Reaper Black Griffon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reaper Black Griffon

Default Reaper Black Griffon

Okay, thanks to Chern's information on another thread, I now know I can post this here for voting even though the status is "waiting".

I've submitted my Black Griffon that I "painted" with dry metallic pigments.

Votey link is here.

Comments are welcome and of course votes are appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

Looks great Kath, fascinating effects with the pigments. The photos on your WIP did it more justice.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Hi 10, thank you! You really liked the photos in the WIP thread better? hrrrmmmm...I can't stand 'em. lol! I just don't like them because they don't show the depth of color. I thought the ones I had in the submission did that a bit better. It's funny how that works.

Dam didnt see the votey linky thingy - the photos are muuuuuuuch better on the link. I was only looking at the one posted
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

lol! No worries 10! I just posted the one pic because I didn't want to overload the forums. Thank you m'dear!

Looks good, although I feel the edge of the base could do with being tidied up
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thanks freak and I did tidy it up, and tidied, and tidied...lol! I was really frustrated because that was the best I could do with it. The only thing I didn't try was liquid greenstuff on the sides to try to even it out. Maybe I should give that a shot.

ROFLMAO!! The comment that someone left - that's definitely the first time I've been accused of painting with a chainsaw! It was too funny to get pissed at even though my response is definitely tongue in cheek.

Okay, gotta get some stuff set up then I can go through posts in detail and hopefully get caught up.

Chainsaw! OMG! Priceless!

gonna try to not make this sound bad^^ i really like the effect of the wings, similar to some magpies or ravens! however brutely phraced, i see what he meant when i look at the claws and the beak/tounge. they look kinda messy, i guess it´s how you paint but kinda looks like you use loads of paint on your brush. know you can do better, your horsies are awesome and look a lot smoother in both colouring and blending than some of your minis!

That's okay Ischa! Now you just gave me very constructive feedback that I can totally use! Thank you!!! The beak and legs did give me significant problems which is probably why they look heavier - more layers to cover the boo-boos.

I don't want to strip him and if I just add more paint...well, I'm adding more paint and making him look even thicker. hrrrrmmmm...I wonder if I can spot strip him. You know take a cotton swab remove the paint from the beak, front feet, and maybe eyes, without disturbing the rest of him.....????

Might be worth a shot and if I goober him up even more, just take down the auction and strip him completely and start over.

What do y'all think?

But never, ever worry about giving me good constructive feedback! That's what I appreciate the most! Cause now I can figure out a plan of attack to fix him.

Asking me if I paint with a chainsaw, while hilarious, doesn't give me really any info to act on. A lot of folks might not like the way the pigments adhere to the mini, so I don't know if it was that or what.

Maybe while I'm at it, I can try cleaning up that base a little more too.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Tried to vote, but the link didn't take me to the gallery. I wanted to go look at the chainsaw guy's gallery, and see what a god of painting he must be.

Ya know...if I had a brain, I'd be dangerous. Sorry about that!

Try this one! Votey link

Painted with a chainsaw....what a jackass comment. Not usefull and not nice.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

noticed something funny. he asked you if you paint with a chainsaw and rated a four? what makes a 1 for him if chainsawpainting is a 4?? i hand out 1s then and then, rather often tbh, and a 4 is just below tabletop. last time i checked, you cant make tabletop happen with a chainsaw?

lol! Yeah, I saw that too. Since he doesn't have anything in his gallery, maybe the "god of mini painting" as Chad put it is actually confusing miniature painting with ice sculpture.

I don't know since I never tried this...but maybe if you smoke enough of the wacky tobacky, the minis really do look like ice sculptures. Maybe?

And no worries guys, I laughed when I read the comment. Y'all know the saying, "Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it." So now we definitely have facts in evidence.

Very interesting results using the metallic dry pigments, what pointed you in the direction of using that medium?

Quote Originally Posted by Savanttheory View Post
    Very interesting results using the metallic dry pigments, what pointed you in the direction of using that medium?
    Thank you Savant! In the model horse hobby, we use dry pigments to paint. Work light to dark, apply a layer of pigments, seal with dull coat and repeat until you build up to the color you want. Sometimes, to give that coat color a "healthy sheen" we apply metallic pigments in the midst of those layers. But you gotta be careful or it looks absolutely ridiculous and ruins all of your work.

Anyway, I have these metallic pigments around for that purpose and while I was working on a miniature, I looked at the metallics and said hmmmmm!

It was completely a "let's try it and see what happens" thing. I used silver metallic pigments on the knight's helm.

This was my result.

Well, hey, that ain't too shabby if I do say so myself. Emboldened I tried the rest of the armor.

(Sorry but I haven't shown him off in awhile. lol!)

I was able to get the aged effect I wanted very easily. I also have different shades of silvers, just like we do paint, so I did the same thing - shaded and highlighted. It worked like a charm.

And it snowballed from there! lol! I'll try metallics or regular pigments on just about anything "just to see what happens."

Are they messy to work with?

Well as a noob when it comes to pigments i would have to say you need to watch the amount you put on your aplicator or you get dustvall over the place. And get those clay shapers she has in the pic above, as in all things having the correct tools is important.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by Savanttheory View Post
    Are they messy to work with?
    They can be. With regular pigments, you're basically dealing with colored dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    Well as a noob when it comes to pigments i would have to say you need to watch the amount you put on your aplicator or you get dustvall over the place. And get those clay shapers she has in the pic above, as in all things having the correct tools is important.
    Bingo, Mar! You've got it. With regular pigments, I use the cheap but sturdy nylon brushes you get on sale at Michaels or Walmart. I put a piece of plain paper under whatever I'm working on, then load the brush with pigment, tap it a couple of times on the side of the jar, then apply it. When I'm done with that color I take the paper which has caught the excess pigment and dump the excess back in the jar. Then I move on to the next color. But that is also the reason why I like working with Earth Pigments they are non-toxic and no matter how careful you are, you're going to have dust and whatnot. So to protect your family, especially if you have pets and/or young children in the home, you'll want non-toxic. So check the labels!

The metallic pigments are Jacquard. If you try to apply those with a brush they go POOF!!! And you get glittery dust everywhere. The color shapers allow me to apply the metallics with a lot more precision so there's not as much dust.

The folks at Chest of Colors asked me to write an article/tutorial on dry pigments. If you like, you can check that out here.