lead rott

Thread: lead rott

Default lead rott

I have a fondness for old minis. A freind of mine has seen my work in person and wants me to paint 2 squads of his chaos for some old lead minis. I wanted to ask ya\'ll what this lead rott I have read about is.. and will it effect the minis over time?

I have a fondness for old minis too.

As well as a fondness for new ones...

I am not sure if Lead Rot is a real phenomenon or not. Apparently, on some of the older completely lead figs, it is an area of corrosion that sometimes leads to eating up an entire section of the mini.

I have had lots of minis and I think that one time I noticed a \'wierd spot\' on an older one. So I washed it thoroughly with soap and a tooth brush. The \'spot\' seemed to be only on the surface, and came right off.

I am pretty sure though, that if the lead rot is real, a coat of primer should seal the minis and protect them from it.

Hey Smoth, check out this thread, titled \"Lead, does it degrade?\": http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...d.php?tid=1902

Default It was also discussed in this thread...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=1098

And there is an excellent article in the thread Corvus mentioned:

http://www.dt.navy.mil/cnsm/lead_01.html

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

Default ashes to ashes..dust to dust....

Smoth...I had a box of very old minis (from the 70s) stored in a wooden chest. When I opened it last year, from out of 200 hundred minis, I have two that succumbed to lead rot. They were painted and when I picked them up they turned to gray powder in my hands. I understand that one of the causes is the composite of metals, also I learned that storing them in wood was not a good idea. :(

Originally posted by wiccanpony
    also I learned that storing them in wood was not a good idea. :(
    Why not?

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

Originally posted by Corvus
    Originally posted by wiccanpony
    also I learned that storing them in wood was not a good idea. :(
    Why not?
    a blacksmith friend told me that over a long time, the wood would chemically interact with certain kinds of metal and these minis had been in that wood chest for over 25 years.

hmm. then maybe I should recast the old minis as resin to have a preserved sculpt?