Thread: New at CMON and actual WIP pictures

Colour in a Wave

Default New at CMON and actual WIP pictures

Hi there,

I´m Daniel and I am new to CMON ... well sort of. I once had an account but was not very acitve in the forums or posting pics.

Recently I moved my blog (http://scratch-built.blogspot.com) to (http://colourinawave.blogspot.com), so I decided I´ll restart on CMON and try to post more stuff than I did with my old (closed) account.

Here are some actual WIP pictures of my current work "The Wave out of Nowhere". I should be able to finish it soon. Comments welcome, but do not forget this is my first piece of work (I started to get into the whole mini hobby about half a year ago).

"The Wave out of Nowhere" is some kind of self-study on water effects. The whole object is about 110 cm long and app. 25 cm wide (not quite sure about the dimensions).

For future project I am definetly going for "real minis" ... hehe. For more info and picture visit my blog "Colour in a Wave". Enjoy.

Colour in a Wave

And two more pictures...

Jesus dude, that's very impressive, the colour shades for the water are perfect.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Well I'm stunned! Love that water!

One hell of an entrance! Hat's off for you mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Awesome piece of work mate. The water is brilliant mate. Welcome to CMON.

Blog Entries

Beautiful colours on that water mate, VERY accurate and realisitic colouring. Kind of wasted on the sub that, it gets lost against the brilliance of the water. If you were to do some kind of fantasy sub with the same quality water and as much attention to the sub itself , that would be awesome and you'd have a definite winner with it! Look forward to more!

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Very impressive.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

now thats diorama
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Great work fella. Really impressive. One constructive point. Should have water running over the top and sides of the hull where its cutting through the wave? Other than that, brilliant!!!

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Some of the best scale water in motion I have seen.
    Structure, color, whitecaps....all certifiably ass kicking......

I'm with Will on the separation though.
    The sub "seems" not quite integrated into the water.

I'm no expert though...for all I know,
    a reference photo might show just exactly what you have depicted.....

If I had these skills....I would do a high rocky crag overlooking some serious waves.
    Atop the crag I would have a wizard summoning a beast climbing up the rock face,
    body still in the water...waves crashing all around him....if I had this skill........

You should hook up with dogfacedboy and get him to sculpt a beast for you. He's great.

Add a nice wizard and you could cast the whole thing as a kit.
    I would buy it

Just sayin......

Chris

Home of the Meat Tornado MightyChad's Avatar
    That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Just incredible. Would love to know the tecchnique you used, and would love to see the effect done with Fantasy style minis, as Wheeler mentioned. Welcome to the club, and thanks for raising the bar!

Really nice sea water with its varied hues and foamy crests. You gave a feeling of depth to the water which is quite good!

For the sub, may be 'wet' it more? It seems quite dry for something cutting up waves in throve. May be some very wet trickling waters and less 'wet' areas, you would need pictures or movies snipets of a sub that just got hit by a wave to see how water trickles from it (any old war sub movies should do), it could help it to be more 'inside' the action!

Super work, keep it going strong!
    Last edited by Moradin; 05-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Colour in a Wave

Cool

WOW! Thank you guys for all that positive feedback. I am stunned ;-)

Just some quick answers to your comments/questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Willdorling View Post
    One constructive point. Should have water running over the top and sides of the hull where its cutting through the wave?
    Yes, you are right. I tried to put some water effects on top of the sub but I didn´t do much detail work. Except for some places, like the venting holes on the side of the hull were some water is pouring out, I did not put much effort into it. But basically you are right ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cfwheeler58 View Post
    The sub "seems" not quite integrated into the water.
    [...]
    You should hook up with dogfacedboy and get him to sculpt a beast for you. He's great.
    Add a nice wizard and you could cast the whole thing as a kit.
    I would buy it
    First of all, thank you for the big compliment. Wohoo, that would be one big step ahead. Maybe, one day I´ll do so. The be honest - I´d love to. Name "dogfaceboy" noted - I´ll have a look for sure. ;-)
    On your feedback: Yeah, you are right. In some places the elevation and inclination of the sub is too steep. Meaning, it looks a bit like it was lifted up. Basically a slightly lifted sub-hull was my intention because of the upward force such a big wave can create. So I imagine the bow would be lifted a bit and the rest of the hull follows. But, as you observed, the inclination is too steep which lifts the hull a bit too much out of the water. So yeah, I wanted it to look like that - well almost - but the position worked out to be a bit too extreme. Unluckily I first discovered that at the point where I actually put the "water" on the surface - but at that time it already was too late to correct. So I put a bit more "water" near the hull, but its position still is too steep. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Would love to know the tecchnique you used, and would love to see the effect done with Fantasy style minis, as Wheeler mentioned. Welcome to the club, and thanks for raising the bar!
    Thank you, it is my pleasure to be in again. Basicaly there is no real technique behind the whole process. As mentioned it is somawhat like a self-study. But I invite you to have a look at all the WIP reports on my BLOG if you´re interessted in getting some more infos about the whole process.

Again, thank you so much for your comments guys.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Colour in a Wave; 06-27-2012 at 05:10 AM.