Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slottabase tags?

Question Slottabase tags?

I have a question for those of you who frequently buy miniatures:

Do you prefer a casting to have a 'slottabase' tag at the feet for insertion into the base or not? And why?

Just a casual bit of "market research" :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Consider yourself quoted!

Yes, but not for slotting them in but because they are relatively easy to remove so I can pin and fit to a block for ease of painting. Much better than those that are moulded into a ready made base.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Ten Ball "Just dip it!" Yeah to right I will your salute entry's in bloody Hammerite and porridge!
    http://www.miniature-studio.com/

Blog Entries

I feel the slotta tab limits the placement of the mini on the base. Some bases have slots parallel to the front edge, some are diagonal. Without the tab, I can place it any way I want on the base to best fit into a unit, or for display.
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 05-02-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

I think I'd rather have a slotta but that said, I usually clip them off. Just gives you the option. As mentioned, it's easy enough to cut them off
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

If you're hoping to appeal to a wider market then I'd include a tag. It means that modellers who aren't comfortable gluing tiny feet or pinning can base their mini.

Slottabase type tab is easily cut off with pincers and or dremel.
    Broccoli bases PITA city.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Broccoli bases PITA city.
    That. Terrifically annoying

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    That. Terrifically annoying
    Lol, I have No idea what you guys are going on about! ;-)

some minis come with badly sculpted bases already attached. They look like theyre standing on broccolli
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

Battle for Alabaster info: http://studiomcvey.com/forums/index....for-alabaster/

I don't like to use slotted bases, because it's a pain to fill in the hole, but in all honesty, it's no more trouble than having to pin the miniature, as others have said, it's probably best to include a tag under the feet. But my own personal preference would be nothing attached to the miniature first, slotta second, fully integrated base attached to the feet (broccoli base) last, last by a large margin.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes View Post
    I don't like to use slotted bases, because it's a pain to fill in the hole
    Hobby centres that sell match packs for "crafting" are your friend, the matches 99% of the time will fill the gap with minor trimming of length.
    (Last time i think I got 3 bases out of one match)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Hrm...that's a new one for me. So after you fill the match in there, is the remaining gap small enough that you don't need to putty it? Being soft I'd imagine you could compress it into the exact space required. I'll have to look into it the next time I've got a slottabase on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Hobby centres that sell match packs for "crafting" are your friend, the matches 99% of the time will fill the gap with minor trimming of length.
    (Last time i think I got 3 bases out of one match)
    Hmm had forgotten that one. Awesome tip

Slotta tabs all the way as has been said already they are easier to remove than sculpted bases or even just those old fashioned flat round stand moulded to the mini and not just because those unfamiliar with pinning can still work with them easy enough but just in my experience the more delicate the miniature (like female or skeletal legs for instance) that come without a tab tend to be weaker and more prone to breakages than those with the tabs. It could just be my experience here i can't explain the reason why i can only assume it has something to do with them being bashed around during shipping even in a blister with a load of foam and snapped ankles or arms are a pain to repair when they are delicate and it's only those ones that really get effected

I completely agree about the delicateness of some mini's with slottabase tabs.
    Being totally honest RACKHAM were notorious for this issue and I've picked up a "bargain bin"(*) set of original Confrontation figures of which more than half have damaged ankles. Despite that I still do like me my Rackhams.

(* BRAGGING RIGHTS: The 1000th figure Dirz Clone Abbreration plus some random Dirz figure, turned out to be 10 Dirz figures and a perfect brand new complete Clone for £25.00. All in a shops clearance bin.)
    , and proud of it.

Thanks for your thoughts so far guys.

You'll have to forgive my inexperience in this matter, but would you say that the positioning of the tag hole is consistent with GW slottabases troughout the industry? Thought it'd be a shame to base my slottabase tag position on a GW base only to find most peeps are using bases from another manufacturer and getting crap results!
    Last edited by moonmin82; 05-07-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Another vote for Slotta base. I clip them off more often than not, but they are nice to have.
    Here is my ranking:

When life gives you lemons, demand to see life's manager!

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin82 View Post
    You'll have to forgive my inexperience in this matter, but would you say that the positioning of the tag hole is consistent with GW slottabases troughout the industry? Thought it'd be a shame to base my slottabase tag position on a GW base only to find most peeps are using bases from another manufacturer and getting crap results!
    I'm using the round edged PP style bases for virtually everything now and find that its not the position but the size that matters.
    GW, PP, Malifaux and Hasslefree bases are consistent in the slot size, its the independant makers I find are sometimes less "accurate" about the slot size/width.
    Alll in all if you are going to use slot style tabs on the base / feet of the mini I'd suggest that its good policy to ensure that the tab isn't too long or too thick for the "industry standards" of the big boys.
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

But the slot tab size is determined by the mold maker, yes? The tab was originally a part of the gate for the casting material to enter into the mold cavity using the spin casting method. But now that it has been established as a standard for attaching the figure to the piece, the tabs are now included in injection molding as well, but not really necesarry to the sculpting of the figure?

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Bloodhowl Interesting point, is it down to the caster/mouldmaker?
    A number of GW fibures I've had, have been singularly thicker in the tab due to addition lettering specifically those with names on.
    , and proud of it.