My first dreadnought

Thread: My first dreadnought

Default My first dreadnought

hey guys
    heres my first attempt at a dread it is a table top mini for ebay also I got a new camera (olympus E-410) so I'm trying to get my head around that as well so all coments on the dread and the pics would be appreciated
    thanks jason
    Name:  P5040001.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  296.7 KB
    Name:  P5040002.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  235.1 KB
    Name:  P5040003.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  264.0 KB
    Name:  P5040004.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  244.5 KB
    and heres the voting link if your up to it Img ID: 304984

Super job, love the battle damage also like how you have washed the blue on the legs to make them more weathered.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

That's really great for a gaming mini. The battle damage is very good. How long did it take to complete?

Nicely done, however I think the battle damage needs a bit more depth. Also it seems more uniform than random.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

I am not really a fan of these clean style dreads, I think they should look like the engines of death that they are. But this one is pretty good! Well done.

Newbie, please be gentle Matthew Snelson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've given you feedback and I think your first effort is great, in fact I'd like to see more "used future" minatures about the place.

thanks for all the positive feedback guys
    squid: It took about 4hours 5 at the most from sprue to the pics
    vike: yes I was not 100% happy with the damage either it kind of looks like camo but it is on the net with bids so I'm not going back to it now
    more pics here if you want a squiz http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/jason

I like it but I think you could take back the damage a notch. I think finer bits would make it look less like camo (ie small chips and scratches rather than large areas). Try using a sponge ripped into a fine wedge then use that. The beauty with that is that it starts of small but you can always build it up an an area with lots of wear and tear
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    I like it but I think you could take back the damage a notch. I think finer bits would make it look less like camo (ie small chips and scratches rather than large areas). Try using a sponge ripped into a fine wedge then use that. The beauty with that is that it starts of small but you can always build it up an an area with lots of wear and tear
    I will echo this, and say that if you are up to it, try to do some highlighting on the lower edges of the chips. That way it gives some depth. Have a look at this Marine by Todd Swanson, it has the type of highlighting I am talking about. It is very subtle, but it is there. Worth a shot at any rate, and will help get rid of the "camo look". Great effort though, keep at it.

Forgot the link:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/284535?browseid=1527472
    Last edited by MightyChad; 05-08-2012 at 07:32 AM.