warned, they adsorb a lot of paint so don't use any expensive stuff!) I didn't have any problem with warpage due to the paint either, which is a plus.

    Here's a few quick shots as it dries on my desk It's not assembled properly as it's drying but you get the idea:





    It's still pretty rough (didn't receive it until like 5 hours ago!) I need to touch up a few places I missed and there are plenty of details to be added such a furniture and random debris, but overall, very good value for money.

  19. #19

    Default

    That doesn't look too bad. Not the fanciest building I've seen, but it'll do the job. Espescially once it's prettied up a bit.

    I think I'll hold off on buying any buildings though until I've had a better look at the tiles and have some idea of what's needed gameplay-wise.

    Glad to see it seems to take paint well, and that the brickwork isn't obscured. Was that a can of spraypaint you used? Or do you have an airbrush?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darsc Zacal View Post
    That doesn't look too bad. Not the fanciest building I've seen, but it'll do the job. Espescially once it's prettied up a bit.

    I think I'll hold off on buying any buildings though until I've had a better look at the tiles and have some idea of what's needed gameplay-wise.

    Glad to see it seems to take paint well, and that the brickwork isn't obscured. Was that a can of spraypaint you used? Or do you have an airbrush?
    I used skull shite (that was type at first, but it seems fitting. . . ) chaos black and one of the army painter greys. In the future I'll just use some cheap £ shop greys though because of the absorption factor.

    At the moment it does look pretty dull, But I'm going to go back and paint the interior walls I think, also I'll be adding posters/graffiti to the outside walls at some point too. And once I get hold of some furniture (tables, beds that sort of thing) the insides should look pretty nice.

    My biggest problem with the kit is they haven't included a floor tile with a hole for stairs, do you'd have to cut one yourself to get a more "realistic" effect. It wouldn't be too hard, but it's a bit of a pain!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2011 CoolMiniOrNot Inc.

-->