Absolutely smooth blendings with the new Citadel Colors ARE possible after all!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely smooth blendings with the new Citadel Colors ARE possible after all!

Cool Absolutely smooth blendings with the new Citadel Colors ARE possible after all!

Greetings, beings!

I think after over 8 or 9 years of using CMON this may be my first original thread
    And I think it will interest some of you quite a bit!

It is about the new Citadel Colors that some of us showcase and competiton painters had a serious gripe with. Where the new colors were perfect for fast wet-in-wet blendings, smooth color transitions by use of diluted glazes and/or layers were near impossible. The reason for this is the new medium that GW uses for their paints. If you were not careful, even the most dilluted of colors would create coffee stain like ... well... stains.

I was about to give up on the new colors when I decided to test all kinds of things today and after around 8 hours I found the solution to "fixing" the GW colors for competitive painters that use blendings (not wet-in-wet).

I am sure that that there are one or two people here that would be interested in this as well, so I decided to post my findings here.

IN SHORT: Use of thinners as the ONLY form of dillution will fix the issue. I used Tamiya X-20A thinner, but I am sure other thinners will work as well. You will be able to use the new colors the same way (with much better results) than the old ones.
    This works for Layer as well as for Base colors. The results are IN-CRE_DI-BLE!

If you like a longer explanation which also sheds light on how to identfy witches and what that has to do with anything - this can be found on my blog (its a wall of text and pics, I hope its OK to link it here):
    English version here
    German version here

I was about to buy all new Vallejo - but now I wont have to

Again, I hope this is of interest to someone!

Love you all!
    Your President Big Z
    Last edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox; 05-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Interesting. I have some of the new paints, including the layer red I am using on my current WIP. I was able to dilute it with water and haven't had any staining or splotchiness.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Thank you for the thread!

The new paints just take some acclimatisation i believe.

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Yeh, I think they are wicked (enough to have bought a set of new reds, blues and yellows). To be honest they are way better than the previous paints for my style of painting.

This is a current wip of mine painted entirely with the new paints, all just thinned with water.

Quote Originally Posted by alextheartist View Post
    Yeh, I think they are wicked (enough to have bought a set of new reds, blues and yellows). To be honest they are way better than the previous paints for my style of painting.[/IMG]
    You are absolutely right. There are basically two, well maybe three main styles of painting. Layering, Wetblending and Blending. Layering does not care which color you use

The new GW colors really suited the wetblenders - some of my german pro painter friends who work wet-in-wet where very impressed with the new Citadel Colors.
    The "smooth" blenders (thin layers of diluted colors) basically could not really use the new colors all too well. Some of those pro painters said: "I am gonna buy Vallejo".

The good news is, with the above mentioned "trick" the color is perfect for both factions. I find this utterly exciting. Quality wise (pigmentation and such) I really like the new GW colors anyways.

Hmm - I have no problem using only water to thin them and use as glazes.
    " This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

Blog Entries

Nice find, Zaph!

So now it's ok o pay too much money for paints that I need yet another specialized medium to accomplish what other brands do already. I also have the privilege of stripping my wip army cause the new colors don't match the old colors and the provided conversion charts is really quite useless? And I have the pleasure of waitng a month to buy any new, way overpriced model because the quality control on finecast preceded the old paints into oblivion?
    Thanks for this thread that restored my faith in humanity. All is now roses and puppies, and Chelsea will beat Bayern.

(sorry my friend, I'm not really being snarky to you, just having a poke at GW, which is always fun.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jbickley00 View Post
    So now it's ok o pay too much money for paints that I need yet another specialized medium to accomplish what other brands do already. [..]
    (sorry my friend, I'm not really being snarky to you, just having a poke at GW, which is always fun.)
    No worries I actually see it from a different perspective. The new GW colors now fit painters of all styles - wth the thinner. And as far as the quality of the colors is concerned (pigmentation etc) they are awesome.

But I am certain that this tipp also works with for example Reaper Colors. I never painted with them, but they are said to be the smeariest paints this side of the Milky Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbickley00 View Post
    All is now roses and puppies, and Chelsea will beat Bayern.
    How do I say this delicately.... NEVER

In fairness, I hold disclose then, that I paint with artists paints, and everything gets thinned, water with som flow release is my preferred thinning method, but I do use some drying retarder if I am working with wet on wet. I mention this because it's never about the paints, it's about the painter. Your own experience demonstrates this: faced with a product that did not behave he way you wanted it to, you added medium and got a paint you can work with. Basically this process is about controlling the way paint comes off a brush. You have shown a good way of doing that- thus the painter makes the paints his own!

I really like the new paints. especially the base colours, they work like I want them to^^ The new lahmian medium is awful, however. Water is much, much better. Rooting for Bayern tbh, allways like it when PL-teams do well, but chelsea winning wont be good for my spurs:P

Oh I know Chelsea won.t win, that's the point..it's a fantasy. Of course, being an arsenal fan, I need everyone below us on the table to just lose, so we can be assured a third place finish. I also want Man U to lose on general principle. There are a lot of acrylic mediums out there, liquitex has pretty solid selection. I use golden, but that just choice, liquitex may be more widespread.

The only part wet blended on mine was the basecoat of the nmm parts. Tbh i found the blues to dilute and juice were a lot less chaulky than the old paints and were much easier to get a smooth finish.

Quote Originally Posted by alextheartist View Post
    The only part wet blended on mine was the basecoat of the nmm parts. Tbh i found the blues to dilute and juice were a lot less chaulky than the old paints and were much easier to get a smooth finish.
    I totally agree, the new paints have very few paints that are chalky. Ulthuan Grey comes to mind - its a great color, but it is chalky like hell I love the new blues and reds. And greens. And yellows. And browns... Well, you get the picture

On my latest project (non GW - "Melvin" a JMD Bust) I have been trying to mix different techniques. For example have I used wetblending on the face just to get the light the way I wanted. Now I will go back to thin layers to make it smooth as baby skin Luckily, with the above trick I can use the same colors
    Last edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox; 05-11-2012 at 06:41 AM.

I'm pretty new to the whole GW bashing, but I like the paints. Also, Vallejo has upped their prices this week, that means here in Australia, GW is now cheaper than Vallejo! yep, cheaper! I do what a few people have recommended, put all my GW paints into Reaper or Vallejo empty bottles. Ányway, back on topic, I like the new GW paints, way better than the last couple of incarnations. Some seems pointless, like the drybrushing ones, but lovely rich now. Oh, and one more thing, once we bring football into a non-football area, it all gets a bit messy. Now, no matter how good ischa's models are, I'll have to give him a low score, whereas my fellow gooner jbickley00 will have to get higher! football is more important than everything, even mini's

Today I went to local store to get those paints, but they had not got any. I have to wait at least a week to get those before I can test those myself. However it seems a bit odd if you couldn't dilute them with water in order to do thin layers.

From dakkadakka:
    With the new layer paints Games Workshop caught up with their competitors. The consistency is similar to the old Citadel Colours, so quite thin, you need to add almost no water. There are no such paint separation problems as you’ve got with Vallejo or Reaper Master Series, and just a little bit of shaking is sufficient. The paint water down, blend and mix nicely, and as they don’t dry as fast anymore, so you’ve got more time to apply your highlights. When dry, the finish is as matt as the old Citadel paints. The coverage of the paints I tried was average. Not bad, but not breath-taking either and certainly not worse. Just what you would expect when you’re familiar with the old range.
    Hmmmm....I don't know...I'm just annoyed that I didn't get change to test those myself, because some say they are worse and some say they are better than the old paints.

interesting reading, im just about to test out some of the new colours. and i only use dilluted glazes, lets see the differance. hope i still pull it off

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    interesting reading, im just about to test out some of the new colours. and i only use dilluted glazes, lets see the differance. hope i still pull it off
    Oooh, one of my favorite painters in my thread! Where is the Champagne
    You will love it

Big "Hello" to Sweden!

Quote Originally Posted by evl hmr
    I'm pretty new to the whole GW bashing, but I like the paints. Also, Vallejo has upped their prices this week, that means here in Australia, GW is now cheaper than Vallejo! yep, cheaper!
    Out of curiosity, is this per ml or outright?

Einion